Skip to content

Reputation System.

RushAndAPushRushAndAPush Member Posts: 25
Has there been any update on if BG: EE will change how the reputation system will work?

Comments

• ArndasArndas Member Posts: 42
    Not sure yet, but what sort of changes?
  • RushAndAPushRushAndAPush Member Posts: 25
    A change that might make playing with party members of different alignments more forgiving.
  • KivonKivon Member Posts: 4
    Not really sure what you mean by "more forgiving". As it is/was in the original, the party member would only break if you got to 1-2 or 19-20 depending on alignment, which I think makes sense. Do you want the party members to ignore the reputation completely?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    What he means is the game's reputation system is tilted completely toward rewarding Good aligned behavior, whereas an Evil character gets punished (reputation-wise) for playing evil.

There are mods (or at least there used to be one mod) that open the game up in this respect for Evil PCs.

For Neutral aligned characters such as CN or TN, I'm not sure how the reputation system could be modified...

I guess one way to look at it, is the reputation system is based on the Western Heartlands' basically prosocial social outlook. So do not expect society at large to reward blatantly evil acts there. You'd have to go to an evil society to be socially rewarded for evil behavior, eg, the Underdark.
  • luluscadoluluscado Member Posts: 69
    I don't think the reputation system needs to be changed i think it works well. It makes sense for evil aligned cheaters to be punished. I like how it affects different party members
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    I personally think that it is way too easy to achieve hero status. Completing a few sidequests takes to 18-19, and you can simply pay a temple to get an additional point.

In my opinion, reputation should be toned down.
  • taikobotaikobo Member Posts: 7
    I wouldn't mind some changes, though as long as I have new content I'm happy. I don't see a change on that matter as really important.
    I don't care being punished when I play evil, my main problem, most of the time, is that I still want XP, and I earn rep points far too often, even if I saved someone/something only for money ( or balance, or because I didn't have a choice to get something...)
    And if I'm not mistaken, only Ust Natha helped when I needed to lower my rep. That, and the good ol' murder in a house...
    Adding a way to lower it by giving money to an evil god would be nice, but it's really not that important to me ( and while it's fun to summon a fiend in town from time to time, I seldom play psychopaths -- and I'm scared of flaming fist guys in BG1!)
    But they didn't mention anything about rep yet, as far as I know.
  • oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    Well being evil and having a high rep is not that uncommon... You saved someone only for money but do people know that ? You saved someone without reward and everybody thinks you're kind but you know why you did it ;-)
  • taikobotaikobo Member Posts: 7
    But but... the evil league of evil is watching, and I worked so hard on my memorable laugh! And now Bad Horse won't be gleeful, and...

Hum anyway, you're right, of course (and it's fun that way, too).

But the same way, a good aligned char could want to remain unknow (low or average rep) for different reasons.

In a mod (NPC project I think), bards spread tales about you, should you want people to fear you, and I thought that was great -not to tell useful in game with a neutral or evil party!
    You know why you did it, but try to convince Xzar or Edwin you really only wanted moar gold.

So since you have far less options/quests in the game for an neutral or evil playthrough, I'd find it useful if you could lower your rep without pointlessly killing someone ( but that's mainly because you can't hide your face and give a false name if you only want money or XP).
  • RushAndAPushRushAndAPush Member Posts: 25
    When I created this thread I was thinking of the possible inclusion of the Virtue Reputation Mod.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    @RushAndAPush, This are old tweets but I think that they are still relevant to this thread:
    Tweeter said:

13 May Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster
    We've had a few discussions on the reputation system. We'll likely look at reputation post-ship

And a newer one:
    Tweeter said:

13 Jul Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

We're going to tread lightly with changes to the reputation system, but we have plans to tone back the guard "freak out" on evil parties.

:)

• trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    i hope that by threading lightly they mean revise the damn thing to make more sense.

as of now, if you save someone and respond like an asshole, you still get reputation and evil chars leave, instead of having separate "moral" ladder of the party, showing your intention behind the action.
  • LamorackLamorack Member Posts: 24
    I would like the rep cap removed, since if you play good you get to the cap pretty quickly, and all later additions to reputation don't count. I'm not saying that 20+ should give you any more benefits, but even if just the number / title went up, it would feel much more satisfying. Also I'm not sure alignment should affect reputation -- IFIRC starting as lawful good gives you a high reputation from the start (or did I remember wrongly?) I would have though everyone should be neutral to begin with, at 10 or whatever.