Skip to content

Why did my ranger lose stealth?

Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
Hi all, I got a strange problem.
I'm currently playing a ranger - stalker, to be exact - and at the level 6, without the Worn Whispers, she had stealth at 79%. Then suddenly I noticed that I had more trouble than I should staying hidden in shadows, so I checked my stat screen. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that sometime over 4 in-game days her stealth dropped to 37%.
I racked my brain for possible reason, and I finally decided it must have been caused by the poison Marek and Lathander slipped me, since I was in the middle of this quest. I remembered from years ago that if you went too long without solving this quest, the game would eventually give you a message that you're feeling ill/dizzy, and that you should hurry up with the antidote, so it seemed like a valid assumption.
However I now finished this quest, I gulped down the antidote, got the 'you're cured' message, even slept 8 hours to be sure, but my stealth is stubbornly stack at 37%. Why?
I didn't change any equipment, I'm not cursed, I'm not poisoned anymore, so what gives? Did anyone else have a similar problem? My ranger is my party's primary scout, and loosing her stealth is detrimental to our survival, so I'd be grateful for any advice.
Post edited by Syntia13 on

Comments

• OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Hmm... Never heard anything like this before. Did you check your stats? There are certain spells and enchantments that drop strength, but I don't think there are any that effect Dex which is where you get bonuses from, unnatural stats are colored red. I don't think the poison has any effect on the player other than the allotted 10 days before death. The antidote itself is really unimportant as long as you completed the quest correctly. Did you kill Marek or lothander before the quest would have allowed it? I really can't think of anything. Post a save and someone might find something.
    lolien
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Maybe you took Dex damage from a curse or other on-hit effect from a creature?
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    try naked
    sleep
    dispell magic
    remove curse
    check reputation because it is crucial for rangers to have i think above 6-7
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    edited June 2013
    Hey, there's ONE thing I did that I only now realized. I didn't got cursed or otherwise took damage to dexterity... but I did use the magic tomes to improve my dexterity and intelligence.
    Is it possible that stat-improving tomes are bugged this way? Cuz I can't think of anything else that could cause it. Like I said, I already slept, didn't put on any new armor/weapon/any other item, my reputation is 20, so no worries there, I cast a dispel during a battle to remove confusion and it didn't affect the stealth, and a visit to temple (and a look at the stat screen) confirmed I'm not cursed. Take a look yourselves:
    Before:image (edited this one, because I forgot to take of the Worn Whispers before taking the screenshot).
    and after: image
    Post edited by Syntia13 on
    01.jpg 281.1K
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Protector of the Second is plain leather, right? Not studded?
    *Sigh* I just tested the above theory, and it's rubbish. I loaded an earlier save, where I had dexterity 17 and stealth 79, found the Manual of Quickness of Action, used it, and my dexterity increased to 18, and stealth to 84.
    So either it's not this, or I had extremely bad luck and got a one-time bug.

Does anyone know what's causing it, and how can I reverse it in-game? I know I could always use EEkeeper, but I'm reluctant to do so. :(
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited June 2013
    Hmmm...seems it's recalculated your dex when your score changed, and is ignoring the stalker bonus. At lvl 6 ranger you have 37% base stealth. +10 for 18 dex, and +20 more stalker.
    *minor facepalm moment* I just noticed I posted a screen in which I was wearing Worn Whispers, which gave me total 97 stealth. Fixed it now
    @belgarathmth, that's right, it's leather armor +2. Daria's wearing it because it has a history of being used by rangers. ;)
    @ZanathKariashi - but that would mean that there was something wrong with my stealth score previously. 37% for 6lvl ranger, + 5% for 17 dexterity, + 20% for stalker, that's only 62%, not 79% I had.
    And now I have only 37%, with no dexterity bonus OR stalker bonus...

And when I went back to older save and used the tome of dexterity again, I went from 79 to 84% with no side effects.

I'm so confused right now... :(
    03.jpg 286.1K
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    It sure does sound like some kind of rare bug. Did you rule out the Marek and Lothander poisoning possibility?
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited June 2013
    You have no in-game way of changing your stealth bonus, but as a test, you may wish to give yourself enough XP to level up and see what happens. If you are so inclined, you can also upload one of your faulty saves and I'll have a look at the GAM file.

It should be 47 % (not 37 %) from being a 6th-level ranger, stored in the CRE structure and only recalculated at level-up, +20 % from being a Stalker, probably stored as an on-CRE effect and never recalculated, and +5 % from DEX 17 (+10 % from 18), added dynamically at runtime. The extra 7 % is probably from the bonuses for being human (+5 % HiS, +10 % MS; stealth is the average of HiS and MS), also added dynamically at runtime. As it happens, 37 % is what you would have if you had no ranger stealth, just the other stuff.
    @Wisp I did as you suggested, and after leveling up my stealth jumped to 92%. I then took a look at several saves through EEkeeper, and discovered that in 'thief' tab both 'hide in shadows' and 'moved silently' were:
    in the last save with proper stealth: 47 and 47
    in the save with lowered stealth: 0 and 0
    in the test save with lvl 7 and stealth 92: 55 and 55

So for some reason my basic stealth was wiped out at some point.
    I edited it back to 47, checked if it would progress normally when leveling up (it did), and I will now proceed playing.
    I'm very curious what caused the wipe-out, but the forum doesn't allow uploading the save files, so I guess I'll have to remain in ignorance. :/ Thank you for the offer to look at them, though. :)

@Schneidend :) Daria says: "Thank you!" ;) (The portrait is available in the dropbox, if anyone wants to use it)
  • LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
    I was admiring the portrait. Sorry to be off topic, but are you going to dual class to a cleric? I note the 18 wisdom.
    Could you do an experiment where you start the character again in Candlekeep. Then use EEKeeper to give them enough XP to level up to 5. Then check you stealth. Then add more XP to go to level 6, then 7. I was wondering if this problem could be recreated.
  • AprilApril Member Posts: 39
    I get this problem all the time in BG2 when dual classing thieves.
    Sometimes while the thief skills are unavailable they all get reset to 0 causing me to have to edit them with shadow keeper to get them back or restart the game.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Every time I read this post's title, I think it should be the opening line of a joke.
    MalicronMoomintrollReadingRambo
    @Scooter oh, you've been babysitting too, huh? ;D Nope, no legos as far as eye can see. ;)
    @Ligg I tried what you suggested, but nope, the problem didn't repeat, the stealth was progressing as expected. And yes, Daria will dual-class to cleric, but not until BG2EE. She'll be so traumatized after the Irenicus session, she'll forget everything she ever learned, and it will only come back to her with time. ;P It should be interesting to start BG2 with a one-level character, I've never tried that before.
    @April it looks like I encountered a variation of the same problem. Thank the powers for EEkeeper. :)
    @Edwin - heh, now that you pointed it out, it really does sound like that. What would be the punchline, though?
    @ReadingRambo

Why did my ranger lose stealth? Because after several minutes he couldn't control himself and charged in yelling something about hamsters.

And the award for making me LoL in one second flat goes to... :D:D:D

ReadingRamboelminster
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @thespace I think it's the matter of the different class. I'm playing ranger/stalker. Rangers in general have only one ability, 'stealth', which is 'hide in shadows' and 'move silently' combined and divided in half (so the Worn Whispers give me +18 stealth, instead of +20% hide in shadow and +15% move silently), and stalkers in particular have additional bonuses to stealth.
    [Deleted User]
  • LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
    thespace said:

I'm curious, I'm playing as an evil F/Thief right now. Once I got to Baldur's Gate and picked up the DEX book it only raised my hide and move silently by 3 points each (from 110 to 113), instead of 5. Is this a bug or the way it's supposed to be?

It depends on what your score went to. If you were an elf with a 19 dex and it went to 20 then you would only get a +3 increase. The bonuses for stealth seem to decrease for 19 & 20 dexterity.

JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]elminster
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.