Skip to content

Playing a solo Sorcerer, any advice?

What spells should I take, good equipment, stuff like that. I am actually level 5 atm, but there are still a lot of spells that look like they could be good.

Does the delay between cast become shorter as I level up? I think it does, but not 100%

Thanks in advance

Comments

• styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    No, it doesn't. But in bg2 there are a couple items that lower cast time, some dramatically. Spells, you're solo, so you want aoe damage spells, aoe disable spells, protection spells, etc.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Theres a thread called "Survivable mage tips" in the help section. I got some real good advice there.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I recommend the combo of web, haste and spider spawn. Just watch the bad guys go down w/o a fight.
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    bbear said:

I recommend the combo of web, haste and spider spawn. Just watch the bad guys go down w/o a fight.

Ive always found things like Web and Stinking cloud kind of cheesey. You can kill entire groups on enemies and they cant even fight back.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Fubby Yup. Now go read Sun Tzu's The Art of War. ^_~
    CaptRory said:

@Fubby Yup. Now go read Sun Tzu's The Art of War. ^_~

Does Sun Tzu eat cheese?

Or is he allergic

DUNDUNDUN

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Fubby Sun Tzu wrote the book on cheese. I had a Cleric of Sun Tzu in one 3.5 game... that wrecked the villain's day. Seriously.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well, points to be taken in account.

Preference to True Neutral alignment sorcerer, this way you have access to the Rabbit Familiar, which has 50% detect trap ability (lawful neutral has 20% DT, but this and nothing is the same).

charm person is your friend at the begin, make the enemies tank the enemies for you, that doesn't meant you have to pick the charm spell, just hold and use every charm scroll you come to find and rush for beregost to get algernon's cloak. If you have an lawful neutral familiar (75% pickpocket) or an chaotic neutral familiar (99% pickpocket), just pickpocket him, otherwise you have to kill him.*

Keep all the scrolls and wands of summon that you put hands on, they will save your life many times.

Focus on AoE spells more than single target ones, and specially in status spells (horror, web, stinking cloud, Emotion, greater malision and therefore on)

Control your reputation points before the chapter dreams, so you get at least the 2 horror spells and the 2 vampiric touch spells (make the last four chapters dreams happen when your reputation points are 9 or less).

* If you want to wait, in Feldpost's Inn after the bandit quest, when you have to meet Tranzig at the 2° floor of Feldpost Inn, use a charm person on algernon, start the fight and let Tranzig kill him for you with no loss of reputation.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Fubby said:

bbear said:

Ive always found things like Web and Stinking cloud kind of cheesey. You can kill entire groups on enemies and they cant even fight back.
    But I dont see how this is different than any other type of dairy products.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Sleep, magic missile, mirror image, web, horror, fireball, haste, stoneskin, fireshield, confusion are generally the most popular and powerful spells for BG:EE. However you can get creative with other spells according to your playing style. You need to get most bang out of your buck as a sorcerer, so choose versatile spells. Fireball is powerful but, it's just that, a globe of fire that can be subsituted by many items in the game.

1st lvl:Blindness is a killer spell, actually, if it works that enemy is as good as dead. Just sit back and finish him with ranged weapons. So being able to cast blindness repeatedly until it sticks is neat for a sorc. Sleep is hugely useful but there are wands for that, so not a good pick for a sorc. Magic missile is ofcourse, your default single target damage spell. Armor, shield spells etc. aren't useful in the long term as you'll get spiffy robes and bracers for defence. Charm person has its uses, its upgrade Dire charm is very expensive for a sorc, so you can cast normal charm repeatedly until it sticks. It's a good way to charm your party members back that have fallen prey to Sirines.

2nd lvl:Mirror Image is a very good defensive spell. Horror is nice but does not affect undead or constructs, and fleeing enemies are kinda annoying. Web is truly powerful, cast it repeatedly on an area, send in a fighter with free action (ring, Spider's bane sword, potion, cleric spell, etc) and he will carve up helpless enemies. Other members can help with ranged attacks, always have your mages/clerics attack a held-webbed target for a quick kill, they'll auto hit and deal damage. And if you summon spiders via spider spawn, as others said, that's downright nasty. Glitterdust is a surprisingly effective debuff, it is area-effect blind, has short duration but it will knock an enemy out of the fight for 4 rounds. Archers won't be able to see and shoot, mages can't cast spells unless there is a target they can literally touch, and fighters suffer heavy to hit penalties. All good.

3rd lvl:Melf's minute meteors is a very damaging, all around useful spell, the best weapon for a sorc. It works against everything. As I said, Fireball is tempting BUT you can cast them via wands, and wands of fire are plenty and you can recharge them at vendors. Other party members can use arrows of detonation/potions of explosions etc. to same effect. Slow is a nice debuff since it is so hard to resist, and is very debiliating, works on most anything. Haste is a nice buff but your fighter can use items (oil of speed, boots of speed, etc) for important fights so you don't need it that much.

4th lvl:Emotion:hopelesness is great area-effect disabler, it takes out enemies out of the fight for a long duration. Polymorph self is actually very interesting, mustard jelly is immune to magic and piercing damage, Flind has a +3 weapon, spider form is fast and deadly. Improved invisibility, is the best buff in my opinion:it gives +4 AC, +4 to hit, +4 to all saves, and enemies can not target you with spells! That's awesome!

As for equipment, go for Robe of Arch-magi, equip bracers of dexterity if your DEX is lower than 18, get a ring of protection+1 and later +2, girdle of piercing+boots of avoidance for supreme AC against missile attacks, ring of wizardry, cloak of displacement for save bonuses, Aule's staff+3 for melee, darts of ice/fire/acid/lightning (from High Hedge) for ranged weapon, put a stack of healing potions and wands of fire+summoning to your quick slots, so you can heal yourself, summon monsters to delay enemies and escape, or blast a group of weak enemies instantly.

• MokonaMokona Member Posts: 89
    Sleep is your best friend starting out and for a big chunk of the game. Cast it and then kick around the unconscious bodies. It's pretty fun casting sleep on big packs of enemies and then beating them to death with a staff.
  • CrawleyCrawley Member Posts: 74
    I would actually advertise against picking sleep spell and focusing on sleep scrolls/wands instead. Though the spell is really great, you will see it is quite useless after half the game is beaten as most enemies will have immunity against it.
    Taking into consideration sorcerers have limited number of spells known, I would pick something else instead.
    kamuizin said:

Well, points to be taken in account.

Preference to True Neutral alignment sorcerer, this way you have access to the Rabbit Familiar, which has 50% detect trap ability (lawful neutral has 20% DT, but this and nothing is the same).

charm person is your friend at the begin, make the enemies tank the enemies for you, that doesn't meant you have to pick the charm spell, just hold and use every charm scroll you come to find and rush for beregost to get algernon's cloak. If you have an lawful neutral familiar (75% pickpocket) or an chaotic neutral familiar (99% pickpocket), just pickpocket him, otherwise you have to kill him.*

Keep all the scrolls and wands of summon that you put hands on, they will save your life many times.

Focus on AoE spells more than single target ones, and specially in status spells (horror, web, stinking cloud, Emotion, greater malision and therefore on)

Control your reputation points before the chapter dreams, so you get at least the 2 horror spells and the 2 vampiric touch spells (make the last four chapters dreams happen when your reputation points are 9 or less).

* If you want to wait, in Feldpost's Inn after the bandit quest, when you have to meet Tranzig at the 2° floor of Feldpost Inn, use a charm person on algernon, start the fight and let Tranzig kill him for you with no loss of reputation.

I am lawful Evil, so I got the Imp. It has pretty bad HP only 9, but its polymorph is a lot of fun. I often turn it into a mustard jelly and have it tank mages like a champ. My dream is, when I get level 4 magic, I can also get polymorph, then we will combine into one giant mustard jelly.
  • MokonaMokona Member Posts: 89
    Crawley said:

I would actually advertise against picking sleep spell and focusing on sleep scrolls/wands instead. Though the spell is really great, you will see it is quite useless after half the game is beaten as most enemies will have immunity against it.
    Taking into consideration sorcerers have limited number of spells known, I would pick something else instead.

Sorry, are we playing the same game? A sampling of things sleep works on: Gibberlings, Kobolds, Goblins, Half-ogres, Ogres, Ogrillons, Bandits and other various humans including some mages, Wolves, Xvarts, Wild dogs, Gnolls, Hobgoblins, and others.

It doesn't work on undead or high level mobs, and this isn't BG2 where nearly everything is immune to it. In other words, in BG1 it packs quite a punch. You can spare a slot for it.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Fubby said:

Playing a solo Sorcerer, any advice?

Pack warm clothing. Sword Coast tends to be chilly this time of year...
  • CrawleyCrawley Member Posts: 74
    Mokona said:

Sorry, are we playing the same game? A sampling of things sleep works on: Gibberlings, Kobolds, Goblins, Half-ogres, Ogres, Ogrillons, Bandits and other various humans including some mages, Wolves, Xvarts, Wild dogs, Gnolls, Hobgoblins, and others.

It does, but after half BG1 it loses most of its values because "Monsters with 4HD+3HP or more are unaffected"
  • IrbisIrbis Member Posts: 49
    I advice getting the XP Cap remover.
    Soloing BG1 with a spellcasting class gets very frustrating with the original XP cap.
    Also, because you are alone you gain EXP incredibly fast and you'll find yourself already at the cap before you even reach the Baldurs Gate city.
    And without feeling of any progression the game gets very borring very fast.

If someone would call this cheating or playing the game not the way it should be played... well - the whole game was build around the idea of having a team. By soloing it with just one character you are already not playing it the way it was designed.

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    If you want to continue to BG2 that will affect the spells you want.