Skip to content

Struck by lightning! Ouch!

CathiusCathius Member Posts: 18
LoL! Rain is pourin down over the friendly arm inn. Was just leaving to go kill some ankheg and all of sudden Khalid gets struck by lightning! Weather or Avenger Druids following me?

I never saw this happen in the original BG. This is a new thing introduced or i just never happened to me before?

Comments

• GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    It has always been present but I do seem to notice it happening more frequently in BG:EE.
  • CathiusCathius Member Posts: 18

It happens. Just bad luck. There's always the chance of a lightning strike if you are outdoors in heavy rain. In my BG 2 playthrough I was all ready to explore the Umar Hills, then lightning hit Minsc and the party decided to hide in the local inn for the rest of day until the storm passed. lol

In BG EE I was cheesing to kill Drizzt, and he was finished off by a lightning strike, which was actually annoyin cos it meant I didn't get experience for it.

Hahhahaha... Hiding in the in from rain. Love that one :P Losing Drizzt XP just sucks :P
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Cathius said:

I never saw this happen in the original BG.

IIRC, it didn't happen in the original (pre-TOTSC) BG, but TOTSC introduced it.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2013

Cathius said:

I never saw this happen in the original BG.

IIRC, it didn't happen in the original (pre-TOTSC) BG, but TOTSC introduced it.

I never owned TOTSC as a kid (only ended up with it years later through Gog) but I'm quite sure I got hit by lightning back then with BG1 vanilla.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    It damages %50 of max hp of the creature it strikes IIRC
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2013
    I always turn off the weather if I'm going for a no-reload or minimal reload. I don't think it's fair to have to reload when it hits Charname. I'd accept it as realism if there were some way to take shelter from it, but there's not. I've tried immediately setting up camp when a thunderstorm hits in the wilderness, but resting outside doesn't seem to re-roll the weather variable.

Oh, and no, it does as much damage as a Call Lightning spell. I've had low-level Charnames killed by it before.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959

I always turn off the weather if I'm going for a no-reload or minimal reload. I don't think it's fair to have to reload when it hits Charname. I'd accept it as realism if there were some way to take shelter from it, but there's not. I've tried immediately setting up camp when a thunderstorm hits in the wilderness, but resting outside doesn't seem to re-roll the weather variable.

Oh, and no, it does as much damage as a Call Lightning spell. I've had low-level Charnames killed by it before.

I think it's worse in BG EE, possibly cos characters are lower level, possibly cos the chance of multiple strikes are greater. I remember suffering a party-wipe in BG EE as a result of lightning too.

In BG 2 it doesn't seem to be a significant problem, only one occurrence so far, but then I am not exploring the outdoors as much as in BG EE.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited August 2013
    If it starts raining, just take off any metal armor you're wearing. I find that it usually strikes those that are in full plate and packing steel (Minsc, Dorn, Kagain).
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I'm fairly certain I remember it in the original baldur's gate (pre-TotSC) but it only did 1 damage. Or maybe it was TotSC it only did 1 damage. Either way it does a lot more damage now, but I'm fine with that.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Definitely seems to be happening more lately, but it's not usually a big deal unless you spent a lot of time wandering around at low hp. I've never seen it kill a near-full character, although of course proving a negative is more difficult than proving a positive.
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    When it starts raining immediately hit the rest button.
    My first time ever playing it started raining shortly after I was joined by imoen... bam, lightening chunked her. I jumped out of my seat, screamed nooooooo! and reloaded the game. (there was no indication in game that such a thing was possible, she didn't have ANY metal on her body, and there were trees nearby as well as characters who were wearing metal armor but didn't get hit)
    edited August 2013
    Flashburn said:

If it starts raining, just take off any metal armor you're wearing. I find that it usually strikes those that are in full plate and packing steel (Minsc, Dorn, Kagain).

Hehe I hardly think they hardcoded the lightning to have a higher probability to hit a character with metal on them. They'd have to add values to all items and increasing the chance you'll get hit for each in your inventory or such?!

If it was the case! I'd make the lightning conductor character! Metal ONLY!
    Charname being the one conducting lightning and transferring it to others.

Charname: "Dude, pull my finger."
    Khalid: -"I... I - I.. I don't wanna do that!"
    Charname: "C'mon dude it'll be fun! Promise!"
    Khalid: -"Uggghhh okay?! I'll ju..." *BAM* Struck by lightning - conducted to Khalid. *ROASTEEED*

• FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    Cathius said:

LoL! Rain is pourin down over the friendly arm inn. Was just leaving to go kill some ankheg and all of sudden Khalid gets struck by lightning! Weather or Avenger Druids following me?

I never saw this happen in the original BG. This is a new thing introduced or i just never happened to me before?

Cathius said:

Yes it happens a lot in BGEE and as if God knew the will of CHARNAME, Khalid seems to be quite conductive..
    Fredjo said:

Yes it happens a lot in BGEE and as if God knew the will of CHARNAME, Khalid seems to be quite conductive..

Hahahah...
    *Khalid lies dead. Fried by the vengeful lightning of the gods*
    *Charname avoids Jaheiras gaze while aiming for the reform group button*

• FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    On a recent BG:EE playthrough, my 6 person avg level 4 party was reduced to a 2 person party in the space of seconds on that lighthouse map near the coast.

I could not believe how rapidly and repeatedly those lightning strikes hit.
  • zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
    Last night in fight with Senjack and Dorotea, they both got strucked twice. Garrick also was a little bit shocked about that :)
    zupsky said:

Last night in fight with Senjack and Dorotea, they both got strucked twice. Garrick also was a little bit shocked about that :)

I'm pretty sure that's scripted...

• zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126

zupsky said:

I'm pretty sure that's scripted...

Nope.
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    First time it happened to me was after I got the idol from the dig.
    Thought it was cursed at first, as I kept getting pummeled by lightning.
    Made me jump first time it happened.
    Almost threw it away until I read it's just normal Sword Coast weather.
    Bummer..
    Cursed Idol would have been cool.
    ogreb said:

First time it happened to me was after I got the idol from the dig.
    Thought it was cursed at first, as I kept getting pummeled by lightning.
    Made me jump first time it happened.
    Almost threw it away until I read it's just normal Sword Coast weather.
    Bummer..
    Cursed Idol would have been cool.

I slaughtered the Temple of Umberlee in Baldur's Gate in retribution for such bad weather.

Hmm... comes to think of it, Charname's sea voyages haven't been very smooth ever since... (Isle of Balduran, getting off Spellhold)

• NeroNero Member Posts: 16
    I remember playing original BG1 a ways back and getting nerdfurious when my charname got nuked to death by a bolt of lightning :)
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    I had an interesting lightning experience earlier today. I was walking through Beregost to sell some well-earned trinkets & I heard a lightning bolt - it hit a Commoner & killed him. Not sure if this is supposed to happen, but I found it amusing.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited September 2013
    I'm pretty sure the "attracted to metal" thing is an urban myth ingame. It hit my PC sorcerer yesterday, and she had 0 items made of metal equipped or in her inventory.

*Edit* And was stood next to Khalid in Platemail holding a longsword.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited September 2013

I'm fairly certain I remember it in the original baldur's gate (pre-TotSC) but it only did 1 damage. Or maybe it was TotSC it only did 1 damage. Either way it does a lot more damage now, but I'm fine with that.

IIRC, it did Zero damage in original BG. It was basically just for Ss & Gs.

I find it rather frustrating and unnecessary that lightning was made potentially lethal (and even more frequent) in the new game.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    I don't believe it! Is my charname the only charname who has not been struck by lightning?
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    If only one could get rid of annoying NPC's by placing them outside in stormy weather....
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @doggy You've just given me a very mean idea involving Brave Sir Garrick and a Pixies song on loop...