Skip to content

First time player - BG1 with TUTU, and what other mods?

12ruby2112ruby21 Member Posts: 3
Hi there,

I've tried finding the right info in the various forums, but most of the relevant topics are pretty outdated...
Since BGEE is off the shelves, I have bought BG+BG2 from GOG. I understand there are endless number of mods out there, but I'd like to keep my first run experience quite close to the original BG1.

Many threads recommend these mods for a fun close-to-vanilla experience: easytutu, degreenifier, BG1NPC, BG1 Unfinished Business and Widescreen. Am I missing anything?

So I tried installing those, and especially BG1NPC and BG1UB gave me so many options on the install, that I got completely lost. I have no idea what each component means. Is there anywhere a list of components recommended for a first-time-player? Perhaps I don't need any? I heard that BG1NPC adds quite a lot to an aspect greatly lacking in the game, namely interaction with the NPCs. But how can I know during installation, for example, which starting locations I should choose for the NPCs, which I have never encountered before...

Besides easytutu, degreenifier and widescreen, should I install any fixpack/tweakpack? Or a BG1GUI fix? Or a mod which brings back the original paper dolls and icons that are replaced by TUTU (can you maybe refer me to any such mods?)

Thanks a lot!
Ruby

(posted also to the newbie forum, but maybe modding is a more relevant forum to post)

Comments

• francofranco Member Posts: 507
    edited June 2013
    My thought is that it is best for a first time player to play the game in the original form it was developed for awhile. You will have so many mechanics and tactics to learn that it is best it would be kept relatively straightforward and simple for you. You're already being bogged down in mods.

I would love to have the experience again of playing BG for the first time, just the way it was produced. The sense of a new adventure alone and executed so well, is priceless.
    Post edited by franco on
  • crovikycroviky Member Posts: 2
    I'm a first time player (not sure if this is the right place to ask but i'll give it a shot anyway) as well and the only thing bugging me about the game is the journal entry part - it doesn't show when a quest is completed and everything is just jumbled up in there. Heard there's a way to "fix" that by installing something but no clue what and how xD would appreciate some help :))
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    Honestly, for a near vanilla playthrough of BG 1 and 2, I would at least use tutu, and the BG2 fixpack. Tweakpack is also recommended. Everything else is technically optional, and only adds on to the original game.