Skip to content

GNU/Linux+Wine+Intel graphics

Has anyone tried this combination yet? I am running an Ubuntu Precise fork (which is basically identical for most intents and purposes) and I've got Intel X4500 graphics. I wonder if anyone already tried running the game in wine with Intel graphics and can confirm that it works/doesn't work.

I already emailed the developers about that, but I assume they don't care enough to investigate. If I'll get a meaningful answer, I'll post it here.

Comments

• shardivalshardival Member Posts: 9
    Hey! I can't answere your question - but if Wine won't work, you might use VirtualMachine with Windows on it. I had to do this, but now I had to get back to dualboot :(
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2013
    A virtual machine and Windows will not solve my problem, unfortunately. Intel graphicscards are confirmed to have problems with BG:EE, especially in Windows where some problem with OpenGL support exists.

• shardivalshardival Member Posts: 9
    Oh, sorry to hear that. I found this:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7385/important-regarding-intel-hardware-driver-issues-slow-game-performance
    It looks that devs trying to solve this. There is two things you can do (I think):
    1. Be patient - I'm pretty sure someone will fix this somehow.
    2. Ask for your money back. I'm pretty sure that this issue comes after release. How we could know about this?
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    I was pretty sure my config would cause problems, so I didn't buy in the first place. Now I'm trying to make a decission, wether or not I should buy now or wait :)
  • RaulDukeRaulDuke Member Posts: 2
    It should definitely work, I set up a dual boot and ran the game just fine on my old intel 965 through Ubuntu and Wine. I really only ran into some slow down when there would be multiple cloud kills, but it was a 100 times better than under Windows.
    Necdilzor
  • RaulDukeRaulDuke Member Posts: 2
    I should add I played all of the way through the game
    Necdilzor
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    That's strange.... and great!