Skip to content

Korax the Ghoul

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited May 2013
    Korax the Ghoul would make for an excellent recruitable NPC indeed, as well as an unique male love interest for lonely necromancers. Now, if only he wouldn't be as fast as a paralyzed snail...
  • brynbryn Member Posts: 36
    I love him "Korax good dog, yes, good dog!" When the charm runs off I run away, I wouldn't want to kill him after he give vital help with the basilisks
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    I've always had Korax join as a permanent party member.
  • CorpusDelictiCorpusDelicti Member Posts: 45

Now, if only he wouldn't be as fast as a paralyzed snail...

Throw boots of speed on him. :)
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Many of us like Korax. Me too. But I've always been bothered a little that he shows up just at the most convenient location and time to help the party, just at the time and location before they reach the Basilisks. If the player uses him, I think Korax should soak up most of the experience points in the Basilisk encounters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArchnecromancerArchnecromancer Member Posts: 17
    I would like the charm spell cast on him to last longer so that he can be used to kill more basilisks (or maybe have him turn hostile only when you have spoken to Mutamin or that adventuring group in the map). With current charm duration (and his slow walking speed), you don't have enough time to use him to clear even half of the map, and I think he was put in there to help you with fighting most basilisks in the map (so you don't have to use cheesy tactics to beat those basilisks without your party getting turned to stone).

Of course, it is only my opinion, I understand if someone doesn't like the idea of using him to do the most killing...
    Having Korax show up is like entering a castle of vampires and having a +3 sword versus vampires as well as protection against level drain show up on the doorstep.
  • ArchnecromancerArchnecromancer Member Posts: 17
    franco said:

Having Korax show up is like entering a castle of vampires and having a +3 sword versus vampires as well as protection against level drain show up on the doorstep.

Although this one looks stupid like you described it, I think it was made on purpose to be that way. Since you can access this location very early in the game, it was probably not meant to be very challenging, so that's why they put Korax in it to make the area clerable at that early point in the game. Otherwise it would have been made accessible only later in the game.

You can also use Tiax to summon a similar killing machine if you wait until Baldur's Gate to clear the area (I haven't tested that, just a thougt).
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257

Korax the Ghoul would make for an excellent recruitable NPC indeed, as well as an unique male love interest for lonely necromancers. Now, if only he wouldn't be as fast as a paralyzed snail...

I actually love this idea, I just read the books and he came across as one of few gems in there. Please keep him slooooow as I LOVE npc's for their personality more than stats etc.

edited May 2013
    @Archnecromancer. There's something to what you say, but I've done the Basilisk location easily without Korax. Spell Protection from Petrification to go on one or two of your fighters, and also Animate Dead to get some additional creatures on them. Also get the rest of your party faaaaar away.
    Post edited by franco on
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    @franco: Yeah, it's really not a hard area if you're even remotely prepared. Basilisks are basically just bags of experience if you have Protection from Petrification scribed (or even have a few Potions of Mirrored Eyes on hand). That said, not everyone knows the game as well as those of us who frequent these forums. Korax is there so the people who didn't know what they were getting into could have a fighting chance, and I think he does a fine job of that.

That said, I wouldn't oppose a plan to expand his role in some way. It wouldn't be that high a priority for me, but he's a cool character and if there's enough time and money I'd say he deserves more screentime.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited June 2013
    @Franco

You mean like attacking Bodhi's lair and find a mace of disruption just past the door that can be immediately upgraded to grant immunity to level drain, forces undead at every hit to save at -2 or be destroyed, and hits as +5?