Skip to content

Aaargghhh ye landlubbers it's a Swath of Swashies swabbin' the Sword Coast decks!

Ok so I was reading one of the swashbuckler discussions over in general and particularly how one of the benefits of the swashie (over other choices) was their ability to dual class to mage, cleric, or fighter. So of course the first thing that came to mind was a whole party full of swashbucklers!

I chewed on this for a while then opened up a multiplayer game and started creating characters. In the end I settled on 5 swashbucklers and a Skald. Three humans to dual class to mage, cleric & fighter respectively plus two pure swashbucklers - a Halfling lock picking leader and a gnome trap finder with a half-elf Skald to sing of their exploits.

I didn't try to challenge myself restricting ability score rolls - just rolled each one until I got something I liked (not spending more than a few minutes on each.) I didn't really plan out the opening weapon & skill scores too much other than having each swashie place all of his thief points in one function to start out.

So here's the opening cast:

Rolandi Riverman M CN Halfling 17/19/16/10/10/18 (lock picker - leader) * Scimitar * TWS

Felicia Foxmere F CG Human 16/18/16/18/10/10 (detect illusion ->mage) *Staff *Shortbow

Norwood Pegason M TN Human 18/18/16/10/18/11 (set traps ->cleric) *Sling *Club

Marmon Soldshort M CN Gnome 18/18/16/12/10/10 (find traps) *Short sword *Short bow

Lindana Lightstep F LN Human 18/18/18/10/9/12 (stealth ->fighter) *Long sword *Crossbow

Seriana Songsteel F NG Half-elf Skald 16/18/16/16/10/15 *Halbred *Longbow

The party will play neutral but probably leaning more towards good and might even end up heroic (fame has it's charm after all). I suspect the early game may end up being fairly challenging since the swashies are limited to leathers and no one can wear a helm.

I am unsure when I want to dual class - my first thought was level 5 after the next swash bonus but I may decide to dual the cleric earlier or maybe the fighter so I can have a decently armored frontliner. Depends on how squishy they turn out to be in their leathers. (Skald song may prove to be a big help there)

Going to go with minimal reloads and probably put some sort of cap on them just to keep things a little more edgy.

Comments and/or suggestions welcome - these guys are not yet set in stone - I could swap my save back to MP and do some fine tuning or rework if I hear something interesting. Going to fool with them a little more today then won't get back to them until Sunday.
lolien

Comments

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, one comment I will just leave around is that with Swashbucklers stealth partially loses it's meaning as they are unable to backstab. You can still sneak around certain places without being seen though, which is nice I guess.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Kaltzor said:

Well, one comment I will just leave around is that with Swashbucklers stealth partially loses it's meaning as they are unable to backstab. You can still sneak around certain places without being seen though, which is nice I guess.

Indeed I use stealth to scout all the time but for the most part don't bother with backstab especially in BGEE where early game thac0 means even if you get into position you are about as likely to miss as hit which then leaves your thief in the midst of hostile enemies with the rest of the party just out of range for at least a round.

That said I didn't really think about it enough when I chose to make the swash who is dualing to fighter the one to start out with more stealth as once she gets her swash skills back she is not likely to be wearing armor she can stealth in anyway.

I may think about it some more over the next couple days at work and fine tune the group a bit and restart on Sunday - the first PC death was the first area transition when the group was attacked by a circle of gibberlings and I was so busy moving the skald around to keep her song going the leader took a crit and died LOL.

lolien
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Public notice:

This ship has been stranded at port by a persistent group of lizardmen blocking all vessels attempting to leave the harbor ever since a small rift in the space time continuum has caused NWN2 Complete to appear magically upon my screen almost immediately after the machine is enabled.

Wait it's starting again...
    lolien