Skip to content

Devs or Moderator Feedback and workaround on Feature Request

Well, somethimes i find those wonderful ideas for feature request (for me at least), i start a post and discuss it for a while, then after a time that thread is lost in the time (and for the archives) without even being possible to know if what was raised there would be even possible to come true or not.

I believe many ppl have the same sadness as i do when one of your hard thinked ideas is throw asside without knowledge. Many times the idea isn't in the realm of possibility for the devs, be it in reason of copyright issues, applicability, being a bad idea or many other reasons. But for me at least, i would like to know if one idea of mine would be rejected or not, most for the fact it's nice to know that someone took notice of what you wrote, but much also in reason that an early answer could stop a meaningless discussion.

If that idea is good, half-applicable or not even deserving notice, i would like to know that plainly.

So i suggest the creation of a pinned thread where we would not give suggestions, but point hiperlinks inside this forum to feature requests made. The rule could be to let the discussion mature for a while, then point that discussion in this pinned thread. Most of the times the own moderators would be able to speak for the devs (when copyright forbide, when the idea is so bad that the moderator could put it plain for the person, when the feature would be so hard coded that never the devs would stop to work on it...

Those answers could be placed in the own posts of the people that request in this OP, by using the devs and forum moders prerrogatives to edit other ppl posts (for a question of control), other rules could be made to limit the number of posts accepted in this pinned thread (as the request of at least 5/10/15... sum of likes and agress in the OP of the feature request).

Also, good ideas that can't be put as vanilla could be pointed to comunity coders to become mods later (if they get any interest on those ideas).

Well, it's an generic idea but i'm raising this because, with all due respect, i'm not satisfied with the way feature requests are being received in this forum, not only mines but many other nice features made by other members as well. In fact i can't even point a feature request from this forum that get space as vanilla implement (maybe it even exist, but i have no notice).

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited June 2013
    We do read the feature requests, but until something is actually implemented we often can't say whether or not it will be: If we say it will, but later find out it's not feasible, then suddenly we're on the hook for not fulfilling a promise; if we say it won't, it stops a discussion in its tracks when there might have been something worth exploring even tangentially.

With regard to mods, what I would say is if someone sees a feature request worth doing that can be done by making a mod, that someone should pursue that avenue. Either the mod will reveal something to the developers about how the request could be implemented simply, or the developers might ask the mod's author for permission to include it in the game itself. If worse comes to worse, the request becomes immediately available for anyone who wants to use it, which is what the modding community is all about.

That said, if someone wants to maintain a master list of feature requests they're welcome to do that, but I suspect the list would be cumbersome to maintain (most live indexes are).
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @Dee speaking of feature requests, is this item from the FAQ: "An updated user interface that allows for high-resolution scaling and transparency"

another way of saying unscaled game window (big screen mode), scaled journal / inventory / menus, etc?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013
    Dee said:

That said, if someone wants to maintain a master list of feature requests they're welcome to do that, but I suspect the list would be cumbersome to maintain (most live indexes are).

I've already done about 2 pages of this. I'm just doing post-release, which works out to being roughly back to page 18 or so (I'm doing November 2012 and onwards). If anyone wants to help me out with this message me as it will make the work go by quicker.