Skip to content

Where can the earliest Wand of Fire be found?

I've read you can find one "right after leaving Candlekeep" a few times on here in the short amount of time I've been a member of these forums. I can't remember finding one so early. Please help me out here!

TIA

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    They might be referring to the one in the ankheg nest. Its the map area north of the Friendly Arms Inn that looks like a farm. Ankhegs are way tough so you'll need to sneak someone in, grab it any anything else you want, and sneak out again.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    That's far from easy!!!
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited May 2013
    Or they might be referring to the Ulcaster Dungeon, where it's just lying on the floor--probably dropped by some poor sap.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2013
    Get the invisibility potion from Jaheira and you can go in invisible to Ankheg lair. You need to be able to get out too, once you pick up the wand your inv. will be gone. There is another potion of invisibility and a wand of lightning in Beregost manor. Or have a character with max hide in shadows or good stealth, Zhurlong's boots of stealth help there too. Chug an oil of speed if you are going to retreat fast from Ankhegs. You may outrun their acid spits. Maybe.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited May 2013
    It's worth the risk...50 charges of 6d6 fireballs is enough to clear pretty much every encounter through chapter 5, spamming them no matter what you're up against....using them only when needed, it can last all game. (the Wand of Lightning, mentioned above, is ALSO very nice and completely safe to pick up.....but...it can bite you in the ass if you don't aim carefully or attempt to use it in tight quarters...of course on the other hand...if it bounces just right, it can utterly destroy encounters.)
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,178
    I regularly loot the Ankheg lair just with potion of speed. Ankhegs move slowly and most of times they won't even be able to attack you if you choose the right path. Just the one guarding the tresure sometimes manages to give one hit, but warrior is able to survive that.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Especially if you're resistant to acid. High Hedge sells acid resist scrolls I think. And Cavaliers are naturally resistant. Though its best not to get hit at all obviously.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Purchasable from high hedge I think
  • Urd1enUrd1en Member Posts: 84
    underground cavern at Angkheg's area,
    just north to Friendly Arm Inn.

watch out - that area is hard enough for level 1 party... although, you can sneak in the cavern and steal the wand.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Nah, Thalantyr just sells sleep, fear, and.....think that was it...The merchant at the edge of Durlag's Tower's entrance zone sells one, and If memory serves a wand of monster summoning. And of course in BG you can buy pretty much every kind of Wand, but that's past the 1/2 way mark, so doesn't really help the early game.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Here: