Skip to content

Fences shouldn't buy goods stolen from them

ZakerosZakeros Member Posts: 75
While reading http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/405/merchants-buy-back-at-full-price-until-you-close-the-store-window#latest it came to my mind... When you sell your stuff to someone who's accepting stolen goods, for example - Roger the Fence, you can steal them back and sell again, and again, and again... Way to get infinite money while having a decent thief, but it's really annoying, I mean, how many times in a row one can buy Celestial Fury?

My request is to prevent people from doing it and make sure Fences are accepting stolen things only if they didn't have it on their store.
tenaMajoritasAndreaColomboJames_McarugaNooneelse

Comments

• KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    Indeed , I agree. In fact networks of thieves should communicate with each other when they're stolen from. It's all too easy to get Yoshi straight out of Chateux Irenicus, buy a few pots of master thievery and just go to town on one of the various fences about the city and end up with 100k within a few minutes.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    On one hand it's obviously a bug, which should be fixed. On the other hand there are numerous exploits that the clever player can use to "cheat" the system to make big money.. Not to mention, one can use the editor and give their characters any items/money they wish. .. Isn't the onus on the player to play by the rules of the game if they so choose? There will always be ways to cheat, but it's up to the player to decide if they want to go through with it or not. I'm for freedom of choice, if a player want to exploit the game world unfairly to make a quick 100k, they should be free to do so, even of it does take the fun out of the game.
    nulspacethemaelstorm
    yeah thats a good point, but on some level players crave structure more than they do freedom (armchair game design philosophy inc!) and giving too much freedom or god mode can ruin the game experience because there isn't enough direction.

In this case there is a fairly grey line between what is reasonable and what isn't and so it encourages players to trivialise money since it seems kosher. It's a bit cheesy, but so are spike traps and everyone has probably used them 100% cheesily before. We don't all have enough will power. I know I don't!
    caruga
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I like the idea but I'd rather they concentrate on other stuff like user friendly modding
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    I don't think this is a priority, and could be a pain to deal with given that the game sees many items as identical and so could not differentiate between them without quite a bit of tinkering, as it is you can go to Maevars thieves guild buy the master thievery potions (or steal them) then endlessly buy and resell the +2 maces they have there :D.

@Kore Is there a non cheesy way to use traps?
    I don't think this is a priority, and could be a pain to deal with given that the game sees many items as identical and so could not differentiate between them without quite a bit of tinkering, as it is you can go to Maevars thieves guild buy the master thievery potions (or steal them) then endlessly buy and resell the +2 maces they have there :D.

@Kore Is there a non cheesy way to use traps?
    Yeah, not a priority, just how I'd ideally like it to be. And spike traps? Nope, no there is not :)
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    The Revised Thievery component of Rogue Rebalancing implements this change, among other things. The corresponding WeiDU code is fairly simple:
    // Disallow stealing from fences

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.sto$~ ~override~ // parses through all stores in the game (even those added by mods)
    PATCH_IF (%SOURCE_SIZE% > 0x9b) THEN BEGIN // file size sanity check (filters out 0 byte files i.e. ALLOW_MISSING)
    READ_LONG 0x10 "flags"
    PATCH_IF (("%flags%" BAND 0x1000) = 0x1000) BEGIN // if the store is flagged as a fence
    PATCH_IF (("%flags%" BAND 0x08) = 0x08) BEGIN // and if that store can be stolen from
    SET "flags" &= (` 0x08) // clear the "Can Steal from Store" flag
    WRITE_LONG 0x10 "flags"
    END
    END
    END
    BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
    As always, if the BGEE developers find this code useful, they are free to use it.
    ZakerosAndreaColomboGrungeChlapec
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    Fences should be impossible to steal from in the first place.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I didn't know fences had anything to steal at all. Except a couple pickets.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    They have the items you sell them to be stolen back.
  • JoeJoe Member Posts: 6
    Fences should be impossible to steal from in the first place.
    I kinda agree with this; a fence would, typically I guess, be well versed in thieving, and so should recognise when someone is trying to pickpocket them.

How about adding in some comedy lines for the various fences if they buy the same item back more than x times?
    "Hey now, this looks familiar", or "Hmmm, sure I've already got one of those".
    caruga