Skip to content

Changing CHARNAME's voiceset to that of an NPC

ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
Title says it all. Is it possible, and if so, how? I'm tired of there not being a dwarven voiceset, and wouldn't mind using Kagain's or Yeslick's.

Comments

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    I haven't tested it in-game, but assuming it is as easy as it looks, you should be able to select their soundsets after installing this mod.

(In short, read the appropriate strrefs from the CRE, construct a string suitable for being inserted in charsnd.2da and insert it.)
    edited July 2013
    Okay, so it doesn't work for whatever reason. If creating a soundset doesn't work, I think the only other option would be to hack the GAM file, which is slightly intricate. I don't know if EEKeeper can do it, but NI definitely can. Again, it's basically just a matter of looking up which strrefs Kagain/Yeslick use and assigning them to the CRE file embedded in your GAM file.

Edit: just to be clear, maybe it is possible to create a soundset, but if so, there is evidently something more to it than merely adding it to charsnd.2da.
    Post edited by Wisp on
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    @Wisp Cheers. I guess I'll fiddle about with NI then.
    edited July 2013
    Let's see if I can help you bit more.
    In NI, open Kagain/Yeslick in a new window (right-click in the resource tree) and switch to the edit tab. Also open charsnd.2da in a new window.
    Then Game->Open File->Open External File->Browse for your saved game and select BALDUR.GAM->(I'm going from memory from here on, but maybe I get it right anyway)->Select *HARBASE->View/Edit->Select the edit tab and scroll down->View/edit the CRE File->select the edit tab and scroll down.
    Now, at some point a bit down you'll see the fields for the soundset. Kagain/Yeslick have a fair number of sounds that a PC does not use. If you consult charsnd.2da, the leftmost column holds indices (starting from 0) for the sounds that are used. If you count from initial meeting (which is sound 0), you will, for example, find that 6 is the "leader" sound and 9 is the first battle cry. In Kagain's window, look up the stringrefs for each of these sounds and edit the corresponding field in your GAM file to the same value. You should be able to right click->Copy value and right click->Replace value.

When you are done, save the file and avoid customising your soundset in-game.