Skip to content

map travel times

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
Are the map travel times supposed to be segmented, or each as measured from the point of origin?

For example, let's say adjacent map A is moused over and it says it's a distance of 12 hours. The next map a bit farther away from that one, which we'll call map B, says 20 hours. Is it then supposed to take 32 hours or 20 hours to reach map B from the map you're starting from?

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I don't know where the 36 hour figure came from, if anything it would be 32, but it always shows the time it takes to travel from where you currently are.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited April 2013
    Lol, thanks, I corrected the figure to 32.

So it's 12 hours to map A, and then an additional 20 to map B, for a total of 32 hours? Map B is not 20 hours from the point of origin?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I don't think they are additive. The listed time is the total time to get there from where you are. Skipping over closer maps to go to farther away maps does increase the odds of an ambush, though. ("You have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself.")

I never click on greater than 20-24 hours per hike, because you might be fatigued when you arrive, and get forced into combat in an impaired state. I usually stop on all the in-between maps at intervals of about 12 hours and make camp. That seems more realistic, and it means I have all spells memorized and no fatigue if I do get ambushed.

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I think it is as @Awong124 indicated in that Map B is 20 hours from point of origin. You could easily test this out by going from point of origin to Map A and then see how far it is to Map B. You can also check the clock in the lower left hand corner.
    edited April 2013
    No, it should be 20 hours. It always just shows the time it takes to get there from where you currently are. An easy way to check is just to travel to where you want to go, and a message will say how long your journey took.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Thanks all!
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I also find it interesting that travel between map A and Map B may take longer or shorter than a return trip traveling from map B to Map A - do you suppose this is the result of "one way" trails where the trip over is on a different route than the way back? in spite of starting and ending at the same point on both maps? Maybe one way is downhill and one uphill?

Yet travel time from Map A to the next map to the north for instance takes the same amount of time regardless of whether you travel from the north side of map A or the south side of Map A....
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Wanderon said:

I also find it interesting that travel between map A and Map B may take longer or shorter than a return trip traveling from map B to Map A - do you suppose this is the result of "one way" trails where the trip over is on a different route than the way back? in spite of starting and ending at the same point on both maps? Maybe one way is downhill and one uphill?

Yet travel time from Map A to the next map to the north for instance takes the same amount of time regardless of whether you travel from the north side of map A or the south side of Map A....

When I was Yer age, I WALKED to school, UP Hill. BOTH WAYS. In the Snow, even during summertime. And we didn't have no new fangled Shoes. We wrapped our feet in news paper, and then ate that fer lunch. Ye young wipper-snapper.

Seriously, it might be that finding the way takes longer. or it could be that part of the way is up hill and coming back it is down hill. Or it could be that Old Man Willow is singing his song and leading you off track.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Ask @cerevant
    He has a rather informative map available
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Times shown should be absolute, not additive. If you find reciprocal travel times that are unequal--i.e. A to B is 8 hours, return is 12--please report it. @Cerevant is slowly stamping those out.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Do I smell a leak?

Have a look over here until a more official announcement is made :)
    Wanderon said:

I have never noticed that phenomenon.
    Nope, not (usually) a pathing issue. The engine is actually very smart - it will take the shortest time path. The problem is that the travel times were not programmed to be symmetric. This will be fixed.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    edited April 2013
    @Cerevant

Here's a couple

- from Nashkel to the next map north along the road to Beregost is 4 hours - the return to Nashkel is 8 hours.

From the first map south of Beregost (sunken house) along the road to Nashkel to the Map with the Half- Ogre that drops the +1 two handed sword is 8 hours and the return is 12

Also Nashkel to Nashkel mines 4 hours - return 8 hours
    Sorry - should have been more clear. All the travel time issues have been addressed, but the fix is not in the public release yet. The test version in the mod forum linked above is about 90% there, but there are a few bugs (the Dorn recruiting bug, plus there are a few links that have bad random encounters). The fully debugged version will go in the next public update.