These are the members I want in my party:
1. Edwin - Fastest-leveling mage, with the most spells and best spell selection (Conjurer).
2. Kagain - The Incredible Hulk w/ gauntlets of ogre power. His godly constitution, regeneration, grand mastery and the ability to use bladed weapons and any armor makes him able to carry a party by himself. He can even rest anywhere and would still be at full health when "ambushed".
3. Eldoth - Deadly archer/wizard slayer with gauntlets of dexterity (poison arrows & spells)
4. Tiax - Full fledged thief (for BG1 standards). He can find traps with "Find Traps" spell and scout with "Sanctuary". So, all his thieving skills can be put into Open Locks. And after that, he still has other Cleric spells and can turn undead. And his "Summon Ghast" ability is awesome - a Ghast with 18/00 strength ("Strength" spell) can massacre almost anybody and is immune to effects like petrification.
That, unfortunately, leaves me with only one more companion!:
Xar (great RP, decent mage)
Montaron (great RP, decent fighter/thief)
Viconia (nice cleric + 50% magic resistance, but only a single-classed cleric who can't fight)
Shar-Teel (fighter with girly constitution, but can be dual-classed to thief)
Out of these four, I would really love to pick Xar and Montaron who are great for RP. But I can't pick both! At the same time, I can't bear to part with Edwin, Kagain, Eldoth or Tiax
That leaves me with only 3 choices:
1. Sacrifice either Edwin, Kagain, Eldoth or Tiax.
2. Kill either Xar or Montaron (which would be less satisfying).
3. Take either Viconia or Shar-Teel (giving up both Xar and Montaron).
None of which truly appeals to me. I would love some suggestions from you guys to help make up my damned mind.