Skip to content

How to aim Color spray?

Okay I suck at using this spell, though is inferior to sleep spell in every respect, but is more flashy and cool-looking. And I have it as starter spell when I rolled some virtual dice to randomly choose which spells to put into my book. Problem is, I can't make it hit enemies. It can be casted over an area, so I cast it on the area of advancing gibberlings, and they all waltz through it without a saving throw. And sometimes I hit party members and they fall uncouncious. Do I have to target a single enemy, to make sure it is affected. Also, how it is determined that how many targets are affected by the spray? Any strategies at all? I never seem to make this spell work as intended!
SCARY_WIZARD

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Weren't spray spells not working correctly? I remember trying to use some and getting poor results.
    SCARY_WIZARDlunar
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    It's probably best if you target a given enemy when casting. This won't guarantee that you will hit that as the spell should simply target where the monster was when you click on it. In order to get it to not attack your party, you just have to be careful. it does shoot out a cone that starts at the caster, so just make sure that you are pointing it away from any party members.

I find it a decently useful spell. It is superior to Sleep in that it will actually effect higher level monsters whereas sleep is capped at 4. Also, if you are higher level than the monsters you are casting at, Color Spray doesn't have a saving throw. But as with any cone effect spell, it can be tricky to cast.
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I used to use Color Spray all the time before. And it just isn't working like it used to. =(
    lunar
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    edited May 2013
    I always have had trouble casting a spell like color spray because it spreads from the caster into a cone. This means you have to choreograph to get your own party members out of the way. I think you also have to judge how wide that cone is going to be as it expands. But I always felt that an area has to become open in front of your caster where he's not protected by his own party members. But if during the battle an enemy does manage to get up directly in front of your caster, it is a good quick spell to have.

In your early experience did you ever remember damaging party members with Aganazzar's scorcher because you didn't get them out of the way? Eventually, you get to estimate how wide a lane you have to keep open to use it. I think color spray's cone opens wider. I'll never forget casting the scorcher on a Wyvern, but the beast kept flying from left to right and the fire beam kept changing its angle from caster to the target. My other party members had to scamper like hell to outrun it.
    lunar
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @Mortianna - the spell description on PlanetBaldursGate.com indicates
    This spell creates a vivid, fan-shaped spray of clashing colors to spring forth from the caster's hand. From one to six creatures within the area are affected in order of increasing distance from the wizard. All creatures in the area above the level of the caster or ones that have greater than 6 hit dice (or are greater than 5th level) must make a saving throw vs. spells. The spell's effects depend on the caster--creatures with hit dice/levels less than or equal to the caster are knocked unconscious for 2-8 turns, those with hit dice/levels one or two greater than the wizard are blinded for 1-4 turns, and any other creatures are stunned for 1 turn.
    Which seems to indicate that it effects any level creature, not just those below 5th. Anything above 6 hd get a saving throw. Not sure how accurate that is, but I would probably take that over the manual.

Not saying it is a great spell, but it does have it's uses.
    lunar
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited May 2013
    @the_spyder Color Spray doesn't affect creatures with 5 or more HD. It allows those 4 or below to make a save to avoid falling asleep.
    lunar
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    edited May 2013
    Hey folks. The implied question in the title is "How to...AIM...color spray". With the mage usually behind the front lines, it gets tricky.

But thanks for clearing up its characteristics. I see there may have been changes in the definition of the spell along the way to BGEE>
    lunar
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Okay, I am starting to believe these spray shaped spells are bugged , somehow. Anyone tried cone of cold and prismatic spray spells? They miss targets often, too. Weird.

I use color spray to knock out non-hostile characters so I can rob them without them calling the guard. Sleep doesn't work on non-hostiles. That's about the only thing I use it for.

Ooh, do they turn hostile when they wake up? Or do they have retrograd amnesia? This spells seems to be the perfect fit for a thief/mage or unscrupolous bard.

francoCaptRoryQuartz
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    lunar said:

Okay, I am starting to believe these spray shaped spells are bugged , somehow. Anyone tried cone of cold and prismatic spray spells? They miss targets often, too. Weird.

Yeah, it's a problem with all cone-shaped AoEs.
    lunar said:

Ooh, do they turn hostile when they wake up? Or do they have retrograd amnesia? This spells seems to be the perfect fit for a thief/mage or unscrupolous bard.

Color Spray usually turns people hostile right away, but if they aren't hostile when they go to sleep, they won't be hostile when they wake up. In either case, they won't be in any state to call the guards.
    lunarNecdilzor
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    It's kind of hard to aim when you try it the first few times. The way it works for my caster is to stand about 5 ft away from a crowd of enemies. I think the actual range of the cone is between 10-15 ft.
    lunar
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited June 2013
    Testing it.. The "cone" area seems to be bugged to be a straight line...
    lunarCaptRory
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I give up, this spel is frustrating. Will delete from the book to open up space for useful spells. Give me sleep, charm person, blindness and magic missile and I will be happy :-)
    CaptRoryMortianna