Skip to content

Doing Durlag's Tower for the first time EVER

I know the broad strokes, but have never explored anything but the most cursory examination of the upper levels. I remember where the succubus is, but that's about it. Did EE change anything important? I know other places to get walkthroughs, but is there anything I MUST NOT do?

(Did I post this in the wrong forum?)

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited August 2013
    ee doesn't change any of the original content, so it is the same as the walkthroughs :)
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    I only played through Durlag's once. The biggest motivation for a dungeon crawl is the loot, but all those new, nice items are going to be gone as soon as I start BG 2. It makes the whole thing seem rather pointless, and I don't need the extra exp and items to kill Sarevok.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    Make sure you have a thief with HIGH find traps =)
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I think Durlag's is more fun if you treat it as an ongoing project. You can do the upper levels pretty early. Just pace it out and do it over the course of the game.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    CaptRory said:

I think Durlag's is more fun if you treat it as an ongoing project. You can do the upper levels pretty early. Just pace it out and do it over the course of the game.

Oh at this point my Sorcerer and his team have done everything up to escaping Candlekeep's catacombs. I've done Werewolf and Ice islands, too. What's left is going back to BG itself. Basically, my plan is to do Durlag's (not sure If I'll return to Ulgoth's if I don't have to, not really interested in fighting Aec'tec), and then have him stand pat until Adventure Y is released....if it ever is.

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Sounds like a plan~ That's what I usually do. I'm trying something different in this game I'm playing with my dad and I'm enjoying doing it in bites more than trying to wolf it down at the end of the game before going into the end game.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    edited August 2013
    Make sure you enjoy your first time around. After solving all the puzzles once going in there on future playthroughs can feel like a chore looking for the puzzle items and remembering the more annoying things.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    Wisdom-raising book on the top floor!! Reason enough to go. When you hit the lower levels, there is a point you cant return to the surface for a breather, IIRC.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I really enjoyed Durlag's Tower, and did it all in one go except a quick trip to Gullykin to sell loot and replenish potion stocks.

I did it without a walkthrough, so I felt a genuine sense of achievement to make it out alive. :D Also the battle against Aec'Letec is probably the most epic/memorable battle I've had in BG 1.

Overall I just feel it was much better done than the Isle of Balduran, which really was just a monster grind.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    as long as you have 100 find traps, and 90 open locks, you can go into that dungeon at any level and beat it, I remember back in the bg vanilla days, I used to go in there at 40 000 xp ( because at that level my Halfling thief would hit those bench marks) and beat the whole tower, so I would beat the whole tower before I would even go to the nashkiel mines, right arm :)