Skip to content

Archer build

Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
Hi!
After reading of the possibility of a female evil thief in BG2:EE, I started playing with the idea of making an all-Evil party run, taking Dorn, Viconia and Edwin with me for both games.
I'd use Kagain and/or Shar-Teel and Baeloth and/or Eldoth (with Skie, I guess) for BG:EE.
I'd use Korgan and/or Sarevok, plus this new thief for BG2:EE/ToB.

That being said, I think I'd like to fill this party with an archer, but turns out only Good characters can be rangers.

My questions:

1) How can I make a good archer out of a fighter? Or could a bard be a good archer/overall character (I kinda want the BG2 bard stronghold)? What build should I go for (kits/skills)? I'd rather avoid multi-classing or bi-classing, by the way.
2) What good weapons (and other gear) are there for archers, in either game? Better to go bow or crossbow, given the items you can find in the game?
3) Can you make a whole BG:EE run (only the first game) without a thief in the party?
Post edited by Raistlin82 on

Comments

• francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Would you consider Coran? He is probably the best Archer in the game and he also is a multi-class fighter/thief. He is, however, Chaotic-Good. You could possibly Shadowkeeper him to Neutral or assume that his already Chaotic nature causes him to tolerate the Evil party as long as you don't go off and kill everything in sight to get a very low reputation.

Or you can attempt to build a character like Coran, who would be Neutral or even Evil. The best bet could be an Elf who gets a +1 Thaco ranged and with swords, and also a +1 Dex.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    1) Make an elf or halfling fighter.
    2) Spec crossbows or Slings
    3) Yes, but i would always keep a thief in the party, in BG1 Mages are a luxury, i would always always choose a thief over a mage.

If you want to make a Bardic archer, i'd probably got with a Skald for the bonus to hit / damage.

Or you know, you could always use EEKeeper and edit some stuff about.... the whole saga is full of illegal class/stat/etc combos, so meh.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Assuming you just don't want to cheat in an evil archer somehow:

Elven Fighter. (Human if you wanted to dual class later)
    Max out Crossbows. Then since fighters don't get free ranks in Dual Wielding, I'd go with either 2h Weapon style or Single Weapon Style to make it easier to swap out when forced into melee.
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Human Fighter to level 3 (or 6 if you want more HP) then dual Class to thief. This way you can hit Grand Mastery in Bows (or crossbow) in BG:EE. Also the closest that Evil can get to Ranger in this game, if you spend all your points in stealth.

As for Equipment, in BG:EE, Longbow is your best bet throughout the game, with the Composite Longbow getting +2 Thaco and +3 Damage, and the Deadshot +2 getting the Inverse of that. In BG 2, Shortbow and crossbow are currently the best options, for Gesen and Firetooth respectively, but who knows what might get added in BG2:EE.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited May 2013
    bard archer is great
    you got
    magic arrows
    spells
    songs
    i think jester is the best because his song confuse others(4th level spell for free)

you can consider elf or gnome fighter/mage for more spells and better archery but bard

bard is style~
    Post edited by zur312 on