Skip to content

Quayle

LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
I'm running an all chaotic neutral party and Quayle is my cleric. When he joined our group, he was level 6/5 with 24 of a possible 34 HP. Not a big deal, but every little bit helps when it's a fighter light 4 man party. Is it possible to get to Baldur's Gate at level 4 or even 3, and recruit Quayle at a lower level? Or is he always 6/5 no matter what?
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    There are three versions. Level 2/2, 4/3 and the one you already know, 6/5.

So yes, it is possible to get him at a lower level but that means getting to him when you yourself are at a lower level. Could be tricky.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Some mods (such as NPC project) will move him for you, making it easier to pick him up early.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Also Lvl1 NPC mod will put everyones level to 1 and let you level them up as you wish.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I wonder how Quayle joined the circus.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited July 2013
    Edwin said:

I wonder how Quayle joined the circus.

To be honest, not nearly enough time has really passed between BG1 and 2 for everything that's supposed to have happened with him and Aerie to have happened. Unless he was already with the circus when you meet him in BG1, but had to leave temporarily for some reason and being a bit absent minded decided to wander a bit. One last adventure before retiring for good sort of thing.

Or it's not the same Quayle; it's never really said outright that he knows you in BG2. It's just sort of vaguely hinted that you seem familiar, somehow. Or maybe the Quayle you meet in BG1 is a much younger Quayle from when he invented time travel... or BG2 Quayle is Quayle from the future who found himself stranded in the past and figured the circus would be a good place to avoid interfering in history too much.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Are you saying Quayle is Dr Who? That explains so much...
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Delvarian said:

Are you saying Quayle is Dr Who? That explains so much...

No, no... he taught the Time Lords everything they know of course... that was a mistake. And obviously has helped the Doctor a few times when the poor lad has been in over his head. The Doctor still comes to him for advice.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Balquo said:

So yes, it is possible to get him at a lower level but that means getting to him when you yourself are at a lower level. Could be tricky.

Challenge accepted!

I can get to Davedorn at level 1 or two, and probably even defeat him, I just don't know if I can keep that XP reward spread out enough to stay under second level. He's like 5 or 6k alone, and then there is the matter of dealing with his helmed horrors which are like a 1 or 2k payoff each, and there are like 2 or 3 of them if a potion of perception doesnt give me the prowess to undo those nasty traps of his...

As Dorn would say, "Hrmmm.".

If the traps can be removed, then it's around 7k tops for killing D and that one inept guard whom Safana can charm into running out to greet the mage first.

So, if my main gets there with a doable XP cushin of 2.5k before level 3, I would need a party of at least 3, maybe 4.

Me, beserker stud, for my mage killing nastiness (thanks potions of magic blocking!)

Safana for traps and inept guard charming

A mage or bard who can use scrolls of invisibility to get us there intact, and wands of frost and paralyzation for HHs if trap removal fails.

A cleric for sanctuary, command, and silence spells.

Definitely doable, the hard part will be finding the funds to gets all the potions and scrolls i will need at such a low level. Guess I'll have to pawn that ring o wizardry. Haha
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    Lateralus said:

Balquo said:

Challenge accepted!

I can get to Davedorn at level 1 or two, and probably even defeat him, I just don't know if I can keep that XP reward spread out enough to stay under second level. He's like 5 or 6k alone, and then there is the matter of dealing with his helmed horrors which are like a 1 or 2k payoff each, and there are like 2 or 3 of them if a potion of perception doesnt give me the prowess to undo those nasty traps of his...

If the traps can be removed, then it's around 7k tops for killing D and that one inept guard whom Safana can charm into running out to greet the mage first.

So, if my main gets there with a doable XP cushin of 2.5k before level 3, I would need a party of at least 3, maybe 4.

Me, beserker stud, for my mage killing nastiness (thanks potions of magic blocking!)

A mage or bard who can use scrolls of invisibility to get us there intact, and wands of frost and paralyzation for HHs if trap removal fails.

Definitely doable, the hard part will be finding the funds to gets all the potions and scrolls i will need at such a low level. Guess I'll have to pawn that ring o wizardry. Haha
    Money shouldn't be as big of an issue. You can still do all the quests you just can't level up. A sleep wand (high hedge), paralysis wand (cave near sirines in lighthouse area) or the fireball wand (in Ankheg lair in the area north of FAI) can go a long way here.
    elminster said:

Lateralus said:

Balquo said:

Challenge accepted!

Money shouldn't be as big of an issue. You can still do all the quests you just can't level up. A sleep wand (high hedge), paralysis wand (cave near sirines in lighthouse area) or the fireball wand (in Ankheg lair in the area north of FAI) can go a long way here.
    Don't forget about the wand of frost near the Nashkel Mine entrance double damage to ironish creatures.

I actually can't do the quests, because an NPC's level is determined by the protagonists XP, not the level. Or so I suspect
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I don't think Quayle has an attached quest so you could use the console to summon him up.
    I dont do mode and stuff. I dont have a good reason not to, just dont
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    All you have to do is keep your Player Character at a low level. You can have the experience and all, just don't hit that level up button after second level.
    Quartz said:

All you have to do is keep your Player Character at a low level. You can have the experience and all, just don't hit that level up button after second level.

Really? Well, that's a game changer. That makes everything way easier, because I can level up all of my NPC's and then kick them out right before recruiting new ones, heck I might not even need to to that if it only matters about the main characters level, right? I was looking forward to the challenge of actually not having the XP though! haha

Lateralus said:

Quartz said:

Really? Well, that's a game changer. That makes everything way easier, because I can level up all of my NPC's and then kick them out right before recruiting new ones, heck I might not even need to to that if it only matters about the main characters level, right? I was looking forward to the challenge of actually not having the XP though! haha

I just tested on Jaheira/Khalid. Only when your character is leveled up will these NPC's be set at anything other than their lowest level (even in my case if you have the 161,000 experience available that I cheated in).
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited July 2013
    Lateralus said:

Yeah no, you don't even need to boot them out. The original NPCs are level scaled according to your PC's level alone. Not your experience, even, so basically if you play a Thief/Bard PC everyone you pick up will have dumb amounts of EXP, haha. For instance picking up Xzar while you are Level 6 Thief, you have 20k EXP and he has 40k. The new NPCs are actually scaled to your experience*, so that's worth mentioning.

*except Baeloth. He's automatically Level 6 no matter what.
    @ Balquo

Well, looks like there isn't a level 2/2 version of Quayle. I stayed at 2nd level before meeting him and he was level 4/3. It's probably just a coincidence but my total XP is 13,840 and Quayle's is 14,326...
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Lateralus
    There is a Quayle 2/2, but he's not available in-game. The earliest Quayle you can get is the 4/3 one. Quayle 2/2 in probably junk left from the development process.
    edited July 2013
    You can always just CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("Quayle") You should get a 2/2 version that way (I just did).
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    If you don't want to CLUA in another Quayle (which might be strange when you then meet him for real), you may also CLUA yourself over to his location, add him to your party and the CLUA you all back again. Perhaps when you visit Friendly Arms Inn (kind of nearby)? I've done this numerous times and it won't screw up anything.
    I tried to install wineskin/weido/mods/whatamidoings for my mac os and i get confused, bored, than frustrated. Im the kind of guy who likes his work complicated and his game time SIMPLE. If it becomes a hassel i find another game. :)

Quayle can wait, and he should have the fewest hp in the party because hes 1/3 the physique.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Lateralus said:

I tried to install wineskin/weido/mods/whatamidoings for my mac os and i get confused, bored, than frustrated. Im the kind of guy who likes his work complicated and his game time SIMPLE. If it becomes a hassel i find another game. :)

Quayle can wait, and he should have the fewest hp in the party because hes 1/3 the physique.

CLUA doesn't require any mods. It is part of the game design. Sounds like it isn't needed for you anyway, though.
    Recruiting Q into your party before level 5 is a huge mistake, because he has Wraithform in his spellbook at that level. That is one of the best spells in the game and it;s impossible to find anywhere else.

BTW, Quayle is a pleasant surprise. If you're smart, he is the most useful NPC in the game:

* I gave him the gauntlets of ogre power, turning his biggest disadvantage (8 STR) into an advantage. His sling and melee damage are now significant, and he can now wield better weapons and shields. As well as haul treasure.

* His special ability is a quick casting invisibility spell, this keeps him from drawing aggravation to begin fights. It also helps him sneak around in my small party of rogues (charname and Safana). When something goes wrong this saves him time and time again.

* If it's a dungeon crawl and you want to load up on cleric spells, well guess what, all of those potions of insight now have a use. His low WIS has never been an issue, there isn't any casting failure and with the Ring of Sune he gets an extra bonus spell per level anyways. My party is small and there is no need for him to memorize healing spells (charname is tank that regenerates plus Bhaal healing), so that frees everything up for other spells.

* His buffing ability is bar none the best in the game. Wrathform, Prot. from Missles, Ghost Armor, Mirror Image, Monster Summoning (cleric+illusionist), and on and on. Quayle has access to every arcane and divine buff spell in the game, which enables him to run around the battlefield nancy karagaining peeps in their knees while talking about how dumb they are.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    I prefer to have the little bugger in my party long before level 5, even if it means missing out on a great spell.
    I hope Quayle doesnt get a big head from all of these thread bumps, hes so sweet and humble. The thing is, i've read some criticisms about him with regards to his low str and subsiquent feeble martial arts capacity. I must remind the realms that he can summon and use as if he were proficient a +2 warhammer and of course flameblade is a slashing options.
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    Being a gnomester myself it's kinda nice to a have another " brother" in the house.