Skip to content

Black Pits Level Cap - Research

CronatosCronatos Member Posts: 44
Since I couldn't find this information online - specifically, how it handles dual- and multi-class characters - I decided to do some research.

Black Pits caps at level 10, not at an XP level. This is 160k for rogues/bards, 250k for mages/sorcerers, 450k for clerics/monks, 500k for fighters/barbarians, 125k for druids and 600k for paladins/rangers. It is actually capped at either level 10 or 161k xp (cap for the BG campaign), whichever is higher, though this doesn't really make a difference.

For multiclasses, xp is still split evenly between classes and the max xp is equal to that of the class that requires the most. Anything with fighter in it, for example, would be able to gain up to 500k xp. (edit: cleric/thief and cleric/mage are currently capped at 250k xp, though this may be a typo.)

For dual-classes, max combined xp is that of the second class. So a thief dualled to fighter would be able to have a total of 500k, while a fighter dualled to thief could have up to 161k.

This has some interesting ramifications. For example, a fighter/thief would end at fighter 9/thief 11, while a straight thief could only reach level 10. Similarly, fighter/druids could gain level 11 in druid, thus gaining access to level 6 spells and being more druid than a druid could ever be. (edit: this seems to be incorrect. Druids are capped at level 11 for whatever reason.)

This also means that each of the triple-classes would end at 166,666 xp in each of their classes - more than the xp cap of the main campaign.
Post edited by Cronatos on

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Thank you! ... this helps me *start* to understand the Black Pits caps at least. >_>
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited January 2013
    Oooooh...interesting!! Thanks a lot for this!

EDIT: I would want to be overpowered in Black Pits for a change i.e. without having to rely to uber potions and scrolls.
    Post edited by Illustair on
  • This fits my observations. I haven't messed around with dual-classes or the triple-classes in BP.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    I had trouble when I tried to dual class at level 9 as a Beserker, I stopped gaining XP...have you tried a fighter Thief combo like this already?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    edited January 2013
    So... To help a icalcilate like myself, when should one dual to mage or cleric to get the most out if their levels?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I found that a multi illusionist/cleric had the lower XP cap of the 2 classes and so could only hit ... 8/8 instead of 9/9. Otherwise you've worked it out nicely; it was fun to land harm against the fire giant.
  • CronatosCronatos Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2013
    scriver said:

So... To help a icalcilate like myself, when should one dual to mage or cleric to get the most out if their levels?

First, it's quite possible to complete black pits without maxing your xp. If you're looking to get every level you can, though...
    Since the max xp is that of your second class, you can never reach level 10 while dualling. Since you need at least one more level in your second class, the max for your first is 8. Since XP to next level is usually exponential, this usually defines the most levels you can get (8/9). Exceptions are when dualling to thief (where 7/8 or 6/9 is the best in every case), when dualling from fighter to mage (7/9), or dualling from fighter to druid (7/8 or 6/9).

And apparently, as Wowo noted, there are exceptions, though probably not when dual-classing.

Final note: Levelling charts, ability tables and racial bonuses can be found in the PDF manual that comes with the game, or read online, here: http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate
    I used this site as a reference for figuring this stuff out. It hasn't been updated since around when ToB was released, but the game hasn't really changed enough for that to matter.
  • If you're running a full party it's fairly easy to get through Black Pits without maxing experience. I like to grind the ice salamander fight for additional XP, as you don't need any special tactics to defeat it (like crushing weapons for the golem fight), and there are few elements of the fight that call for micromanagement (just have to watch for the ice storms).
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    2DA V1.0
    VALUE
    SORCERER 250000
    MONK 450000
    MAGE 250000
    FIGHTER 500000
    CLERIC 450000
    THIEF 161000
    BARD 161000
    PALADIN 600000
    DRUID 250000
    RANGER 600000
    FIGHTER_MAGE 500000
    FIGHTER_CLERIC 500000
    FIGHTER_THIEF 500000
    FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF 500000
    MAGE_THIEF 250000
    CLERIC_MAGE 250000
    CLERIC_THIEF 250000
    FIGHTER_DRUID 500000
    FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC 500000
    CLERIC_RANGER 600000

there ya go. Straight out of the game files. Anything part cleric, aside from a single-class cleric will not hit level 10 in any class. Anything part druid will hit 11 druid.

Dual-class seems to screw around with things, if all the xp caps aren't equal.
  • CronatosCronatos Member Posts: 44
    I'm guessing the cleric multiclass caps are typos - 250k rather than 450k.
    I hadn't tested druids, just checked them now - interesting that they seem able to reach level 11 without being tied to another class.
    I tested the other dual-classes, though - they all use the caps of their second class; they aren't related to their multiclass versions.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    CLERIC_RANGER 600000

I played a Ranger 2->Cleric dual class and I think this is true for them -- I never hit the XP cap with that char lol
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    Oy! After rereading this...I get it now...so the second class is what matters in a dual class option because of the level 10 cap.
  • BestopherBestopher Member Posts: 28
    I just finished a Cleric/Mage. He tops out at 125000 each (250000 total). So the above list appears to be correct.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    One thing that's interesting to notice is that there's about 1.2 million XP in the Black Pits, assuming you never re-do any fights.

So if you're playing a party of 4 PCs, each one will end up with around 300,000 XP, which will be over the XP limit of some classes and below the max of others.

If you're playing a party of 6 PCs, each one will end up around 200,000 XP.