Skip to content

NPC (Dorn) has a wrong portrait thanks to CHARACTERNAME using his.

SyrophirSyrophir Member Posts: 12
edited December 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Is there a way to use the inteded portrait for an NPC after the npc has joined the party and you have progressed quite a while afterwards, but not wanting to start a new game?

This would be easier if NPC used their own portraits no matter what, player can always change their own in game but for the NPC it's not so simple.

Edit: If it is doable, enabling appearance change (at least portraits) feature for companion NPC would make things easier.

Thanks
Post edited by Syrophir on

Comments

• MorrinnMorrinn Member Posts: 9
    I'm not sure.
    I made the same mistake with Rasaad and wound up loading a previous save game before meeting him, changing my portrait, and then engaging him in dialogue.

If you already have Dorn in your group and no prior saves, you might try removing him from your group, Leaving the area, changing your own portrait, and return to pick him up again. Worth a shot...
  • ChrisYuiChrisYui Member Posts: 94
    This is likely working as intended, as this was how the portraits functioned in vanilla BG1. I am still unsure as to why you were allowed to select NPC portraits in vanilla BG1 / BG2, but this should still be a feature request instead of a bug fix.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @ChrisYui Most of the character portraits in the original game are NPC portraits. If you know whom you are going to take along you can select something else, but otherwise this was pretty much bound to happen.
  • SyrophirSyrophir Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2012
    Oh yeah, should have posted this to "Feature Requests" section. Either enable NPC appearance (portrait) change or force them to keep portraits, would actualy prefer the former.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @Syrophir
    Happy?
    Will see, but thanks. ;-)
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Out of curiosity. What portraits do the new NPC's use if you chose their default portraits as your own?
    edited December 2012
  • NalimNalim Member Posts: 19
    Does anybody know the original filename of the portrait linked above? I have a similar problem and could fix it easily if only I knew the filename to override...
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Nalim said:

Does anybody know the original filename of the portrait linked above? I have a similar problem and could fix it easily if only I knew the filename to override...

MAN2G, MAN2L, and MAN2S for the three sizes.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Syrophir said:
    Dorn with this portrait is all worlds of wrong. Hilarity too.
    [Deleted User]Iecerint
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    For the record, you can change NPC portraits with EE Keeper - easier than messing with files or restarting the game.

Arguably, the feature request would be " Make more char portraits" since a clash is virtually inevitable since most of the generic portraits are a bit rubbish.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    @Eudaemonium said "Dorn with this portrait is all worlds of wrong. Hilarity too".

When I first started introducing portraits and wanted to change Imoen, I ended up with the same clean cut male fighter that you're referring to (in the @Syrophir link). Talk about hilarity.

• francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Also interesting. Since I had the original problem with Imoen's portrait, I've changed many NPC portraits such as Khalid, Imoen, Jaheira, Coran, Branwen etc. , but I've always placed them in the Portraits folder, not the override folder, and it works. I also keep all my new portraits for PC's in the same folder.
  • ArchnecromancerArchnecromancer Member Posts: 17
    Most NPCs have illogical portrait swaps (that don't correspond to thair race and class). I made a separate request regarding that problem and proposed a solution:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18602/logical-portrait-swaps-and-other-cosmetic-changes