Skip to content

New opcodes for modifying saving throws

Just a few suggestions that could be used to add some more sensible bonuses to classes and kits, particularly mage kits:

--------------------------------------------
Opcode: Save vs. magic school modifier

Description: Instead of altering a single given save, this opcode dynamically adjusts whatever save is called for when targetted by a spell of a specific school, e.g.

I have a +2 bonus to saves vs. enchantment spells. Someone casts a dire charm spell on me, which would usually require me to make a save vs.spells with no penalty. However this opcode means that I actually make the save with a +2 bonus.

Parameter 1: Statistic modifier
Parameter 2: School to which the effect applies (based on the values in MSCHOOL.2da)
---------------------------------------------

Opcode: Enemy saves vs. magic school modifier

Description: This one might be a bit trickier, but it is conceptually similar to the above opcode. This effect would be applied to Person A, but would only trigger on whoever Person A targetted with a spell, and would alter their saving throw roll by the statistic modifier value, e.g.

I am an enchanter, and cast dire charm on an enemy. I have the above opcode applied to myself, and a statistic modifier of -3. Now the enemy has to save vs. spells at a -3 penalty against this spell rather than the usual 0 penalty.

Parameter 2: School to which the effect applies (based on the values in MSCHOOL.2da)

Opcode: Save vs. specific spell modifier

Description: This alters the saving throw of the person it is applied to whenever they must make a roll against the specified spell. As an optional but cool extra, if the spell normally allows no save this opcode gives the chance to save with a -6 penalty for a statistic modifier of 1, -5 penalty for a statistic modifier of 2, -4 for a modifier of 3 etc. See below for an example:

I have a +2 bonus to saves vs SPWI304 (fireball). Someone casts a fireball spell (SPWI304) on me, which would usually require me to make a save vs.spells with no penalty to avoid half of the damage. However since I have this opcode it means that I actually make the save with a +2 bonus.

If the optional extra is implemented, it means that I can additionally roll to save against the other half of the damage with a -5 penalty, even though no save would normally be allowed

Parameter 2: Unused
Resource Field: The Resref of the spell file to which the bonus should be applied.

Opcode: THAC0 / Extra Damage / Casting Speed / Number of attacks by Time of Day

Description: Just like opcode 318, except extended to cover more statistics (these would be seperate opcodes).

Opcode: Turn Undead level modifier

Description: The title says it all

I know you're all probably busy, but I might as well ask!

Comments

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Some of these would open the door to some nifty new kit mechanics.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Entered these in the tracker.