Skip to content

Fairy Dragon - Invisibility?

I just got the fairy dragon as a familiar and I was reading on here that it's supposed to be able to cast invisibility, but it's only spell seems to be mirror image. Was this changed, or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited June 2013
    It was changed. The familiars were originally taken straight from BG2 (since BG1 did not have them), which made them completely overpowered for BG:EE. They'll be back to their usual power levels in BG2:EE.
    onemeg
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Kind of a shame really. As it stands, Familiars really get boiled down to a very few extra hit points at the cost of an inventory space. Rather pointless really.

But then the PnP Familiars from 'Advanced' were well overpowered. Quasit familiar (CN or CE only) gave you an immediate +1 level and the hitpoints, abilities and spells associated. it also gave you regeneration and 3D6 additional hit points. They also had invisibility at will and could attack for poison (or was that the Imp??). Anyway, mega overpowered. Of course, you had to roll a 15 exactly on a D20 in order to get a 'Special' familiar and a 16 or above left you with nothing for 1 year (14 or below and you got a normal rabbit or owl or toad etc...).
    onemegMortiannaTaylorTwerk
  • onemegonemeg Member Posts: 2
    Bummer. Thanks for the info though!
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873

Kind of a shame really. As it stands, Familiars really get boiled down to a very few extra hit points at the cost of an inventory space. Rather pointless really.

My Dragon Disciple's ferret was quite helpful with picking pockets and absorbing Basilisk rays (as it's immune to petrification).

(Thematically it would've been better if my DD had acquired a faery dragon or pseudo dragon, but I wanted a Neutral character.)
    JuliusBorisov
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I believe another bummer for familiar is that: if it uses its once per day abilities and you put it in your backpack, when you rest, it doesnt regain its abilities.
    elminsterMortianna
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    I do not understand some people. Just because a spell is tweaked because it was totally overpowered it suddenly become useless?? I take the extra hit points for my wizard any time. And if you really cant squeeze him into your backpack...well don´t use Find Familiar.

I believe someone out there can make a comparison of a level 1-2 mage with and without a familiar, but the difference in power (hitpoints, damage and spells) must be staggering.
    JuliusBorisovMalicron