Skip to content

Man of Steel (possible spoilers)

WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
edited June 2013 in Off-Topic
I watched Man of Steel yesterday with my Dad and brother and the movie blew me away. I thought it was better than the Dark Knight Trilogy and The Avengers. However I'm biased in that Superman is my favorite superhero, however I will agree that there hasn't been a decent Superman movie in my lifetime (born in 1989). All the characters in that movie were wonderful, the story was unbelievable, the music, the action, it was all super (pun intended). I saw the movie in basic 2D, however, since 3D movies give me a headache. I'll go so far as to say it's the best movie I've ever seen and I'd highly recommend you go see it in theaters.

If I had to nitpick at the movie and find any flaws, the beginning took a little too long to get the movie 'going', but I understand that they're telling the story from the beginning with his birth on Krypton and 'acclimatizing' to his powers on Earth. Also the ending was very abrupt in my opinion. It seemed like they could've taken away 10-15mins from the beginning and added it to the ending, but this is me nitpicking.

Favorite scene:

The scene where General Zod is getting ready to attack Martha Kent and Superman interrupts Zod by spearing him away from his Mom. While the 'flight and fight' is happening, Superman is punching away at Zod in the head and yelling "Don't *wham* touch *wham* my *wham* mother *wham*!!!".

For those of you that have seen the movie, what did you think of it? And for those of you that haven't, WHY NOT!?!?!?!?!?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I haven't seen it because I'm lazy and because I have a limited interest in reboots. Well, except for a few video game reboots hehe :)...and the Dark Knight trilogy.

Its the same reason I haven't seen the Amazing Spiderman, as I saw Spiderman 1,2, and 3 and was fine with them. The 4 Batman movies of the late 80's/90's were all bad enough that they at least warranted a reboot. Likewise, if the Fantastic Four were to do a reboot I'd probably see it.

Considering how few villains of Superman they've actually brought to the screen, you'd think they'd have someone a little more original than
    Zod
    . Also I just watched Richard Donner's cut and I feel like I've gotten my fill of Superman.

In closing, I really have no strong argument to oppose seeing this movie. But I probably won't anyways.
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    I enjoyed MoS, I am however against all these reboots. Because of the success of the Avengers movie, DC finds it needs to make a Justice League movie. So, now we have Man of Steel BUT, now they need to reboot Batman AGAIN because Bale is all done being Batman. Gimme a friggin break reboots.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013
    Yea I kind of agree about reboots. Heck they are already on their 3rd actor playing hulk in about a decade (having attempted to reboot Hulk once already). Then there is spiderman, superman (smallville on top of the two recent movies), etc.
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    Wiggles said:

If I had to nitpick at the movie and find any flaws, the beginning took a little too long

I honestly thought the beginning was the best part. Russel Crowe was excellent and the depiction of Krypton was superb. All of the exposition was to my liking, in fact. I enjoyed the inner turmoil of Clark and the great support Costner provided.

Unfortunately, Clark is Superman, so nothing short of foes of epic power are worthy of him. At this point, the director decided that only deity-like foes would be interesting enough, and all the buildings in every scene would have to be destroyed--because they're just that epic.

Overall it was enjoyable, despite the digression of the plot as the story progressed. It also became a bit anti-climactic at the end too; I had simply seen too many things be broken, burned, or otherwise destroyed.

I also think Batman is much, much better. The plot is more involved, Bruce Wayne is a better-rounded character, and the villains are simply the best of all the superhero movies I've seen.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Saw it recently. I loved the film. Had a couple of things I questioned, but those are just nitpicks really. Henry is a great Superman and the story was fun and exciting. There were some really neat twists, especially with the secret identity issue. I'm excited for the sequel.
  • Just another movie for me. I wouldn't recommend it.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I saw it yesterday with my best friend. Truth to be told, I've always considered Superman as "gary stu of the heroes", that he can't be related to, the fact that his powers are making him almost invournable, that he lacks really decent enemies...

But this movie just blow my mind. First Superman movie I could actually relate to the main superhero in some way, could see his character development, see him fight with powerful enemies and it is first time I've ever thought of Man of Steel to be really cool. Not to mention amazing music, action and CGI. This is one of the best movies I've seen lately.

And also
    Lois Lane wasn't total dumbass in distress, and I approve of that.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited July 2013
    I loved it. The friend I saw it with loved it. I thought that all the characters were much more well-developed and relatable than in the past films.

I had lunch with a friend last week who didn't like it. He gave me the impression that he only likes campy interpretations of comic book superheroes. He complained that the film was humorless, and never made him laugh. He said the ending went on way too long, and he just kept thinking about all those people dying in those buildings that were going down. (The death toll from the ending would have surely reached the millions - but that intensified the drama and the tragedy of it for me.) This other friend asked "why does the world need a darker version of Superman?

I told him that I like to have my superhero stories told seriously, and not with tongue-in-cheek comedic overtones. This was the first time I'd seen a superhero movie done that shows "what would really happen if..."

Based on what I've heard from my friends and from critics, the new Man of Steel movie is dividing fans into "loved it" and "hated it" camps.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    I guess I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Superman. IMO, there are a handful of things that absolutely shouldn't be done with/to that character. This film did at least one of them (I get the impression the characterization of Jonathan Kent hits another). I don't really want to see the character put in that situation with that result, and I certainly don't want to pay to see it. Nearly any other character, OK. Call him UltraGodMan and it's fine. But not Superman.

I'll watch it eventually, most likely, when it shows up on Netflix or otherwise crosses my path in a form I don't have to pay for/put any effort into getting to.
    Oh, come on. At least he has finally learned to wear his underwear under his clothes.

Oh, come on. At least he has finally learned to wear his underwear under his clothes.

Please, don't even get me started on the costume choices...
    Well, it's not like people never made fun of classic comics Superman design...
    Sure. But it is a classic. And you mess with classics at your own risk, said the guy who wrote a bunch of supplementary material for Baldur's Gate 2. :)
    Classic or not, before the movie I never really liked Superman. You know, there are hardcore fans, and there are people who don't have particular like for Clark Kent, yet are enjoying the movie. Nothing can be done about it.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I will say that this movie made Superman a multidimensional character, and I appreciated that. There were a couple of moments that struck me a distinctly out-of-character for Superman, but what this film did that I found lacking in previous Superman iterations was show us how Clark is human, which allows us (as humans ourselves) to identify with him.

I think when you watch it, though, you have to remember that this is Christopher Nolan's DC, and as such it has very different parameters. Don't go into the theater expecting to see someone fighting for "Truth, Justice, and the American Way", because this isn't that Superman. And it shouldn't be; it's a reboot, not a remake.

Also, I'm pretty sure that in Nolan's universe, Jimmy Olson is a girl. And I'm a little bit tickled by that.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Hmm, half human, half god. Now, how many archetypes from mythology and real-world human religion do we have for that?

And, interestingly, this movie seems to be sparking "theological" debate about whether "Supermanianity" ought to emphasize Superman's divinity or Superman's humanity.

{{raises left eyebrow, lopsidedly grins with left corner of mouth, tongue in right cheek.}}