Skip to content

Which weapons will be best for evil Half-Orc Barbarian long term?

Hi all

I am planning on playing from start of BGEE till end of ToB with this evil Half-Orc Barbarian character.

Which weapons will be best?

Is it safe to start with:

2 pips in Two-Handed Swords
2 pips in Long Bow

and then as time goes on put points in long sword and two weapon fighting style. The barbarian can get up to three points in two handed weapon style correct?

Or should I from the start go long sword with two weapon fighting style?

Reason I took the two handed sword and long bow is due to not easy switch when two swords to bow and bow in BG1 is powerful?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Comments

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    don't go for bow
    dual wield long swords
    in bg2 flails
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2013
    Halberd or Axe
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Honestly, it depends on your intended party.

Playing evil, it is likely you will be taking Dorn, since he is so awesome. Dorn has the Two handed sword stuff covered, so you can skip that. There's also a good chance you'll be taking Kaigan in BG:EE and Korgan in BG2, so there goes the axes.

For efficiency's sake, I'd stick to one form of combat, dual wield vs two hands. It's a generally accepted fact that Dual Wielding yields the best damage output, so I'd say go with that. The best two handed weapons, TH swords, are taken by Dorn anyway. In BG:EE, the best single handed weapon is (debatably) a certain longsword(trying to avoid too many spoilers). In BG2, long swords are still a good choice, especially a certain sword that can only be picked up by evil characters, which you conveniently are.

As zur312 said, flail is a solid choice for BG2, and not too shabby of a choice in BG:EE, though maybe not as powerful as Hammers, which is another strong choice for BG2. Plus, picking up a crushing weapon will be handy when you run into beasties that are resistant to slashing.

How I'd do it:
    Lvl1: **Dual Wielding- Dual wielding is pretty much useless without at least **, so you should get those two stars in right away.
    *Long Sword
    *Flail or Hammer- I like to diversify early so I don't get caught with my pants down by a group of skellies before I hit lvl 3.

lvl3: ** Long Sword- the long sword is going to be your main weapon, so specialize that one first.

lvl6: *** dual wielding- the long sword is still your main weapon in BG:EE, so no need to specialize in Flail or Hammer yet

lvl9: ** Flail or Hammer

lvl12, 15 ** Flail or Hammer- which ever one you didn't pick up first

After that, whatever fits your tastes. Scimitars are a popular choice I hear.
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    revaar said:

Honestly, it depends on your intended party.

Playing evil, it is likely you will be taking Dorn, since he is so awesome. Dorn has the Two handed sword stuff covered, so you can skip that. There's also a good chance you'll be taking Kaigan in BG:EE and Korgan in BG2, so there goes the axes.

For efficiency's sake, I'd stick to one form of combat, dual wield vs two hands. It's a generally accepted fact that Dual Wielding yields the best damage output, so I'd say go with that. The best two handed weapons, TH swords, are taken by Dorn anyway. In BG:EE, the best single handed weapon is (debatably) a certain longsword(trying to avoid too many spoilers). In BG2, long swords are still a good choice, especially a certain sword that can only be picked up by evil characters, which you conveniently are.

As zur312 said, flail is a solid choice for BG2, and not too shabby of a choice in BG:EE, though maybe not as powerful as Hammers, which is another strong choice for BG2. Plus, picking up a crushing weapon will be handy when you run into beasties that are resistant to slashing.

How I'd do it:
    Lvl1: **Dual Wielding- Dual wielding is pretty much useless without at least **, so you should get those two stars in right away.
    *Long Sword
    *Flail or Hammer- I like to diversify early so I don't get caught with my pants down by a group of skellies before I hit lvl 3.

lvl3: ** Long Sword- the long sword is going to be your main weapon, so specialize that one first.

lvl6: *** dual wielding- the long sword is still your main weapon in BG:EE, so no need to specialize in Flail or Hammer yet

lvl9: ** Flail or Hammer

lvl12, 15 ** Flail or Hammer- which ever one you didn't pick up first

After that, whatever fits your tastes. Scimitars are a popular choice I hear.

Revaar, thanks for the detailed reply it is most appreciated.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    edited June 2013
    I love the initial weapon proficiencies, but I think maces rule BGEE (is anything resistant to blunt in BGEE?). If I were making a dual wielding evil barbarian, I'd start with ** in Mace and ** in Two Weapon Style. At level 3, you stick that extra point into Two Weapon Style, and you'll be a force to be reckoned with!
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited June 2013
    if by best, you worse then flails, bastard swords, clubs, maces, daggers, katana, scimitar, shortswords and hammers....sure.......

Longswords have the most variety in the game....but they're the weakest in terms of the other weapon groups in overall effect.

The 3rd point in TW is a waste of proficiency points (technically, getting the final point in any style is a waste). For a rogue...maybe....MAYBE...but warriors have such a ridiculous thac0 progression, you're better off diversifying your weapons rather then maxing it. (Handy for a barb as this allows you to max 2 weapons in BG1, and allows you to use any weapon type you like).
    Klorox said:

I love the initial weapon proficiencies, but I think maces rule BGEE (is anything resistant to blunt in BGEE?). If I were making a dual wielding evil barbarian, I'd start with ** in Mace and ** in Two Weapon Style. At level 3, you stick that extra point into Two Weapon Style, and you'll be a force to be reckoned with!

Klorox, thanks, but maces are generally only 1d6 while morning stars are 2d4 and long swords are 1d8. So they should have higher average when compared to maces or am I missing something completely here ;)
    @ZanathKariashi so which of those alternatives to the long sword would you recommend (don't need specifics on spoilers, just a possible flail somewhere later on in bgee will better any long sword in game etc. :))
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    Klorox, thanks, but maces are generally only 1d6 while morning stars are 2d4 and long swords are 1d8
    Flails and maces are 1d6+1 (avg 4.5) whist morning stars are 2d4 (avg 5); long swords are 1d8 (avg 4.5)
    Flails have the best single hand damage of any representative weapon in the game, not to mention a nasty on-hit effect as well (and criminally easy to get). Not so much in BG1, but god weapons in BG2.

I'd say Maces and Flails overall. Maces in BG1, Flails mainly in BG2. Blunt has an advantage vs most armor types making it much more likely for your attacks to hit in those early levels when thac0 somewhat matters...it's also the least resisted damage type in game.

Longswords tend to have a decent spread of passive effects (mostly useless due to the Barbarian's rage immunities), but are lacking in offensive abilities compared to other options.
    i would say if there is 1 weapon you can get for bg1 and bg2 and never use any other weapon

go for long swords great weapon and lot of them in the game
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Bit of advice: Don't just got for what you think is the most powerful, or what has the most options. Go for something unique and something you like the look of. If you like longswords, use those. Spears? use those. Halberds can be a pretty mean looking weapon.

I personally like using bastard swords and daggers, but that's just me. As an evil character I recommend however, NOT going two handed. With Dorn, there is now two evil two-handed sword warriors in BG2.

Dual-Wielding hammers can be fun. Crom Faeyre and Runehammer?
    The main issue with the Runehammer is that by the time you get it, there is exactly 2 undead left in the whole game. It's basically just a +4 generic warhammer.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    ambrennan said:

Klorox, thanks, but maces are generally only 1d6 while morning stars are 2d4 and long swords are 1d8
    Flails and maces are 1d6+1 (avg 4.5) whist morning stars are 2d4 (avg 5); long swords are 1d8 (avg 4.5)

Morning Stars are also combined Piercing/Bludgeoning damage, Long Swords are Slashing.

Maces are just Bludgeoning, and get better THACO against the heavy armour types. Not to mention there are several more powerful maces in BG:EE and BG2 (and can auto-kill your way through a certain tough boss fight).

I would suggest the following:
    TWF: 2 stars (the third isn't all that useful)
    Maces: 2 stars (Two very good maces are perfect for dual wielding at this stage)
    Bastard Sword/Axe: 1 star, 2nd much later (You'll want access to two situational weapons, and both have powerful options down the road. I prefer axe, but Wolfweres are a hassle without the +1/+3 vs. Shapeshifters)
    Flails: 2 stars (Best weapon in the game, blah blah blah)
    Scimitar/Ninja-to/Short Sword: 1 star (Maximizing damage output with your main hand weapon is the priority at end-game, and these weapon types will do that most effeciently)
    long swords
    bastards
    scimitars
    flails
    take 2 and you are good to go
    edited June 2013
    oh this is no spoilers
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    If you go Single/Two Weapon Style, I would recommend to take Mace, Warhammer or Flail/Morning Star as one of the proficiencies.

If Two Handed, as weird as it might sound for a warrior class, but Quarterstaff is a valid and good option.

bg1 long sword>scimitar>staff>axe>katana>bastard>short sword>mace>flail>
    first 4 are really good and easy to get if you know how

bg2 flail>bastard>axe>long sword>scimitar>katana>mace>staff>short sword
    first 3 are kind of funny in TOB
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I would go for flails as first option, just divide between flail and two weapon style in the begin, most of BG EE you gonna stay single handed probally (for the best), magical flails are rare in BG EE, i'm using a flail from an mod atm for example (with my chaotic neutral barbarian).

First prof points should be spent as 1 flail, 1 in second weapon kind (if you intent for BG2, i would suggest katana or long sword, you get an nice evil long sword at the end of SoA), and 2 pts in 2WS.