Skip to content

[Feature] Move gauntlets of ogre strength to earlier in the game

KoreKore Member Posts: 245
These gauntlets are a powerful force in the game, but I think they should be available sooner in the game since they are an even more powerful tool for customising your party the way that you like. Like the Gauntlets of Dexterity, these are very important for making certain NPCs better than lacklustre. Khalid and Jaheria for example need them to be reasonable in melee.

They should be moved into a dungeon that can be reached early on, but would need a reasonably advanced party to clear, something like Nashkel Mines or a party of similar strength to Sendai, Delgod and Alexander. The trials for getting Bracers of Archery and Gauntlets of Dex are pretty small, and I like this.

PS: On a similar note, have we discussed moving NPCs only available late in the game to earlier yet?

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    PS: On a similar note, have we discussed moving NPCs only available late in the game to earlier yet?
    I remember this request from Reddit but I'm not sure it has been posted over here. In fact, I think it hasn't, and it should.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    Indeed. I'll see if I can dig it up.
    edited June 2012
    No i actually agree with Lindeblom, I think that many of the changes aimed at making the game easier aren't great. I suggested this change because it allows more customisation of your party rather than making the game easier. I hate that Khalid and Jaheria have such poor melee potential and so I rarely take them. Similarly to how Kaigan needs the Gauntlets of Dex to be worthwhile, they need the gauntlets of strength to be worthwhile unless you enjoy them for RP reasons.

This change wouldn't make the game easier anyway per se, since those characters that would benefit from it could be replaced by more powerful characters like Sharteel, Viconia or Yeslick instead. It just allows more flexibility with who you choose for your party.
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    Just use Shadowkeeper to give everyone 25 in all their stats, or make your own party IWD-style, since you obviously can't be bothered to figure out a rather simple combat system.
  • nulspacenulspace Member Posts: 100
    @technophobe what's with the aggression?
  • ZaccaroZaccaro Member Posts: 39
    @kore I find that there shouldn't be too many possibilities for the Gauntlets or any other Attribute-changes early on for the fact that you should play with the chars themselves and later see the potential they have with these items.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @technophobe Watch it, bub. *snickt*
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Tanthalas: I'm with you on this, often weakness is a price you pay for being more powerful later on (especially in the case of a monk). I think greater customisation flexibility is a tenuous reason for making more powerful items avaiable earlier on.

Fair enough, everyone seems to disagree with me, which is fine.
    @Kore: It's not personal Kore, don't feel bad. BG is bigger than any of us (except Nexlit).
    Don't worry I didn't :)

Maybe it's a good thing that the gauntlets are holed up in the Gate otherwise Nexlit might get him hands on them and he would then become a force to be reckoned with!
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Nah, the Gauntlets don't have any Resist Fire on them.
    His one and only weakness.
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    Please do not make BG1 easier with powerful items earlier! You'll lose interest faster and replayability will be reduced. When you think about it, many of the items you can get are way overpowered as it is! And, the game is quite easy when doing a second run. Good luck with the brainstorming for enhancement ideas!