Skip to content

Which class suits best?

2»

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Vishnu said:

Druids in D&D learn while being in a druidic community/magic grove if I remember correctly. It's not something you teach or learn reading books.

CHARNAME found a book on druidic magic and teachings, Candlekeep has a garden. Bam. Druid.
    Dragonspear
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013
    Kaltzor said:

I think the only kit that's actually really hard to justify would be Shapeshifter druid kit... I mean, how many werewolves visit Candlekeep get on a regular basis?

Technically you can also inherit the affliction (though the kit description doesn't say this) and still have control of your transformations. But as per the kit description it is difficult to explain. You willingly let a wandering merchant, who happens to be a werewolf, bite you? Then you learned how to control your transformations through an incredibly selective book on druidic training concerning werewolves?
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    Maybe you were bitten as a child, before Gorion rescued you from being sacrificed. Maybe you were being sacrificed to a Werewolf at the time!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Maybe you were bitten as a child, before Gorion rescued you from being sacrificed. Maybe you were being sacrificed to a Werewolf at the time!

The problem with being bitten as a child is that you won't have any control over your form. At least not without training. Also I believe the kit description says you willingly were bitten.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    A pity you can't duel class to a kit; it would make perfect sense to become a Shapchanger druid after the Isle of Balduran.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    A Cleric, imo.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I would say some of the more realistic ones would be :

1.) Fighter

It's easy enough to get into and there are quite a bit of fighters around candlekeep, you most probably got taught by some of the guards. Abdel (The original character) was a fighter.

2.) Assassin

You're a son of bhaal. You've hidden your feelings and how you react to the taint from everyone. You're more curiouse about death but haven't yet went beyond that line. You've learnt how to make poison from a traveler that came to candlekeep some years ago, oddly enough a monk dissapeard at the same time. The moment you get attacked in candlekeep you just know what to do, where to put your knife and how to take his life. You're high on adrenaline when you walk out of he house with blood over your clothes, you can't help but to love this new feeling.

3.) Mage

Easy enough you're gorians ward, if you were showing interest in magic i'm sure he would take you under his wing and teach you.

4.) Bard

So many people, tales and songs in candlekeep. You meet new people all of the time.

5.) Shapeshifter

You already had the curse from young child. Gorian knew about this and taught you how to remain in control and never let go. When you get attacked in candlekeep you can't help it, and transform for the first time and kill the man.

There are many more also, these are just some.
    ReadingRambo
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Based on in-game conversations..a plain fighter...dualed to mage later.

Clerics/druids/paladins don't really work, unless they've somehow been drawing out their latent potential and mistaking it for a god granting them spells (And Bhaal isn't a nature deity so his power couldn't grant druidic spells ever...you could technically be a ranger (leaving aside the other requirements for ranger training)...but you'd never be able to cast spells)....AO specifically forbid the other gods from directly involving themselves with any of the Bhaalspawn, so that mess could play itself out on it's own. And granting spells to aid them is direct interference. Another cleric/druid using spells to help or harm them is indirect.

Using Arcane magic is indirect, because Mystra is unable to isolate single creatures from wielding the weave, without turning off all magic completely and basically destroying herself. (She can only turn the entire weave on or off, she can't deny usage to single targets without destroying the weave. She tried to do it to Cyric during The Crucible, but AO took control over it and stripped her authority over it temporary for the remainder of that trial session, before giving her a warning that she would be immediately stripped of her divinity and someone else raised as steward of the weave if she ever attempted to do it again).
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I would hardly consider granting spells direct interference. Granting spells is a natural part of the cosmology.