Skip to content

Dorn il-khan

IMO an arnold schwarzennegger style badass is not a fit thematic to add to a game like Baldurs gate. God thats just horrible.

Comments

• SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited July 2013
    Maybe Conan the Barbarian finds YOU are horrible.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    He's not really as "badass" as he may first appear. Thematically, it's not like D&D ever had a shortage of muscle bound fighter types with large swords, so I can't really see an issue with that either other than the possible cliché.
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    IMO he's one of the greatest things ever happend to BG 1. I mean he has got a real got story full of betrayal , revenge and mystic powers granted by a demon, and to keep those powers he must kill.

And if we want to compare someone to a muscle like Arnold , I would say Minsc fits the description better. Dorn is more complex. So why wouldn't he fit a game like BG ? Sarevok is badass too so I don't really get your point :S ....
  • SheikhSheikh Member Posts: 26
    I dont know about sarevok (havent encountered him yet), but minsc is just a typical barbarian and a dumbass, nothing badass about him. Dorn il khan and his tough life and his attitude of dealing with it on the other hand it just feels cheesy as hell.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Sheikh said:

I dont know about sarevok (havent encountered him yet), but minsc is just a typical barbarian and a dumbass, nothing badass about him. Dorn il khan and his tough life and his attitude of dealing with it on the other hand it just feels cheesy as hell.

Think of what it means to be a half-orc raised by orcs. Neither of your parent races particularly like you, and many humans and orcs will outright hate you. Orcs themselves are a destructive race of savage tribal raiders who worship a god of destruction, so naturally it would be difficult not to be hardened both by being raised in such a culture and because of unmitigated prejudice just for being a half-breed. Dorn came to rely solely on himself until he met Simmeon's crew, and then even they betrayed him and used him as a scapegoat to save their own hides.

• mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    edited July 2013
    Sheikh said:

Baldur's Gate is a pretty typical fantasy setting, and lots of things in it are cheesy as hell. Dorn is a pretty good fit.

The character who doesn't fit in at all has to be Neera. She seems more like character out of a bad teen rom com movie than someone who lives in a medieval fantasy setting.

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013
    Well....actually...Half-orcs tend to be well-respected in most Orc tribes (though it really just depends on the tribe and/or who their relatives are).....they're EXTREMELY intelligent compared to the average orc, and only slightly physically weaker, so as long as they use their greater intelligence potential and uphold the ideals of their tribe, they can be very well respected. Orcs generally care more about results then anything else. AS long as you're strong and tough, that's all that matters....and if you happen to be much more intelligent and as a result have lots of successful raids or keeping rivals occupied, you can become extremely well respected, possibly even chief, or at least a high ranking adviser, if you lack the strength to challenge the Chief directly.

Half-orcs among humans on the other hand, tend to be treated like %^$& because of their appearance, and stereotypically lower intelligence or perceived brutish heritage.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I agree, actually; Dorn is an incredibly flat character despite being made out to be super deep and interesting. He just isn't. I enjoy him, but I only started enjoying him once I made peace with the fact that he is a flat character. Beamdog really talked him up like he was going to have this story that was edgy and all that, but he's honestly quite flat and, even with his crappy back story, still seems like he is evil just for the sake of being evil.

For those who have played Throne of Bhaal only:
    My biggest gripe with Dorn is that he feels a lot like ToB Sarevok. Except Sarevok actually has depth to him unlike Dorn. Dorn is cool and all but Sarevok trumps him in every way in depth of character, relatability, etc. Hopefully Dorn will be expanded upon in a meaningful manner in BGII:EE, otherwise he will feel incredibly redundant.