Skip to content

Potion of Power doesn't work

mzorichmzorich Member Posts: 34
edited June 2013 in Not An Issue
Hello. Sorry if this has been posted already... I now know why people say the search function isn't great.

CURRENT BEHAVIOR:
The Potion of Power isn't functioning correctly. It gives the HP boost and the THAC0 reduction as it should, but the boosts in thieving abilities seem way out of wack (most thieving stats it gave no boost to, those it did it didn't give enough of a boost to (It's supposed to be a 20% boost but it moved Pick Pockets from 35% to 37%??))

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:
The Potion of Power should boost HP 20%, reduce THAC0 20%, and boost all of the listed thieving stats by 20% as the description states. (and while we're on the subject, the description should maybe be changed to also boost Detect Illusions & Set Traps, which currently aren't listed as they weren't in vanilla BG1)

THANKS!
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    The potion of power lists increases for 'base only' stats. I'm assuming this is exclusive of dexterity and class bonuses (at least that's the way it's working).

Basically you'll only get bonuses to stats which you increased yourself.

For example you have probably put 10 points in Pick Pocket. You get 15 to start with for being a thief and a further 10 for a DEX of 18 (total 35). Only the 10 points you improved gets the bonus. In this case 20% of 10 is 2.

35+2 = 37.

The stats which got no boosts are the ones which you haven't increased at all.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    mzorich said:

(and while we're on the subject, the description should maybe be changed to also boost Detect Illusions & Set Traps, which currently aren't listed as they weren't in vanilla BG1)

It doesn't boost those abilities in either game.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited June 2013

The potion of power lists increases for 'base only' stats. I'm assuming this is exclusive of dexterity and class bonuses (at least that's the way it's working).

For example you have probably put 10 points in Pick Pocket. You get 15 to start with for being a thief and a further 10 for a DEX of 18 (total 35). Only the 10 points you improved gets the bonus. In this case 20% of 10 is 2.

35+2 = 37.

I thought this too at first, but then I tried it out ingame. My character had 95 in Hide in Shadows and Move Silently, and got no boost from the potion for one of them and +10 to the other (I don't remember which one got boosted and which one didn't). He also got the +2 to pickpocket that the OP got. Pretty sure the potion's bugged.

Edit: nope, @Flashheart may have been right after all. The reason I didn't get any bonus to move silently is that, according to the description, the potion doesn't actually increase move silently (although I have no idea why).
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • mzorichmzorich Member Posts: 34
    Jalily said:

mzorich said:

(and while we're on the subject, the description should maybe be changed to also boost Detect Illusions & Set Traps, which currently aren't listed as they weren't in vanilla BG1)

It doesn't boost those abilities in either game.
    Sorry, I was typing too quickly and didn't write what I meant to say. I meant to say that since the potion "affects... thieving abilities" according to its description, that it might make sense if it also boosted Move Silently, Detect Illusion, and Set Traps... but I'm not actually saying that I think this change should be made, just that it might make more sense. Either way, sorry for being so unclear, and thanks for the response!
    edited June 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

35+2 = 37.

I thought this too at first, but then I tried it out ingame. My character had 95 in Hide in Shadows and Move Silently, and got no boost from the potion for one of them and +10 to the other (I don't remember which one got boosted and which one didn't). He also got the +2 to pickpocket that the OP got. Pretty sure the potion's bugged.

Edit: nope, you may have been right after all. The reason I didn't get any bonus to move silently is that, according to the description, the potion doesn't actually increase move silently (although I have no idea why).
    First of all, I do have SCS installed, which is the only mod I have installed... I left that part out.

Secondly, I think Flashheart may be onto something, which would only mean the potion's description is a bit confusing/misleading and that's it.

This is the weird thing though. I have Imoen on level 1 with thieving abilities of 25, 35, 25, 35, 15, 0, 5 (listed in the order they appear on the character sheet). When she uses the Potion of Power, she only gets +5 to Find Traps and that's it?? I also have Montaron on level 1/1 with thieving abilities of 25, 10, 35, 45, 35, 0, 0. When he uses the Potion of Power, he only gets +2 to Pick Pockets and Hide in Shadows and that's it?? I can't figure out what's happening.

I'll check later in the game and see what happens, and I'll leave it at that for now. Maybe SCS is doing something? I'll update this with what I find, but I do play through at a very slow pace due to a million other things, so it may take awhile! Thanks for the responses.

EDIT: Also, just to be clear, I acknowledge that this is a VERY minor bug, if it even is a bug, so I'm just bringing it to light as an FYI more than anything.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited June 2013
    For both those characters, most of their skill points are coming from high dex (and from being a halfling in Montaron's case), which does note contribute to "base only" values mentioned in the description. The only skill points that Imoen has actually invested are 25 in Detect Traps and 15 in Move Silently. The 20% bonus corresponds to the +5 to Detect Traps that you are seeing, and Move Silently is unaffected (as expected). For Montaron, his skill points are 20 in Move Silently, 10 in Pick Pockets, and 10 in Hide In Shadows. Again, Move Silently is unaffected, and 20% of 10 is the +2 to Pick Pockets and Hide In Shadows you are seeing.

As you can see, the potion is actually behaving as expected.
    TJ_Hooker said:

For both those characters, most of their skill points are coming from high dex (and from being a halfling in Montaron's case), which does note contribute to "base only" values mentioned in the description. The only skill points that Imoen has actually invested are 25 in Detect Traps and 15 in Move Silently. The 20% bonus corresponds to the +5 to Detect Traps that you are seeing, and Move Silently is unaffected (as expected). For Montaron, his skill points are 20 in Move Silently, 10 in Pick Pockets, and 10 in Hide In Shadows. Again, Move Silently is unaffected, and 20% of 10 is the +2 to Pick Pockets and Hide In Shadows you are seeing.

As you can see, the potion is actually behaving as expected.

That makes perfect sense... I probably should've figured that one out on my own... thank you for your help!