Skip to content

What race combines with more "Assassin"?

What race combines with more "Assassin"?

Which race receives more beneficial bonus for class "Assassin"?

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited May 2013
    I'd say either Elves or Half-Orcs.

Elves for their +1 THAC0 with swords and bows. (Surprising enough, one of Assassin's less known combos is a shortbow with poison arrows and poison on weapon special ability. The mobs won't even be able to move.)
    Half-Orcs for 19 strength and better backstab power and better melee THAC0.

If you like to play a backstabbing/fighting machine - Half-Orc, if you want a mix between a ranged and sneaky thief - Elf.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    As @Southpaw said. My personal preference is 'Human' for the option to dual-class if you want a little more diversity.
    Mine too, but Assassin is not a good class to dual-class from.
    A classic Fighter->Thief is much more common.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Assassin --> Mage is a lot fun tho.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    halfling, the extra racial thieving skills + dex bonus really help the reduced thieving skills penalty
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I'm gonna go ahead and agree with @Southpaw . Even if he is one of those sinister left handed people. =-p

Assassin really comes into his own later on as they have slow skill growth and their backstab multiplier only goes up at the same rate as other thieves even if the maximum multiplier is higher at the end.

So, if we're only talking about using an assassin within BG:EE you should probably grab a race that will make the class more playable now. The Strength and Con bonuses of Half-Orcs will help you hit things and boost your HP getting you to the point where you can regenerate hit points. You could get the buckler at the Friendly Arms Inn right out of Candlekeep and start regenerating HP (19->20) All the extra Con lets you take advantage of that evil ring sold at High Hedge which would help a lot since thieves are kind of squishy and don't gain extra hp past Con 16.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Assassins rock. But you have to be smart about it and use tactics, instead of just attack face-first.
    One does not simply walk into Underdark...