Skip to content

When do YOU burn out?

revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
When Playing through BG, when do you typically get bored/get bitten by the new character bug?
  1. When do YOU burn out?168 votes
    1. Before Nashkel Mines
      11.31%
    2. Before Bandit Camp
        3.57%
    3. Before Cloakwood
        7.14%
    4. Before Baldur's Gate
      13.69%
    5. Before Returning to Candlekeep
      17.26%
    6. In Tales of the Sword Coast content
        8.93%
    7. Before The Final Battle
        1.79%
    8. In BG2
        1.79%
    9. In TOB
      15.48%
    10. I take most of my Characters ALL THE WAY!
      19.05%

Comments

• revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Usually when on the cusp of Durlag's Tower, that dungeon is just SOOO LONG.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Ususally Tob....the drop quality is very apparent and I just hate how utterly linear it is, to the point I dread starting it.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    Normally shortly after finishing Nashkel mines. By that point I've had the character long enough to start wishing I'd done something slightly differently, or had simply picked a different class. It's also the point at which I start thinking about long term party choices (I normally just head to Nashkel with the first few people I can grab), and then realise that my PC is not a particularly compatible 6th member of my ideal party. Which is silly, since I reckon you can play BG with pretty much any party combination, but there you go!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Whenmy char dies stupidly. I tend to lose interest and start anew. I think I'm becoming more and more of a hardcore gamer. ^^
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    I'm a chronic restarter. I have so many games saved right after character creation, and others I get bored of right away.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    edited June 2013
    I try to take my characters all the way. I've only failed at doing so a couple of times...usually because I don't touch that game for a couple of days.

Edit: Grammar was bad.
    Post edited by SapphireIce101 on
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I get burned out in or right before Baldur's Gate. I try to do almost everything before going there (I leave the TOSC stuff off til after i go through most of the city of Baldur's Gate) but its basily retreading everything I've already done up and down the sword coast but with more fetch quests and random buildings to explore 'cause I'm a crazy completionist.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    Within BG1 I burn out around Cloakwood, that part is fairly tedious for me. Within BG2, it is definitely the whole Spellhold quest line. I might get up to the underdark but I always feel compelled to do all three mini dungeons and that can take a while. As for BG2:ToB, it is after leaving Saradush, I get so bored having to chase down the Five.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    I often finish from the start, but when I dont its usually in TOB around yaga shura time, because you gotta go to the swamp, then his fire giant caves, and thats just not a very fun area.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Irenicus Dungeon. Thank the Elder Gods for "Dungeon-Be-Gone"!
    @Kamigoroshi I'll agree with you there. Its not so bad occasionally but if I find myself having to do it over and over and over again for whatever reason... Blurgh. The old saw that "A game should be fun from the start, not twenty-hours in." comes to mind.

The first time you play Irenicus' Dungeons, it does a great job setting up the mood of Irenicus. His personality. The mad wizard thing. And really helps differentiate the second game's mood from the first's.

The fiftieth time its just beyond annoying
  • GishGish Member Posts: 74
    The bandit camp's always been a make or break for me. I feel like if he isn't able to face a heated battle against low level bandits without drinking potions each of his turns then its time to "see other people".
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Looks like I'm not the only one whose interest in a character typically only lasts so long...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited June 2013
    I'll get that feeling of ennui around the time I'm considering whether or not to take on Durlag's tower. It's a long dungeon crawl (a great one, but long). Because once you enter it feels to me like in for a penny, in for a pound.

In the BGT games I used to play I'd get a similar feeling around the time the party entered the Underdark.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    To anyone who said, "I take most of my Characters ALL THE WAY!" I envy you.

Like others, I have issue with all the ridiculous number of silly quests in Baldur's Gate; but what's worst for me is how many wilderness areas I tend to have left at that point as well, because I seem to be fond of picking up any NPCs I want before I do a whole heck of a lot of exploring, including someone SUPER late game like Alora or Skie. But I like to explore said areas around levels 3-5, sooooo that's kind of a problem.

Guess I'll have to find a way to deal with all that. I don't think it'd be such a problem if I didn't insist on hitting the experience point cap.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    I've left two parties part way through Durlag's Tower. It no longer feels like the same game there. I get no feeling of adventure just the tedium of getting through the next trapped room. I don't feel the excitement of adventure any longer. All I feel is "Let's get through the damned thing".

Also, it feels anti-climactic. Actually frustrating. If ToSC is installed and you're excited because you are getting close to finishing Sarevok, instead you have to trek through hell with no meaningful relationship to the overall story before you can finally get to the real climax of BG1.

Durlag's Tower seems like a one-off game that I feel should have been offered separately, at a reduced rate, to tide fans over while waiting for BG2.
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    I love the whole BG2 but after doing spellhold for the 99th time I get bored of all the riddles
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I dont play BG that often, but when I play, I play all the way.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    franco said:

I've left two parties part way through Durlag's Tower. It no longer feels like the same game there. I get no feeling of adventure just the tedium of getting through the next trapped room. I don't feel the excitement of adventure any longer. All I feel is "Let's get through the damned thing".

Also, it feels anti-climactic. Actually frustrating. If ToSC is installed and you're excited because you are getting close to finishing Sarevok, instead you have to trek through hell with no meaningful relationship to the overall story before you can finally get to the real climax of BG1.

Durlag's Tower seems like a one-off game that I feel should have been offered separately, at a reduced rate, to tide fans over while waiting for BG2.

After the first time, I never completed Durlag's again. It just seems completely unnecessary since it has nothing to do with the main story and more importantly, none of the items carry over to BG 2.

• OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    I'll go through a phase where I restart half a dozen times before I really get to like a CHARNAME and finish a game
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Before the end and then I start a new game.
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    As much as I love Cloakwood as an area, I cringe every time I come to that point of the game, knowing I'll have to trek across 4 maps of forest, deal with those horrible shrieking web traps, and then go clear out ANOTHER mine when really I just want to start nosing about the big city.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I like Cloakwood. After playing the game many times you know where the traps are and can have them disarmed.

But those spiders are annoying with their poison.

Not to mention you are far away from any stores to sell your loot. :\
    I usually have to trek back to the Friendly Arms Inn at least once during the Cloakwood portion to sell and buy mroe ammo.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I have save files with characters freshly started in candlekeep, saved FILES, as in more than one, sometimes I burn out as soon as I click new game, ah getting older sucks :(
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    if i burn out its usualy at the start of the game usualy because i struggle to make characters that interest me after 10 plus years of baldurs

if i make it thru the intro though i usualy go all the way