Skip to content

BG1 with TUTU, and what other mods?

Hi there,

I've tried finding the right info in the various forums, but most of the relevant topics are pretty outdated...
Since BGEE is off the shelves, I have bought BG+BG2 from GOG. I understand there are endless number of mods out there, but I'd like to keep my first run experience quite close to the original BG1.

Many threads recommend these mods for a fun close-to-vanilla experience: easytutu, degreenifier, BG1NPC, BG1 Unfinished Business and Widescreen. Am I missing anything?

So I tried installing those, and especially BG1NPC and BG1UB gave me so many options on the install, that I got completely lost. I have no idea what anything means. Is there anywhere a list of components recommended for a first-time-player?

Thank a lot!!
ruby

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If this is your first time playing, I really only recommend Tutu and Widescreen. Play through the game to see the core content before adding new things (A lot of Unfinished Business is fan-created, albeit well-researched). Then you can play it again with UB and see the difference.

Personally I'm a fan of Item Revisions.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    12ruby21 said:

Hi there,

I've tried finding the right info in the various forums, but most of the relevant topics are pretty outdated...
    Since BGEE is off the shelves, I have bought BG+BG2 from GOG. I understand there are endless number of mods out there, but I'd like to keep my first run experience quite close to the original BG1.

Many threads recommend these mods for a fun close-to-vanilla experience: easytutu, degreenifier, BG1NPC, BG1 Unfinished Business and Widescreen. Am I missing anything?

So I tried installing those, and especially BG1NPC and BG1UB gave me so many options on the install, that I got completely lost. I have no idea what anything means. Is there anywhere a list of components recommended for a first-time-player?

Thank a lot!!
    ruby

I got my game from GOG too... I thought that WAS the Vanilla version??
  • 12ruby2112ruby21 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a lot for the tips! They are very helpful!

I guess I don't really need BG1UB, since there is enough content in the game even without all the, well, unfinished business.

I understand that BG1NPC adds quite a lot to an aspect greatly lacking in the game, namely interaction with the NPCs. But how can I know during installation, for example, which starting locations I should choose for the NPCs, which I have never encountered before...

Besides easytutu, degreenifier and widescreen, should I install any fixpack/tweakpack? Or a BG1GUI fix? Or a mod which brings back the original paper dolls and icons that are replaced by TUTU (can you maybe refer me to any such mods?)
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited June 2013
    @12ruby21
    If there's nothing that stands out, I'd pass on Unfinished Business. There's nothing in there that is going to particularly wow you, as a first time player. Once you have played the game, you'll be in a better position to determine if there is anything in there that interests you.

For BG1 NPC, install the two first components ("Required Modifications", "Banters, Quests, and Interjections"), any/all of the romances [1] if you are so inclined, and perhaps "Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs. Xan vs. Coran", "NPCs Can Be Sent to Wait in an Inn" (otherwise some of them permanently disappear if/when they leave the party), "Make Shar-Teel Unkillable until In Party" (there's normally a chance she could die while you recruit her) and you should be good to go. Obviously, if you peruse the readme and something looks interesting, feel free to install that too; this is just what I consider the bare minimum with some of the more significant optional bits.

There are no additional fixes available for EasyTutu (at least not in standalone form), partly because once, EasyTutu was integrating fixes into itself. You could install the G3 BG2 Tweakpack (which, despite its name, works on EasyTutu), but if you find large number of options initially overwhelming, you should probably pass on that.

For BG1 paperdolls and other graphical changes, you have 1PP.

1. Ajantis, Coran and Xan are men, Lawful Good, Chaotic Good and Lawful Neutral respectively. Branwen, Dynaheir and Shar-Teel are women, True Neutral, Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil, respectively. All romances are straight.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited June 2013
    Stupid forum and stupid browser. I blame everyone but myself.
  • crovikycroviky Member Posts: 2
    I'm a first time player (not sure if this is the right place to ask but i'll give it a shot anyway) as well and the only thing bugging me about the game is the journal entry part - it doesn't show when a quest is completed and everything is just jumbled up in there. Heard there's a way to "fix" that by installing something but no clue what and how xD would appreciate some help :))
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    bg:ee improves journal

#1 if first time than pass on the mods because some oh them cause troubles