Skip to content

BG2 strongholds and dual/multi-class PCs

How are strongholds determined for dual-class and multi-class PCs in BG2?

If a character is dual-class, is the PC's stronghold determined by the first class or second class? If the first class, what happens if that class is 'non-functional' (because the new class has not achieved the requisite level) when the PC completes the relevant quest?

If a character is multi-class, is the PC's stronghold determined the which class is the highest level, which quest is completed first (so if a F/M completes the planar sphere quest first, that becomes the PC's stronghold), or some other system?

Does anyone know if BG2EE (yes, I remain optimistic that it *will* appear) will tweak/modify the BG2 system for assigning strongholds?

Many thanks!

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited June 2013
    Essentially dual- and multiclass characters will get offered strongholds from both/all their available classes, but are still only able to keep one of them. So once you accept a stronghold you won't be offered any more. As F/M for instance, if you do the planar sphere first and accept that as your stronghold, you won't be offered the keep when you play through that, and the other way around.

Iirc there are/were some glitches regarding this, like the fighter stronghold giving you an option to "think about it" meaning you could leave it open, get a stronghold from your dual class and then come back and accept the fighter one as well.. not sure if it's been fixed.

Not sure how it works if the dual class process hasn't been completed yet. Also of course, there are available mods to let you have as many or as few strongholds as you want, regardless of class.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
    Thanks, that was very helpful.

The only time I ever played a dual-class character was in my very first run through BG and BG2. I had had a hard time keeping my mages alive at the very beginning of the game, so I eventually decided to start as a fighter, and dualed him to a mage at the meagre level of 3. Since I saved the de Arnise keep first in BG2, and was awarded it as my stronghold, I subsequently was under the impression that strongholds went to the 'first' class (which frustrated me, as I was around level 11 as a mage by then and would have much preferred the planar sphere!). However, this was just a guess on my part, and so I've always wondered about it...
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    mod tweaks or fixpack - multi stronghold component
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Shin said:

Iirc there are/were some glitches regarding this, like the fighter stronghold giving you an option to "think about it" meaning you could leave it open, get a stronghold from your dual class and then come back and accept the fighter one as well.. not sure if it's been fixed.

Yeah, there were some bugs in a couple of ways--you could get the Keep and the Sphere even if you already had a stronghold due to some missing checks; ranger-clerics weren't offered the Lathander temple; and I don't think you had the option to decline one of them (druid grove?). Of course there's always...
    zur312 said:

mod tweaks or fixpack - multi stronghold component

... this if you want multiple strongholds.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    The fighter stronghold is an exception to the rule that you can only have one stronghold. If you have already accepted another stronghold, Nalia will still offer you the keep.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

The fighter stronghold is an exception to the rule that you can only have one stronghold. If you have already accepted another stronghold, Nalia will still offer you the keep.

Err, no, it's not an exception. Her check was omitted in a few dialogue branches, and this bug has been fixed.