Skip to content

Can spells be overwritten instead of protect from themselves?

In BGEE many spells are given effects to protect from themselves. Those effects prevent such spells from stacking up.
But in this case, a spell casted again before expiration is invalid and wasteful, and a spell must be casted again immediately after expiration to keep effects. Such spells are not flexible for casters.
We may refer to spells in NWN, which overwrite the previous spell effects when casted again.
Maybe we require a new IE effect that can remove all effects with a certain resource from a creature. The new effect will make spell effects overwriting available, and will also help a lot to combat script and MOD work.

Comments

• NeonfiskNeonfisk Member Posts: 75
    What are the spells that do this?
    I have never noticed it.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Now that's what I call fast service.
  • shohyshohy Member Posts: 9
    CamDawg said:

Heh, I actually did this a few weeks ago. It'll be in the next patch.

That's wonderful!! I'm looking forward to the new patch.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I should point out that @Coriander did the heavy lifting of adding the opcode, so she should get the love here. I only did the fiddly bits of making the spells use the new behavior.
  • TomtechTomtech Member Posts: 9
    The spells of the type you mention use Spell: Protection from Spell [206] where the resource is the spell itself. Use DLTCEP to remove that particular effect.
  • shohyshohy Member Posts: 9
    Thanks a lot to both Coriander and CamDawg!
    Another question, can effects with a certain resource on a creature be detected in scripts?
    In current scripts, effects on creature are detected with 'StateCheck' and 'HasImmunityEffects' etc, yet the detectable states and effects are restricted to a small sheet. There're still many undetectable spell effects.
    If the spell name (and also effects resource on a creature) can be detected, for example, a new ScriptTrigger 'HaveEffectRES(spcl907)' can return a result to check whether a Hardiness is taking effect on a target, smarter combat scripts will be available.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    We're looking at a new scripting trigger that would allow us to directly poll the presence of opcodes and various parameters, allowing us to bypass something like Detectable Spells. I.e. you could directly check if a creature is under the protection of opcode 101/level drain instead of checking a stat for it.