Skip to content

Old Baldur's Gate 1 Auto Roller Programmed in Delphi (need help!)

TheVerySpecialKTheVerySpecialK Member Posts: 16
edited June 2013 in General Modding
I'm fairly new to the Baldur's Gate games, and have so far only played the original (Baldur's Gate 1). I was trying to find an auto roller for Baldur's Gate 1 (without success) when I came upon this old webpage that contained a bunch of free, downloadable programs written in Delphi. One of them was an auto roller utility for Baldur's Gate 1! I thought I was home free at this point, but when I downloaded it I realized I had no idea how to run the program.

Now, my question is: is there any way to run old Delphi scripts/programs on a Windows 7 machine? If so, how? I have basically no knowledge of computer programing, and the webpages that I went to for help were very archaic and only increased my level of confusion. I downloaded several programs that (I think) are supposed to be able to run or compile Delphi (one of them was DeDe), but have no clue how to use them.

If anyone out there has any idea how to run Delphi programs, your help would be much appreciated. The only reason I am going through this much trouble is because I have not been able to find any other auto rollers for the original Baldur's Gate 1 (I'm pretty sure this one that I've found is the only one out there). Anyways, the Delphi auto roller program is attached to this post, and here is a link to the website I found it on:

http://www.ascotti.org/programming/programming.htm

Comments

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Short version: you abandon this and look elsewhere. I would suggest a saved-game editor.

Long, ridiculous version (disclaimer: I don't do Pascal/Delphi and I might be wrong about something): You download a Delphi IDE capable of compiling Delphi 3. Chances are money needs to change hands, as Borland have apparently discontinued all their free offerings. And that's assuming they still sell stuff that is backwards compatible with Delphi source from the late '90s. FreePascal supposedly has a Delphi compatibility mode, so you might want to try that. Once you have a compatible IDE, you compile the source and run the program.
    TheVerySpecialK
  • TheVerySpecialKTheVerySpecialK Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2013
    Well, I downloaded and installed FreePascal and was able to open the .dpr project file in the auto roller file folder with it. However, I have no idea where to go from that point. I opened Baldur's Gate in windowed mode as the program author instructed. *Check* When I opened it the Project1.dpr with FreePascal, a legal disclaimer (GNU, blah blah blah) and a few lines of code appeared. *Check* So far, so good.

However, I wasn't able to get much further than that (due to my lack of knowledge of coding). According to the readme provided by the author, I was then supposed to enter the desired stat number (98, 99, etc.) in the "edit box in the lower right corner." After that, the readme says you are supposed to hit the "start" key, or press "Alt-Shift-S" (which I am guessing starts compiling or running the program?). The program is then supposed to start rolling stats.

What does the author mean by "edit box"? Is this the window that contains the GNU license and code lines?
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Well, as I said, now you need to compile the program. This could be anything from easy to hard and from what I could see, the author does not provide any instructions for how to compile, just what to do once you have the executable. As a first test to determine whether you have successfully compiled it, you should have a Project1.exe executable in the directory. Once you do, you might be in a position to involve the game.