Skip to content

Ajantis

Okay, I'm not a new player. I am, however a novice when it comes to Ajantis. I ditched Montaron and Xzar for Ajantis, as I have never used him before in my years of playing BG1.

I'd like some advice on how to use him.

Comments

• Social_DistortionSocial_Distortion Member Posts: 6
    Give him a good weapon, gaunts of dex (improves his AC dramatically), good armour (full plate or something) and let him tank for you. He deals some reasonable damage, has paladin abilities, and has naturally high charisma which is nice for shopping.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    He's a standard tank guy. He needs the dex gloves. Helm yeah!
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    he is like khalid but not stupidly awful + some paladin good stuff
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206
    zur312 said:

Yeah. I'm thinking of dumping poor Jaheira and Khalid, as jerkish as it sounds, for a Healer that can have Raise Dead at level 5. (Not to mention Animate Dead).
  • Social_DistortionSocial_Distortion Member Posts: 6
    zur312 said:

Khalid is actually quite good if you give him the gauntlets of ogre power though admittedly that's fairly late in the game.

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Khalid has a problem with morale and really mediocre fighting skills.
    Ajantis is quite good, if you can stand paladins. Give him a good sword, the Dexterity Gloves you get in GF, strap some good armor on him and he will make a good tank.
    Southpaw said:

Ajantis is quite good, if you can stand paladins. Give him a good sword, the Dexterity Gloves you get in GF, strap some good armor on him and he will make a good tank.

What's GF?
    Gnoll Fortress
    Oh that. Thanks.:)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I have great luck with Khalid by giving him STR gauntlets and adding prof points to long sword. He's annoying, but not so bad that I kick him. I like Jaheira, so I usually stick with the pair.
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    edited May 2013
    Ajantis can be a good tank with sword and board and gauntlets of dex or can run with a two-hander and be a decent damage dealer. His saving throw bonus is a plus and his lay on hands gives a little more utility. Use all of his Protection from Evil spells. If you're resting with any of those unused, you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: Kahild is definitely not bad if you use him correctly.
    he is bad because of low morals and there is plenty of npcs to replace low moral fighter
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    @zur312, Kahlid's low moral is rarely a game-breaker. His stats and early availability more than makes up for it. He makes a great tank and with Varscona, he can do decent damage.
    ajantis is decent tank + paladins abilities + early in the game
    kagain is decent tank + regeneration + early in the game
    @GandalfPortraitGuy - sorry man, I tried not to put spoilers in and used an acronym. If you knew that you get the Bracers of Dexterity (18dex) in Gnoll Fortress, you would have understood. Same like with the +THAC0 Gauntlets you get from Melium at the Firewine Bridge. Or the other ones you can find in a box in Baldur's Gate. Or the 6AC Gauntlets you get off the big bad mage under Cloakwood Mines......whoops.

(I did it again, didn't I ?)
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    Southpaw said:

I agree. I dislike having Khalid run away or be so easily hit by fear spells. And his whining drives me up the wall.

Ajantis is quite good and I get him as soon as I can. Even his speeches are alright..if your a parent you can put up with his constant "I fight for Helm!" comments. It's like "Are we there yet?" from the rugrats in the back seat of the car. :D
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    edited May 2013
    Ajantis is a solid tank for a good party. If you have evil team members he will eventually challenge and attack them. Ajantis, like Kagain, suffers from a low dexterity so the gloves of dex (as was pointed out earlier) are a must. His lay on hands ability adds some extra healing to the group and with a very fast cast time can be a life saver for himself or another frontliner who's about to drop. He also comes with Bastard Sword prof. (the only npc who comes with this I believe) making him a great addition to fight the Karoug encounter on the Werewolf Isles (one of the hardest fights in the game). Besides all that he has a large amount of Protection From Evil spells each day, this is a great buffing spell and should be used liberally.

The big differences between him and Khalid are thus: Ajantis has a higher base strength than Khalid. Khalid has a pretty aweful strength score of 15 which nets him a whopping +0 to Thac0 and +0 to damage. Ajantis has a 17 strength (one of the better strength scores in the game) which nets him +1 thac0 and +1 damage more than Khalid. Khalid wins outright in the dex department having a score of 16 whereas Ajantis has 12. Ajantis' dexterity is too low to grant him any bonuses but not low enough to cause penalties either; Khalid will have a -2 AC and +1 ranged thac0 compared to ajantis. Khalid also has 17 constitution to Ajantis' 16 constitution giving Khalid 1 more HP per level on average than Ajantis. The other stats don't really do mush for either NPC besides charisma which would only give bonuses while that NPC is the leader of the party. If you are using either as the leader Khalid would give you a -1 to NPC reactions while Ajantis would give you a +4 to NPC reactions and a 10% discount for buying from merchants. Keep in mind many of these penalties can be overcome with the right distribution of magical gear.

I personally feel that with the correct gear (for both NPC's) Ajantis comes out on top with his useful innate abilities which seem more useful throughout the game than Khalids ability to get mastery in longswords far down the line. I find that Khalids crappy initial stats makes him a subpar choice in the early game and his crummy morale makes him somewhat of a liability early on. I've had him bail during some important fights while he was the only frontliner and when this happens it's not a pretty sight.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    zur312 said:

He also isn't as much of a coward as Khalid.

Melancamp isn't as much of a coward as Khalid.

That's not fair. Khalid is terrified. And Does It Anyway.
  • Urd1enUrd1en Member Posts: 84
    Having a paladin in your party prevents you from exceeding lower reputation bound (otherwise paladin leaves).

It's some kind of "cage" I'd say...
    Urd1en said:

Having a paladin in your party prevents you from exceeding lower reputation bound (otherwise paladin leaves).

Yeah...Dorn and my Assassin shared a good laugh when Ajantis fell and lost his "Goody-two-shoes" powers...
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Wait, I thought NPCs can't fall?

zur312 said:

He also isn't as much of a coward as Khalid.

and what was i saying?
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    If your main is not already a warrior (ie: mage, cleric or thief) and good aligned, Khalid AND Ajantis are your best choices :

Khalid with book of dex (assuming you already have 18 dex) and gauntlets of strength + long swords ***
    Ajantis with gloves of dex + belt of big fists + book of constitution (if you don't need it for you) + bastard swords (ie: albruin).

so they have :

Khalid: 18/00 17 17
    Ajantis: 19 18 17

and they rock :-)

PS : I did not put spoiler tags because OP told us he was only a newbie concerning Ajantis ;-)