Skip to content

Bonus for High Intelligence Score

bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
Like wisdom for clerics/druids, high intelligence should give a bonus (beside # spells in spellbook and memorization chance). My suggestion is that it affects the spell casting speed for all spellcasters.

-For intelligence between 3-5, spell casting speed +3
-Int 6-8, spell casting speed +2
-Int 9-12, spell casting speed +1
-Int 13-16, spell casting with no modification
-Int 17-18, spell casting speed -1
-Int 19-21, spell casting speed -2
-Int 22-24, spell casting speed -3
-Int 25, spell casting speed -4

kamuizin

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Personally I wouldn't have anything against that, I don't know how close to actual PnP is your idea. There are people who are going to be against this idea, thought.

I would like inteligence to affect the player in similar way to that in Fallout games. I mean, the more inteligence you have, the more dalogue options you have. And overly stupid characters would recieve a serious punishment :]. That's a wishfull thinking, thought.
    SixheadeddogFina92GodKaiserHell
  • AprilApril Member Posts: 39
    If you're not going to implement something like this, and I don't think you are, then I beg of you to at least allow it via modding. I think bonus arcane spell slots would be closer to the 2e/3e mix that the game is though but then the pnp rules are for a phase based system while the Infinity Engine is real time.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    High INT should be rewarded by more or better dialog options, like how it works in some other games, and how Cha works in this game.

Unfortunately this isn't something Beamdog can do.
    Iecerintkamuizin
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    There is at least one instance where a high Int can give better dialogue option.

-Solaufein dialogue in Underdark in BG2. High Int allows the protagonist to say the word "illithd". Low Int and the protagonist fumbles with "otyugh".
    CrevsDaak
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I recall that instance, but we need at least hundred of those for inteligence to stop being a dump stat. And chance of that happening are really low.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I would like to see int making something on the game, in old BG2, with ToB installed, int didn't even lock spell levels anymore, if i remember right, when i had only SoA, inteligence ruled the level of mage scrolls that could be put on spellbook, so to write lvl 9 spells you need int 18, lvl 8 spells int 17, and therefore on.

Still, int over 18 does nothing in this game actually, i liked the spell cast speed bonus/penality, many arcane enemies in the has intelligence of 19+ which would lead to more difficult battles.

From my view, int, wis, cha could have an direct effect on saving throws, int giving bonus/penality to save x spells for example, but this isn't official in PnP and should be threated with due care, maybe a mod for this (i don't like to throw ideas to mod, but without cover from PnP i don't see a better solution for the ideas).
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    @bbear - Exactly right, BG2 has one place where Int matters.

It'd be nice if BG1 had stuff like that, too.
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    Honestly, I don't think there's any reason for this change. Is the game lacking because of it? Does it really add anything to bring this on? That should be the threshold we're talking about, here.
    Consider this: would you rather that Beamdog/Overhaul work on adding new things, like kits, classes and new content, or would you rather have them devote time and energy delving into the hard-coded parameters of the game to make this really minor change?
    edited May 2013
    hmmmm, easy to answer, "minor" change. or better saying necessary change.

Int/Cha and wis a bit - 2 very neglected atributes on Baldur's Gate and 1 a bit neglected. If you play Planescape: Torment you will get what i meant.

But i doubt they're willing to make this kind of change.

Edit: I read again this post of mine and i can't understand what i wrote... damn i wasn't even drunken when i wrote this, what a crazy!
    Post edited by kamuizin on
    CrevsDaak
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    edited May 2013
    Actually Sixheadeddog, games with intelligenced based dialogue like Fallout are exceptionally fun to play and experiment with. In fact, it gives the game a lot of replay value. I also think Wisdom should play a role. Intell is just your characters ability to store and utilize information and knowledge, Wisdom is your characters cleverness. I don't like having a swashbuckler or bard with low wisdom. They're suppose to be witty and artfully tactful. Charisma has a slight affect but I would like to see NPC's dialogue change considerably for low and high Charisma. The guards should be easily manipulated for a female pickpocketing bard. "No I didn't Mr. Officer. I don't know why he's being so mean and accusing me like that :( "

I even use the 'Friends' spell to maximize her purchasing power. It's a huge discount when you have a 24 Charisma (25 once you get the tome)
    kamuizin
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    Aside from that, I do feel that wizards are extremely under powered with their one spell a day at lv 1. But I would want this across the board for all types of spellcasters or else wild mage and sorcerer wouldn't be as selectable if their advantage was undermined.
    They would be underpowered if the game restrict the sleep, but that doesn't apply, besides this i agree with everything else you said @Draith012.
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    I'm heavily in favor of them adding more benefits to the stats.

In most cases 3 of the 6 stats are the only ones useful. You can heavily dump some stats for literally no negative whatsoever.

I'm also more in favor of the char tab being updated a little better. When you click over a stat it should tell you how much to hit and how to damage you are getting thanks to this stat. Things like the regen you get every turn from high constitution should appear in the char tab.

Stats like int, wis, and char, should contribute positively or negatively to your saving throws, armor class or proficienies. Even resistances should be determined on some level by these things and it should appear in written detail in your char tab.