Skip to content

I dont know what to do.....

With all this legal stuff in the air and the patch being frozen until its all worked out...I haven't been playing bg at all(I was waiting for the shadow dancer to be fixed) but my question is should I just give up and play bg classic (modded of course) or don't play a shadow dancer and play bgee....what happens if bgee is beaten how will I be able to continue my party members into bg2?

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Play classic BG instead. You can always return to BGEE later. It isn't a good idea to sit wait for something that might never happen.
    MalicronSCARY_WIZARDrdarkenkulyok
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    Oh yeah, I also would recommend playing only classes/kits that were included in the original BG2, in case you eventually want to continue, and we don't see BG2EE.
    Malicron
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    What calamity hath occur'd here during my absence?
    FredjoIllustair
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650

Just play the current version of BGEE. Avoid the stuff that the patch was supposed to fix (e.g., shadow dancer, dwarf PC, etc.), and you'll be fine.

Current BGEE is perfectly playable. I've played through 3 times, and enjoyed each time. Not being able to complete Tethtoril's quest did rob me of 50 exp., but once I got over that emotionally traumatic event, I had a great game.

Here is a link to the fix for the Tethtoril and for a few other bugs. Hate to see you lose that 50 XP!
    Thrasymachus
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Calmar said:

What calamity hath occur'd here during my absence?

This :(
    Calmar
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited June 2013
    I can sympathize with your outlook. I also feel like it's pointless to play BGEE now without being sure I can continue the same playthrough in BG2. It may be a bigger deal to me than most people as I essentially view the trilogy as one lengthy experience and never play any of the games without following through (or at least meaning to follow through) with the rest.

My advice depends on how you feel: if you really feel like playing right now and want the full series, go for a good old modded playthrough of the classic games. If you feel more patient, wait for more clarification on whether or not BG2EE will ever see the light of day. If you're happy with just playing the first game as a stand-alone and don't feel like you need continuity, BG:EE should still be fine.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    @Shin
    You know, as long as you didn't choose a non-BG2 kit, you can still import your save from BG:EE into SoA.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @Malicron I never got around to trying that yet, does it work without resulting in a number of hiccups?

Even so though, the appeal of BGEE appears greatly reduced. I wouldn't be able to play the new kits, and would feel very much less inclined to party with the new NPCs knowing their storylines will never continue - and if I am to avoid everything that makes the EE stand out from classic BG content-wise, I might as well go for the latter given the variety of mods available.
    My understanding is that BGEE characters will port over to BG2, so long as they do not deviate from what is possible in BG2 (e.g., no dragon disciples). I have not tried it myself, as I use a mac, and cannot run BG2 on the current OSX.
    Also, even if there is a problem with porting a BGEE character over to BG2, you could always simply *create* an *identical* character within BG2. (Generate the same stats, race, class, etc., then play a 'dry run' to get the experience points total to match roughly what it was for that character at the end of BGEE, export the BG2 character at that point, and then import that character into a *new* game of BG2. Or just use Shadow Keeper if that is a viable option.)

If the character so created in BG2 is qualitatively identical (same name, appearance, race, class, stats, alignment, etc.) to the character played in BGEE, then for all intents and purposes it *is* the same character. And since you have to start over with almost no equipment in Chateau Irenicus anyhow, the loss of items (aside from the precious Golden Pantaloons of course!) makes no difference.

Of course you'll lose any exceptional (19+) stats gained from the BG1 tomes, but you can plan for that when playing BGEE (namely, don't generate stats that get boosted above 'legal' limits by the tomes, or use the tomes on the NPCs).
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179

My understanding is that BGEE characters will port over to BG2, so long as they do not deviate from what is possible in BG2 (e.g., no dragon disciples). I have not tried it myself, as I use a mac, and cannot run BG2 on the current OSX.

You can with wine...
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    Two points to consider:
    1) you suffer from the perfect solution fallacy - unless it's absolutely 100% it is not worth doing at all. Yes, SD might be somewhat broken at present but guess what - in the original BG you can't play SD at all.
    2) Shadowkeeper exists so you can play through BG1 with a new kit and change it back to the closest BG2 class for an import (e.g. Make a blackguard into a fallen paladin with the assassin's poison ability and immunity to level drain/fear via affect codes)
    Alternatively, you can just make a new character and adjust the stats and inventory (pantaloons!) to match the BG1 export.
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    ambrennan said:

...you suffer from the perfect solution fallacy - unless it's absolutely 100% it is not worth doing at all....

lol, it is indeed a terrible affliction but unfortunately not curable (believe me I tried).
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ambrennan said:

you suffer from the perfect solution fallacy - unless it's absolutely 100% it is not worth doing at all.

@ambrennan - damnit mate, how right you are. But this whole forum is full of powergamers who will turn any thread into a discussion, whether a min-maxed kit#1 is stronger than min-maxed kit#2, bringing powerful math to sound credible and find the super strongest-bestest-OMG class/kit combo.
    (BG powergaming is Serious Business)
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    This is perfectly normal behavior for Atari-DESTROYER OF GAMES. Here is a company that has not made a good game since creation. They are good at assisting and that's about it. I really cant name 1 game they made that was good. They just had to ruin one of the only games I still play for nostalgia. Yup, that's the Atari I know.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited June 2013
    Southpaw said:

@ambrennan - damnit mate, how right you are. But this whole forum is full of powergamers who will turn any thread into a discussion, whether a min-maxed kit#1 is stronger than min-maxed kit#2, bringing powerful math to sound credible and find the super strongest-bestest-OMG class/kit combo.

I always find amazing how powergamers do not complain about role-players, and how you guys never miss a chance to do it :)
    Tinter
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I've never complained about power gamers.
    Tinter
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Southpaw said:

ambrennan said:

you suffer from the perfect solution fallacy - unless it's absolutely 100% it is not worth doing at all.

Power gaming is about theory and math, it's one of the reasons some people enjoy it. It's a discussion about how much you need and when you reach the limit what you should do after that. I'm just as happy to be wrong as i'm to be right, because i learn something new each day.
    SpaceInvaderTinter
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

I always find amazing how powergamers do not complain about role-players, and how you guys never miss a chance to do it :)

Try playing a multiplayer game as a class that isn't the flavor-of-the-month and try to get a guild that does endgame content.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @Schneidend I played (and actually playing) many MMORPG. The fact that most of the players tend to farm like desperados doesn't mean that roleplayers can't create their own clan/guild to play like they want.
    If the game allows this approach then I respect it. Powergamers, roleplayers, speedrunners, ... , I don't really care :)