Skip to content

Seeking Sword Duration Length

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited July 2013 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
Current Behaviour: Not sure what it was in BG2, but the Seeking Sword for me is lasting for a turn plus a round/level. Technically the description says it only lasts for a round/level.

Expected Behaviour: Either the spells duration length should be adjusted or the description should be changed (under the character creation screen under Priest of Helm).

Apparently this was already pointed out here http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9713/bug-seeking-sword-duration-donation-rep-costs but I guess because its poster was banned it hasn't been brought to the top of the list by my recent comment.

Comments

• IN1IN1 Member Posts: 168
    edited December 2012
    1. Currently, Seeking Sword lasts for 1 turn. As far as I can judge, it is not affected by character's level, either. Its duration, according to in-game description, should be 1 round/level.

That said, perhaps it's actually beneficial to leave it as is, since Priest of Helm is definitely an underplayed kit. A minute long strong weapon buff that early into the game may change the general attitude. Hell, Priest of Helm might actually become a popular kit for dual-classing into Fighter with Grandmastery in Long Swords: 4 ApR with a 2d4 weapon as Priest of Helm 2/Fighter 3 is quite good.

2. A Manual states +rep donation costs for reputation values 13 and 14, respectively, are 200 and 500. De facto, these donation costs are 1200 and 1500.
    Post edited by IN1 on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @Dee if you could merge my thread here with this one or just delete it that would be great. I didn't realise the search works with the bugs forum now.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Done.

As for the duration, I can't say for sure, but I suspect the additional turn is to make it a worthwhile ability at level 1 (it's not very useful if it only lasts for a single round).
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Then again so isn't the boon of lathander either.
    edited July 2013
    SionIV said:

Then again so isn't the boon of lathander either.

Yea but the Boon of Lathander gains usability as the game progresses. The sword on the other hand is more of a early game weapon. I think the penalty for the seeking sword (not being able to cast spells) more than makes up for the benefits it provides and also makes its usability less desirable later on (though since its an innate ability you might be able to still cast it after using say something like holy power).
    I agree with you, i'm just saying that you won't get anything out of the boon the first 3-4 levels. And as both have the same duration in the description it would be odd to change on and not the other.
    edited July 2013
    The abilities durations don't have to match up, I actually don't know if this was always the case that the spell gained this at level 1 (under the coding for BG2 that is). I favour the difference because without it seeking sword basically only gives 1 attack per round extra at the cost of not being able to cast spells (you only hit as a +4 sword I don't think you don't actually get better thaco or anything). Also shillelagh (level 1 druid spell that creates a club) lasts for 5 rounds (plus bonus per level), flame blade lasts for 4 (at character level 3), spiritual hammer lasts for 6 rounds (at character level 3). None of these weapons though make you lose out on casting spells and they all start with a better duration than what Seeking Sword would get at their level.
    edited July 2013
    The problem would be what will they change it to`?

1 turn
    1 turn + (6 sec per level)
    1 turn + 1 turn every 6 levels?
    1 turn + 1 turn every 10 levels (Would be the normal duration at those levels)

Its already at 1 turn +6 seconds per level. I say leave it at that. Only one type of cleric will be able to use it and none of the NPC's can, so I don't think its really that much of a balance issue.
    SionIV