Skip to content

Ring of Animal Friendship

KifadaKifada Member Posts: 17
Especially when soloing I always try to give a chance even to the seemingly less useful items in the game, but I never understood how to use effectively the ring of animal friendship.

It seems to me that it might only works on bears and some wolves, but at the point in the game you get it you shouldn't bother about them. It would be nice if it could be used on spiders, but they are monsters (BTW do you think this is fair? ).

Has anyone found an effective way to use that ring apart from recruiting an army of squirrels?

Edit: I am refering to BG1

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I use it to turn bears against my enemies. Also, even when it isn't useful I like keeping it 'cause it's cool to have it.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Never used it myself. Killing them is much less time-consuming.
    But I also keep it, cause you know, "just in case". Even though I know it will never be the case...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Never really seems worth it. I always pawn it unless I am a druid character. In that case sometimes I'll wear it for RP reasons.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Does it work on winter wolves or ankhegs? I guess they are considered 'monster' instead of animal.
  • KifadaKifada Member Posts: 17
    lunar said:

Does it work on winter wolves or ankhegs? I guess they are considered 'monster' instead of animal.

If I remember correctly winter wolves are animals while ankhegs are monsters. This is resonable I guess, but I don't agree in considering spiders as monsters.

• WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Early on it would be useful for recruiting bears or wolves to attack your enemies especially for a squishy party except both the ring and the spell seem to fail for me as often as they succeed which is not so useful for that same squishy party who might have just wandered on around the bear without making it hostile.

This is especially true for the one using the ring or spell as it seems to be a "touch" spell and when it fails you then find yourself standing next to an angry bear...oops

That said I like to use for RP reasons for rangers or druids anyway.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    There are several place where the ring could be useful. I am thinking specifically of that bear that is on the bridge in the area where there are several bands of roving Hobgoblins with poison arrows about. The bears make for nice distraction while you finish off the Hobbies.

And as has been stated before, it is a nice bit of Flair for those Druids among you. Remember, Fifteen is the "Minimum" amount of flair necessary. You don't want to just do the Minimum, do you?