Skip to content

Launch and crash fix

When I hit "Play", I'd get a white box and the game would crash. I couldn't launch it at all.

I tried every single solitary fix on these forums I could find, nothing worked, but I tried this (forgive me if it actually has been posted before)

In C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition, there was a file called baldur.ini. It read:

CREATE TABLE options (
section string,
name string,
value string
);
INSERT INTO options ROWS (
'Window', 'Full Screen', '1'
);

I changed it to:

CREATE TABLE options (
section string,
name string,
value string
);
INSERT INTO options ROWS (
'Window', 'Full Screen', '0'
);

And suddenly it worked. This is on a MacBook Pro 13" Retina, using Windows 8 on Bootcamp, the GPU is an Ivy Bridge Intel 4000 chip.

I can get into the game, move around, and do what I like. There are no more issues for me.

Thanks

Comments

• feldepostfeldepost Member Posts: 4
    doesn't work for me
  • CoflashCoflash Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2012
    It seems I left out one important step. On BGEE.exe, set compatibility to run as admin, and Vista SP1.

It is important that you do this only to BGEE.exe, not Baldur.exe, don't touch that file. Once done, launch from BGEE.exe directly, not a shortcut.

Also, once you're in game, change it to full screen and it'll work fine (if it indeed works at all for you). The next time you launch it, it'll even stay in full screen. Fucking weird right? But it worked.
    edited November 2012
    Oh, wait, it actually really worked when I've switched to Vista SP1 compatibility and given admin rights.

But to be honest it sucks a little to play in window mode, but I guess it's the best we can do right now :/
    Read on, full screen works
    not for me unfortunatelly
    edited November 2012
    Are you doing it in options? Ticking the box?

I'm guessing the ini file is being built incorrectly or something upon launch, hence the manual change making a difference

Here is my ini file for what it's worth, maybe try an overwrite as I haven't changed any settings but the full screen option

http://www.coflash.com/stuff/Baldur.ini
  • ThimGrimThimGrim Member Posts: 75
    What worked for me (I had "application stopped working" after clicking Play in introduction to Candlekeep; and also intro didn't show up only some strange zoomed bricks from menu in with you can choose game type, then I had to click for main menu to appear).

I have notebook with Moblity Radeon HD 3650 and what I had to do is to install new driver from here:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/catalystlegacywin8.aspx

Until today I was using driver downloaded by my Windows 8 64 bit. And it was OK for all games. Anyway I think that rather than new driver what has worked for me was Catalyst Control Center and other stuff with I wasn't using earlier. So install all you can what comes with you driver (all this apps that gives you oportunity to change antialiasing and other stuff). I thing that people with nVidia have similar application so you may try to do same thing.
  • TheWizard6TheWizard6 Member Posts: 1
    ThimGrim said:

What worked for me (I had "application stopped working" after clicking Play in introduction to Candlekeep; and also intro didn't show up only some strange zoomed bricks from menu in with you can choose game type, then I had to click for main menu to appear).

I have notebook with Moblity Radeon HD 3650 and what I had to do is to install new driver from here:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/catalystlegacywin8.aspx

Until today I was using driver downloaded by my Windows 8 64 bit. And it was OK for all games. Anyway I think that rather than new driver what has worked for me was Catalyst Control Center and other stuff with I wasn't using earlier. So install all you can what comes with you driver (all this apps that gives you oportunity to change antialiasing and other stuff). I thing that people with nVidia have similar application so you may try to do same thing.

You are awesome! I was having the same problem ATI Radeon HD 3000 series. Downloaded the catalyst and away we go :)
  • diablo184diablo184 Member Posts: 1
    so im having this issue and the file location you mentioned is empty for me i have uninstalled and reinstalled the game and there is just nothing any idea what the problem might be?