Skip to content

can i hack the game to play NPC only? (no charname)

I would like to do that for more npc party

Comments

• ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    Playing as Imoen would be interesting.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I would say "unlikely"

As the entire plot would unravel and collapse.

Best case scenario; name yourself after an NPC, copy his/her class, stats, voice and portrait and go "lalalala I can't hear you!" whenever they discuss plot.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You could mod any one of the NPCs' .cre files to allow it to be exported using Near Infinity, and then import the NPC as your charname.

I'd recommend using an NPC that doesn't have a whole lot of content associated with them, though, such as Kivan.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    You could always play as Abdel Adrian... I think he sort of counts as an NPC.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    Mordeus said:

I do this all the time, this is what you need to do.

1. Activate Cheats.
    2. Charname will be in character slot 1, so you'll need to recruit someone to take the position of slot 2.
    3. Hold down CTRL+K over Charname, this will force him out of the party. You can leave him standing there to be joined later on or in another slot other than slot 1. Or you can just kill him or leave him in a one time only dungeon.
    4. Then playing as the NPC in slot 2 go and recruit the NPC you want to play as. When they are recruited into the party they will be added in at the highest slot available. Since you kicked out Charname, slot 1 will be empty. So your desired NPC will now be in slot 1 and the game will treat them as the new Charname.

If this is slightly confusing you could start a multiplayer game to keep track of which NPCs are in which slot, then transfer that save file to a single player game.

This works wonders in BG2 where Minsc is an ideal candidate because his epilogue doesn't reference Charname and thus himself in third person. It's a bit awkward when playing as Viconia, and reading that her lover is Viconia. But my personal preference is Haer'dalis because then you can truly have him fall in love with Aerie.

It's not wise to play NPCs who are prone to ditching you at reputation changes or during certain plot points like a certain kidnapping. Since those circumstances will force the NPC you are playing as out of the party and thus vacating slot 1. But if you keep reputation in check or use a mod that removes its' restrictions then everything will work perfectly fine.

BG2 Imoen Spoiler

So don't play as Imoen until after Spellhold

You can also use the CLUAConsole to summon NPCs to you. So if you summon Haer'dalis to you at the start of the game, you can avoid having to search him out. Just let Imoen join you, remove Charname from party and then summon your chosen NPC to take its' place.

For BG1, I like to play as Coran and have 5 female sidekicks (usually Safana, Shar-Teel, Skie, Branwen and Dynaheir) all of whom suffer his advances. Or sometimes playing as Tiax who absolutely hates nature while pairing him up with nature lovers like Jaheira, Khalid, Faldorn, Kivan and Alora. Or as Garrick who has a merry band of misfits (Skie, Eldoth, Shar-Teel, Xan and Alora). There's alot of interesting combinations to be made.

It might be a bit awkward playing as Dorn, Neera or Rasaad though, since they would try to explain their motives to pretty much themselves. Haven't tried this with them, so I don't know how it would work RP wise. Baeloth though would be a fairly decent choice, since I don't think he has much to say.
    thanks man! i was just thinking of haerdalis because i never played with him so i could actually play "him" and add other npcs that i missed before like nalia and cernd
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Dee said:

You could mod any one of the NPCs' .cre files to allow it to be exported using Near Infinity, and then import the NPC as your charname.

I'd recommend using an NPC that doesn't have a whole lot of content associated with them, though, such as Kivan.

This can create problems (unpredictable dialogs), since this PC will have the old NPC .dlg setting.