Skip to content

Dimensional Door?

To my best knowledge, the spell Dimensional Door cannot be bought by player in any shop I know of. But early today my internet shut down for about two hours, so I spent the time by finding out through console, what types of scrolls are in the game, and what haven't I found out:

Aside from a wish Scroll and both Bigbys spells, I also got Dimensional door Scroll. After scribing all these spells, I found out that not only all the spells contain all the usual description, but that you can also cast them. Bigby's spells work surprisingly as they should (I used casting from a scroll, because BG1 doesn't have high level spell slots) and while you can summon a djinn, you (not so surprisingly) can't talk to him. But that wouldn't be important, because you can't cast these spells on a regular basis without cheating.

What is more interesting is that dimensional door is a low level spell and is working perfectly - you can teleport anywhere in a line of sight. The only problem is that you can't buy this spell anywhere in the game.

So my question is: Could and should this spell be added to the game?

P.S.: The codes are SCRLb1, SCRLb2, SCRLb4 and SCRL1v.

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited May 2013
    Dimension Door is one of the spells Solaufein has in his eponymous NPC Mod (he can also teach it to Edwin in a banter). It kind of completely and horrendously unbalances the game, so I'm going to err on the side of caution and say 'no'.
  • JohnSmith921030JohnSmith921030 Member Posts: 10
    Ah, alright. Then I guess it's better for it to remain unsellable.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I think Dimension Door works better as an NPC scripted spell that allows them to warp into the scene and talk to people then use it to get out.

Also, the Enhanced Edition contains all the spells that were in BG2 and Throne of Bhaal as well, however, due to the level cap, you normally can't ever get memorization slots beyond level 5... Originally BG1 and Tales of the Sword Coast only had spells up to level 5 anyways, I don't think they're not allowed to touch drops or merchants to add higher level spell scrolls into the base game anyways.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    As Jace said.
    Btw Solaufein's DD was way more powerful than this one: you could teleport everywhere in the map with the only limit of the fog of war.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    Game designers are lazy/efficient - since the player was not intended to teleport, level design, scripting, etc are not designed to handle it; changing that would involve a lot of effort for minimal payoff.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    If Dimension door was in the game, technically, charname could use it to go straight to spellhold in bg2.
  • JohnSmith921030JohnSmith921030 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2013
    ajwz said:

If Dimension door was in the game, technically, charname could use it to go straight to spellhold in bg2.

Well, he wouldn't initially know that Imoen went to spellhold and the spell works only in a sense that you teleport to an area in your line of sight... At least it worked that way when I tried to teleport.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2013

Well, he wouldn't initially know that Imoen went to spellhold and the spell works only in a sense that you teleport to an area in your line of sight... At least it worked that way when I tried to teleport.

I think you get told she's at Spellhold quite early on... And the area in line of sight is a gameplay thing, as far as I know, the actual spell is that you can just teleport to any location you know... And maps and such of the Spellhold might not be difficult to come by so that one could get a teleport there to work.

Edit: Looking around, apparently Dimension Door has a range of 400 ft. + 40 per level of the caster... so no jumping to Spellhold with that then...
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    ajwz said:

You're thinking of the spell telelport, or better yet, teleport without error since the former has a chance to just flat-out kill you.

Dimension door is short-range.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    Alternatively, a Mage prison might we warded against magical means of transportation (much like Candlekeep is in BG1)...
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    ambrennan said:

Alternatively, a Mage prison might we warded against magical means of transportation (much like Candlekeep is in BG1)...

The usual solution to that is to cast fly and then just teleport to someplace nearby.

Baldur's Gate also lacks the spell fly, of course.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    It's really interesting to see how certain aspects of the game didn't get into the final product because the game was already great and ready to go before some of the individual problems were fixed. Dimension Door, Infravision? We should make a list.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    i remember getting this spell in the origional man i had so much fun going round maps getting on top of all the little hills that were otherwise un reachable
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    The only issue I see is in the usage of that exploit.

Otherwise, there seems to be nothing wrong with it. It's unfortunate that the exploit was not simply fixed and the spell kept intact.