Skip to content

Please help me justify a Barbariam growing up in Candlekeep.

Barbarian is one of my favorite single classes. I just can't figure out a way, from a RP perspective, that a Barbarian grew up in Candlekeep.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    CHARNAME may have lived in Candlekeep, but that doesn't mean that he/she spent all their life within its walls. Surely there were expeditions into the surrounding woods. For fun at first, little trips and walks - but soon they became longer and longer, until CHARNAME spent more time outdoors than inside, and more than one night under the open sky. Running through the woods seemed much more... real than studying musty tomes, and the confines of civilization seemed more and more like shackles.

That's the start of it. You are level 1 after all, so there's a notion, an inkling towards life as a barbarian. The rest, of course, is for you to play out.
    DJKajurubbear
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    He may have always had a chaotic, violent spirit and maybe read stories about great barbarian heroes.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    One of the guards is a Barbarian that came to Candlekeep through working with Gorion. The Barbarian notices something wild about CHARNAME and takes him/her under their wing to train in the ways of the 'Warrior' (think Worf On Star Trek). This Barbarian is a valued member of Candlekeep but still honors the 'old ways' and customs of his people and imparts them to his new ward. He teaches CHARNAME about fighting styles of the Barbarian tribe and about the rituals necessary to be a Warrior of the (fill in where the barbarian comes from). He teaches CHARNAME to channel his rage and to become a true Warrior in the traditions of his people. When CHARNAME comes of age, the old Barbarian imparts the final test and 'Graduates' him to full barbarian.
    MortiannaKlorox
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Thanks guys.

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Your life with the old, grumpy mage was not always sunshine and rainbows. Constant homework, chores and duties took too large part of your childhood to ever remember anything else than work.
    And Gorion was ever so demanding, never allowing you to take a rest, or play. Learn, practice and work. Learn, practice and work.
    Not having a mother to soothe you, sent you downwards in a spiral of frustration and depression.
    Then, you found a way how to let the steam out.
    You started to harness your inner rage, shape it and sometimes...let it out.
    Especially during the practices.
    It feels so right, to clutch a sword and immerse yourself in your primal instincts. To dominate and destroy the enemy.
    This is your life.
    And one day ...
    ...you WILL. BE. FREE.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    Being a barbarian isn't the same as being a savage, y'know.

You can very well be a civilized and well mannered person and still be a barbarian. Although this does remind more of the Berserker kit for fighters.
    (Wulfgar, a huge barbarian, Drizzt's companion. Orphaned in war with the towns of icewind dale, taken in by Bruenor and pretty much raised like a Dwarf.. still very much a barbarian. Although he is educated, civilized and well mannered)

Whenever i roll a barbarian i sort of envision a combo between Ranger and Berserker. A woodsman, a free spirit who loves the outdoors and avoids the confines of cities, and knows how to live of what nature offers, but also one who can throw himself into raging madness and go completely bat shit crazy in combat.
    Kind of like Minsc, I guess.

Many ways to go about it..
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    The fact that you start at level 1 helps justifying a lot... I mean, CHARNAME has no real experience at all, but they have heard and read of stories of different kinds of heroes and such... So CHARNAME most likely just have some basic knowledge of whatever class you him/her make be... And by following what they've learned about it, eventually they'll figure it out.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803

=> he could be a f*cking spoiled child who frequently runs into berserk mode when his wishes are not satisfied.
    Freche
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    He played a lot of heroquest with gorion as a child.
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    edited May 2013

He grew up a poor speller :)
    KloroxWolk
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    edited May 2013

He grew up a poor speller :)

LOL, as a self-proclaimed grammar and spelling nazi, I'm surprised I missed that one! I've probably become too reliant on auto-correct.
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    You can take into account the fact that CHARNAME is a only a lvl 1 Barbarian with 0 experience. This implies that you simply express your inclination to become a Barbarian, but you're not a *real* Barbarian yet. Sure, you can swing a weapon with moderate accuracy, run a bit faster than others and drive yourself into a rage once a day, but if you want to swing your weapon with deadlier accuracy and train yourself to rage more frequently and powerfully, as well as resist physical harm just as the real mighty Barbarians do (in other words, level up!) you must get out of the walls of Candlekeep and actively master the powers you wish to possess while trying to survive in the dangerous wilderness (in other words, gain experience!)
    CaptRoryKlorox
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Also, the rage, depending on alignment I guess, Gorion's death might be a trigger for CHARNAME to start raging... Just think about mr. big bad armored figure killing Gorion and CHARNAME goes on a rage wanting to kill him.
    CaptRory
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Kaltzor I wish you could tag comments with Like and Agree.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    edited May 2013
    Well given the storyline that you are the blood of the lord of murder this shouldn't be too difficult...
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    You could simply go for the 'uncontrollable fighter'. You were always a scrapper growing up and no matter how much the guards at the keep tried to train you in discipline, you always fell short and became angry very easily - likely due to the darkness inside of you. Think of yourself as a reckless warrior who never took to training well.
    CrevsDaak