Skip to content

The 6th level Death Spell doesnt give experience?

Is that intended?

In BG2 of course

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Fubby said:

Is that intended?

In BG2 of course

What were the circumstances involved in its use? It should be giving experience.

• mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    If it's against summons I'm fairly sure it won't give experience
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Killing summoned mobs shouldn't give experience, no matter how you kill them.

Killing regular mobs with Death Spell does give experience for me, but I run with many mods so I can't say for sure if it's not a fixed bug from the vanilla game. It's definitely supposed to give experience, just like a normal kill.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I don't know if it's a bug that has been in the original that lasted through all patches, but/if my efreeti or djin go hostile and i kill them i get experience. Those two are the only ones, you used to be able to get experience from gating demons as cleric back in the days but that was patched.
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    When I make Edwin use the spell, on say, Umber hulks. It will kill them, but it will not grant XP. Maybe it just doesnt say it is giving XP in the chat box, but I am afairly certain it isnt at all. Its a real shame, I just love that spell
    Do you have the fixpack installed? If not you should. With it installed I get this.

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    First, most summons don't yield any XP, so you probably weren't getting XP regardless.

Second, Death Spell technically removes summons rather than killing them (talking about engine mechanics, not rules) which--if memory serves--yields no XP since they were not killed. However, Death Spell does try to kill sub-8 HD summons first before removing them so, say, a pack of summoned tasloi should die in the normal fashion.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I'm pretty sure 8 HD monsters or less killed by Death Spell gives exp in vanilla. Like others have previously said, hostile summon mobs do not give exp.
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    Thats weird. I get XP for killing summons. 150 for basic skeltons, 3k for invisble stalkers are the only things that come to mind.

But with deathspell everything just dies and I dont get XP
    Fubby said:

Thats weird. I get XP for killing summons. 150 for basic skeltons, 3k for invisble stalkers are the only things that come to mind.

But with deathspell everything just dies and I dont get XP

I think it might also depend in BG2 on if you kill the summoner before you kill his/her summons. It can be kind of glitchy in that regard.