Skip to content

Killing Dynaheir *After* Edwin is in the Party - Initiates Edwin's Reward Dialogue

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
edited March 2013 in Original BG1 Bugs
Not sure if this happens in EE, but definitely does in the original -

Observed
--------
If you have already saved Dynaheir *before* talking to Edwin for the first time, he will join your party to watch over her. However, if Dynaheir then dies at any point, he will initiate the dialogue as if you had agreed to kill her, negotiating your reward.

Expected
--------
If Dynaheir dies after Edwin joins your party, he should either depart or stay, but it should not execute the same dialogue as if you agreed to kill her.

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2012
    This one may already be addressed, but I wanted to be sure. Heck it might not even be a bug, but I'm fairly certain that its not working exactly right.

If by some crazy chance you don't talk to Edwin, but instead grab Minsc and save Dynaheir from the Gnolls, and then you later have a chat with our favorite Red Wizard of Thay, he demands to go with you to keep an eye on her. Its actually the only way to get all three in a party... though that party isn't likely to last.

After this, if Dynaheir dies, I've always been immediately prompted with Edwin's dialogue discussing her death and his payment to me. This is even though we never negotiated a payment because he never joined me under the pretense of me agreeing to kill her.

Not a developer, but might be an easy fix (maybe?) if you only trigger the dialogue if the player chose the dialogue option to agree to kill her *and* she dies.
    Post edited by Balquo on
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    I don't know where I read this, but if you don't talk to Edwin until after having saved Dynaheir together with Minsc, they can all travel along with you without ever coming to blows. It's been working for me so far, but I'm not sure it does in every version of the game.
    KolonKu said:

I don't know where I read this, but if you don't talk to Edwin until after having saved Dynaheir together with Minsc, they can all travel along with you without ever coming to blows. It's been working for me so far, but I'm not sure it does in every version of the game.

Yep! That's what I said above except I didn't realize that they don't fight... likely because I never keep that kind of party together too long. I did notice this issue tho... if it is one.
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    @HaHaCharade

Yeah, my post was embarrasingly similar to yours after a re-read! About Edwin and his payment, it seems like he shouldn't initiate dialogue unless you talked to him before you went and got Dynaheir.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited October 2012
    HaHaCharade is completely correct. This literally just happened to me last night. I was thinking about reporting it here, aaaaand look what there is.

Just like you, I did not talk to him beforehand AT ALL. He insisted on joining my party. Dynaheir dies, we start talking about payment. Lolwut.

Hilariously, after that dialogue about payment he finally delivered his "reaction to party member death" line, "The witch finally falls!" or something like that. This is probably all that *should* happen, not the whole discussion about payment.

Anyway yeah, not really a bug, just an oversight that definitely needs addressing if it isn't already.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    It isn't a bug, Edwin main mission is to spy main char if i'm not wrong, The Thavian choosed Edwin to observe main char and see what link he has with the iron shortage and after they discover that main char is an Bhaalspawn they instructed edwin to observe him to see if he will be an danger or obstacle to the Thavian interests. I believe this is better adressed in BG II during Edwin episode with the Nether scroll and when the other red wizard comes in hunt of him.

Dinaheir is a personal problem that he throw in the party, after all it's Edwin, if he can fulfill his mission and even manipulate the main objective to achieve his ends... well it's just more profit. If you speak with Edwin with Dynaheir in the party, he will start to make advices of how evil, disgusting, dangerous, problematic (among other compliments) Dynaheir is, but he will still fulfill his main mission. Of course no one fall for Edwin's biased stupid warnings.

If i'm not wrong, if you reach Dynaheir with Edwin in the party, you can even force him to accept her in the party, or just say to him to kill her by himself (what he does with no problems).
    kamuizin said:

It isn't a bug, Edwin main mission is to spy main char if i'm not wrong, The Thavian choosed Edwin to observe main char and see what link he has with the iron shortage and after they discover that main char is an Bhaalspawn they instructed edwin to observe him to see if he will be an danger or obstacle to the Thavian interests.

I'm not following you. That doesn't change that the dialogue is messed up. He is acting like you made a deal with him when no deal was struck. He references a previous conversation which didn't take place.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    People need to start actually *reading* the first post, I think. Seriously.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Sorry for that so, it's about 5:30 am where i live atm :)! i posted that at 4:00 more or less.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    So when she dies, her death script should check for the quest to kill her as a requirement for triggering the dialog with Edwin.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Please put all bug reports in observed/expected format.
    Jalily said:

Please put all bug reports in observed/expected format.

Edited
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited July 2013
    Registered. :)

Post edited by Balquo on