Skip to content

Journal Structure

The journal entries help you keep track of the game. I have never been satisfied with the journal’s structure, though. It is structured around chapters. This is good for the main story, but for side quests chapters seldom matters at all. Sometimes I have trouble finding a quest in the journal, simply because I have to know in which chapter I got it. To me, at least it would be better if the side quests were assorted according to main areas instead instead of chapters.

Structuring a journal is not an easy task and some quests are given in one area but completed in another. This would require two entries, one for each area. Ideally, I would like to have it that way, but believe it demands too much work to be worth doing.

As an alternative and much less work consuming for devs, the journal could simply be structured without chapter references for quests. One button/folder for quests and another for done quests, no matter what chapter they were taken in. When it comes to the main story, it should be structured around chapters, just as present.

What do people in the community think about this? Good, bad, need reworking?

(P.S. I am not talking about the bugs that infest the journal at present, feasting on its pages.)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    The journal is very buggy and almost unusable after you get more deeply into the game.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Samus said:

The journal could use some improvements...

And as he climbed the gangplank into his Ark, Noah gazed at the skies and said: 'Hmmm. Looks like a bit of light drizzle.'
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    I think the developers should take a look at how the journal was done in Planescape: Torment. Not necessarily copy it but use it as a working platform.

But I fear they'd have to rewrite a ton of code to do that. :/
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    It would be convenient if, after you begin a new chapter, any open sidequest entries you have move under the current chapter heading.
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    Could be ok. Kinda same as I suggested, you wouldn't need to worry about chapters when completing quests.