Skip to content

New player here, need help plz :)

Totally new player here, just got the game today. Was wanting some recommendations on a good class to play through my first time? I have only seen a little bit of gameplay for this. Also whats some good starting skills to go along with the recommended classes? Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited July 2013
    fighter/thief multiclass elf long swords and bows stats most important str dex con

fighter berserek half-orc something like long swords or maces or axes or 2handed swords + style if 2handed swords 2 handed style if not 2 handed than dual wielding stats str dex con

fighter/cleric dwarf/orc dual wielding maces stats str dex con and wisdom

18/91 is very good str only better is 18/00 (18/100)

take your time to read everything it will help you with first time playing

you should have thief in party with at least 60(?%) of finding trap for the first big quest
    1 cleric/druid is enough
    mages are very good later
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    zur312's advice is good.

I'll add a Cavalier as a good class for a beginner also. They gain natural resistance to a lot of the most frustrating spell effects the enemies throw at you. 2H sword wielding paladin is a nice way to slash your way through the Sword Coast for the first time.
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    Fighter classes like Ranger, Paladin, Fighter, and Barbarian are all great for beginners. My first time playing this game I tried mage and died to my first wolf and didnt play again for like 3 months, but then I played something easy like fighter and it was a ton of fun.

Long swords or 2 Handed swords are good, and any style is probably fine, whatever you choose.

No matter what class you play try to get high dex, and that classes appriopriate stat. Str and con are also useful for any class, but only really vital for fighter types.

Also, dont rush into the main story, it can help a lot to explore and do sidequests early, and it also makes the game more fun.

And lastly dont give up! The baldurs gate series is amazing but awfully hard to get into.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    You'll have a whole party with you, so picking a strong class or newbie friendly class isn't as big of a deal as it is in some games. And if you pick something you like to play you're more likely to stick past the hard parts you will run into since you've never played before.

That said, the Paladin Class with the Cavalier Kit (Humans Only sadly) is very newbie friendly. It has a lot of innate resistances and immunities on top of being a melee tank class for good survivability.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    If you are playing BG EE, I wouldn't worry too much about min/maxing to have a 'perfect' character. BG EE is significantly easier than Vanilla, and you will be fine as long as you do learn your lessons as you progress.

As mentioned above, a fighter based class is easier for a total beginner, since the magic system can be a bit overwhelming, and casters are very weak in the early game.

For a first play-through, I think you'd get the most from this game if you just roleplayed it as opposed to powerplay, and work through it mostly yourself. I finished my first play through recently, and kinda regret that I spoilt the game a bit by looking at a walkthrough for parts of the game.

Discovery and learning is half the fun!

This guy got through the much tougher Vanilla game despite being pretty clueless and using a very weak character (in terms of ability stats). So really, almost anything will work!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR01akSU7Do&list=SP73B6586E4373F3B3&index=2

• raxtorenraxtoren Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2013
    whatever you want. The thing is, any bad judgement in character class you pick, can be compensated/fixed by picking the rest of your partymembers.

So lets say you pick a thief, well you can always recruit good, strong fighters for tanking etc.

I will say this though, as one who played through BG1 and 2, you will always want a tank,healer and someone who can do magic, may that be a druid or pure mage etc.

If your party can tank,heal and buff/dps the rest 3 slots can be anything, I would strongly suggest a thief, but that is optional tbh.

Oh, and classes to recommended for someone new to the game; Paladin and Barbarian etc.

Barbarian are great for tanking, or dualwielding / you can swap these depending on what enemy you face - Barbarians are very,very strong in BG2 if you will take over your character there. They may not be able to wear plate, but they gain physical resistance with level ups, this is especially great in BG where the level cap is 40 something, and with the right gear you can have up to 80% physical resistance and go into berserk mode and basically be immune vs magic.
    Paladins are good, strong warriors in BG but will become great in BG2 - Inquistor are for example perfect mage slayers through BG1 and BG2.
    Cavalier are good strong paladins in melee who can also buff themself and strong vs demonic/draconia enemies that shows up in BG2.