Skip to content

Getting NWNights to work on Mac

DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
http://www.amazon.com/Neverwinter-Nights-Mac/dp/B0000A33ZM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372683860&sr=8-2&keywords=neverwinter+nights+mac

That above link is the link to the mac game I want to purchase. My question is will a mac osx 10.6 be able to play this? My computer is an almost new mac and while small, can run most of the games from then to newer era. Im only asking as I don't want to have to buy this without it working. If anyone knows any better copies like expansions, I'd like to know. Thanks.

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I can't answer directly but just to let you know, since installing Mountain Lion on my mac, NWN stopped working (Along with Starcraft Broodwar, Diablo2). If you can get it to run, you can also use the far cheaper PC expansions, using a little jiggery pokery, rather than treasure hunting down old mac compatible versions.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited July 2013
    It went quite well on 10.6 for me.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Just be aware that you *cannot* run it on 10.7, since Apple removed the Rosetta PowerPC compatibility software.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    edited July 2013
    @Cerevant So is there any solution to play it on OS X >= 10.7?

I own the NWN Diamond (or was it Platinum?) pack and, shame on me, I've never managed to play it when I was still using non-Apple systems... I can resort to creating a VirtualBox XP/Linux machine, if need be, but I'd love a more lightweight solution.

Or, of course, I could wait for NWN:EE :)
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    You could also use boot camp to dual-boot to Windows for gaming.

Beyond that - I haven't really researched it, but most solutions I've seen involve either dual-booting or virtualization.
    I wouldn't want to waste a partition on Windows ;) and, although I've been seen dual-booting Linux and OS X on an older MacBook of mine, I really shouldn't do it on this (production) machine... virtualization it'll be then.

Thanks @Cerevant !
    alnair said:

I wouldn't want to waste a partition on Windows ;)
    I've been seen dual-booting Linux and OS X on an older MacBook of mine

(What a couple of Baeloth-like sentences!)