Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477

Cerevant said:

Do I get 300xp if I give you the same answer 30 times? ;)

... Yes. (? did I answer that right?)
    ..Yes. (? did I answer that right?)
    SophiaSixheadeddog
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Adventure Y? An addition for BG EE? Like the Black Pits? Or part of the main quest? Sorry if this has been answered before... I'm quite new to the party. :D
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

Adventure Y? An addition for BG EE? Like the Black Pits? Or part of the main quest? Sorry if this has been answered before... I'm quite new to the party. :D

It hasn't been answered, largely because we're not at a point where we can talk about it yet.
  • rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    @Dee

So for clarity, because I haven't seen this answered fully:

With the legal wrangling now behind us, has anything changed on the "adding/change content to BG/BG2" front changed?

I understand that maybe you can't go into detail about that for legal reasons, but I can't imagine that a yes or no (or maybe) would be an issue.z

And second, would it be possible to release just the patched folders that Steam users could merge into their game files to try it out? Something like that wouldn't be releasing a useable game to anyone who purchased it and would let us (for once) actually have a chance to be playing concurrently with Beamdog.com purchasers. There's not a day goes by that I regret buying it from Steam but I really don't have the money to shell out on another copy =\
  • RemenissionsRemenissions Member Posts: 102
    Dee said:

The Beta will be open to anyone who has purchased the game through Beamdog.com, and will be distributed via the Beamdog client.

"has" So if I re-buy BG:EE through Beamdog right now, then will I have access to the open beta?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Question:
    Are you going to change the way custom portraits are being browsed in BG:EE at character creation? I find browsing smaller portraits extremely annoying, especially when you have hundreds of those. Browsing bigger portraits isn't so comfortable either. So, any plans on changing it in the future?
    rathlord said:

@Dee

So for clarity, because I haven't seen this answered fully:

With the legal wrangling now behind us, has anything changed on the "adding/change content to BG/BG2" front changed?

I understand that maybe you can't go into detail about that for legal reasons, but I can't imagine that a yes or no (or maybe) would be an issue.z

As far as I know, our contract details surrounding changes to content has not been altered.
    And second, would it be possible to release just the patched folders that Steam users could merge into their game files to try it out? Something like that wouldn't be releasing a useable game to anyone who purchased it and would let us (for once) actually have a chance to be playing concurrently with Beamdog.com purchasers. There's not a day goes by that I regret buying it from Steam but I really don't have the money to shell out on another copy =\
    Sadly no. There's a lot more that's been altered than just a few game resources, and it would be a bit of a nightmare to determine what could be released by itself as a (massive) hot-fix.

I know it sucks, but you have to understand that as much as this Open Beta is great for our players, its primary goal is to help us do broad system testing to make sure everything works; so we need to make sure that everyone playing it is playing the same version and not a partial patch that may have things missing.
    Ignosco said:

Will the Japanese translation of BG:EE be included in the upcoming patch?

Thanks!

I recommend asking the Japanese translation team where things stand. We have not yet received a final translation for Japanese, as far as I know.

Dee said:

The Beta will be open to anyone who has purchased the game through Beamdog.com, and will be distributed via the Beamdog client.

"has" So if I re-buy BG:EE through Beamdog right now, then will I have access to the open beta?
    As far as I know, yes, anyone with a copy purchased through Beamdog.com is entitled to a copy of the open beta when it goes live.

Question:
    Are you going to change the way custom portraits are being browsed in BG:EE at character creation? I find browsing smaller portraits extremely annoying, especially when you have hundreds of those. Browsing bigger portraits isn't so comfortable either. So, any plans on changing it in the future?

Have you submitted a feature request for this? It's certainly on our radar, although there are other priorities at the moment. Start a thread in the Feature Requests forum and see if you can get some feedback about how you'd like it implemented, and we'll definitely take a look.
    JuliusBorisov
  • NoxgNoxg Member Posts: 2
    I've got some suggestion for the prologue of the game.

First : When attacked by the assassins, the journal update should occur as soon as the encounter starts instead of after the guy is dead. This way, if you spare him (Spook spell, knock down, or any other mean), the journal will update itself with the information about the attack.

Second : When ambushed, Gorion should cast a protective spell like Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Ghost armor or even invisibility on the protagonist. So, if the main character is not a warrior, it becomes plausible that he survive the two arrow shots made by one of the bandits.
    Noxg said:

I've got some suggestion for the prologue of the game.

First : When attacked by the assassins, the journal update should occur as soon as the encounter starts instead of after the guy is dead. This way, if you spare him (Spook spell, knock down, or any other mean), the journal will update itself with the information about the attack.

Second : When ambushed, Gorion should cast a protective spell like Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Ghost armor or even invisibility on the protagonist. So, if the main character is not a warrior, it becomes plausible that he survive the two arrow shots made by one of the bandits.

I recommend posting these in Feature Requests; I can't promise they'll get a look in this thread.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473

Question:

Though I agree browsing portraits could be made easier. I find it quite simple to browse and decide portraits in explorer then just find it by name when creating a character.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Ermmm... I'm a bit confused by the above discussion between Dee and rathlord.

As I understand it, you only need to have bought the game via Beamdog in order to participate in Open Beta. Otherwise Steam players will get the benefit of the new patch when it is released.

I guess it will be cool to play the beta... but I don't see it as being critical, it's not like this is a MMO, where playing open beta gives u a chance to learn the metagame changes to help u stay ahead of the competition.
    perius
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    Apologies if someone has already asked this.Has the customised voice packs issue been looked at all and the video stuttering.I have to use the Mod with the old movies,not that mind i love the original intro(not knocking the new ones though) but the stuttering was immersion breaking.
  • bdeonovicbdeonovic Member Posts: 86
    Are there plans to have a pre-order for BG2:EE like you did for BG:EE? When will that begin???
    JuliusBorisov
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @Dee I had another question about the patch. Regarding the changes to the renderer / UI: are you guys testing a hybrid mode, wherein the inventory, journal etc screens are scaled, but the actual live game window (I don't know what else to call this) is unscaled? Nathan talked about this being a possibility a back in ~December, and I think it's probably one of the biggest UI features those of us on the PC who play unscaled would like.
    @bdeonovic
    I can't comment on our plans for BG2, mainly because I think Trent would put my head on a pike if I stole his thunder there. :) As soon as we're able we'll put out some informationg pertaining to BG2:EE.

@agris
    I don't want to reveal too much, but as soon as we're able to show some screenshots you'll be able to see what we've done. I think you'll be pleased.
    agris
  • CyberWombatCyberWombat Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for my poor English, sorry if it is wrong place to ask that question and sorry if someone asked it before (was unable to find).
    So, will it be Mac-version of the Baldur's Gate: EE on Steam? And if so -- when it gonna happen?

Thanks.

Sorry for my poor English, sorry if it is wrong place to ask that question and sorry if someone asked it before (was unable to find).
    So, will it be Mac-version of the Baldur's Gate: EE on Steam? And if so -- when it gonna happen?

Thanks.

Atari handles the version that gets distributed on Steam, not us; so if they decide to put out a Mac version on Steam, that's their decision.

We (Beamdog) handle the version from Beamdog and the Apple Store, which means those versions are updated more quickly and are better-guaranteed to work as intended. The Steam version has been known to experience some hiccups, particularly with regard to the community overlay (most of our players there have had to disable it entirely), but I definitely can't fault the convenience of having the game there with all your other games.
  • CyberWombatCyberWombat Member Posts: 2
    Dee said:

Atari handles the version that gets distributed on Steam, not us; so if they decide to put out a Mac version on Steam, that's their decision.

We (Beamdog) handle the version from Beamdog and the Apple Store, which means those versions are updated more quickly and are better-guaranteed to work as intended. The Steam version has been known to experience some hiccups, particularly with regard to the community overlay (most of our players there have had to disable it entirely), but I definitely can't fault the convenience of having the game there with all your other games.

Bad news. :( Didn't know that it is Atari who handles Steam version, bought it some time ago and was wandered, why there are no Mac-version as it was promised. Now everything is clear :( Hope Atari will add Mac-support in future.

Thanks for your answer and sorry again for my poor English.

• rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    @Dee If you guys control the distribution via the Apple store would you consider doing the beta there, as well? Also I'm not sure "open" beta is the correct term- that would imply the only thing needed to participate would be to want to. In reality, only a small portion of your users that fall within a certain criteria can participate, and that would be defined as a closed beta.

I don't mean to sound like a spaz about this, but you know all of us are really excited to get our hands on it.
    @Heindrich1988 It's not really about getting a leg up or anything like that, it's just that I'm probably not going to start playing again until the patch is released, and I'm looking forward to that.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    One year ago Trent Oster said BG2EE would be out for 2013.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/11064/#Comment_11064

Is this still true ? Or will BG2EE release in 2014 ?
    JuliusBorisov
    @rathlord
    The Apple Store has an approval process that also takes time, usually at least a week, and sometimes two or three. It's the same reason we can't do it for Steam-users; by the time you'd be getting the first version, the Beamdog customers would already be on their third or fourth update.
    Palanthis said:

One year ago Trent Oster said BG2EE would be out for 2013.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/11064/#Comment_11064

Is this still true ? Or will BG2EE release in 2014 ?

I think that if I answered that question definitively I might have to clean the office bathrooms again, so I'll say: we'll have some information about BG2EE fairly soon, which should answer a lot of questions.
    Fredjo
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    Dee said:

we'll have some information about BG2EE fairly soon, which should answer a lot of questions.

That's really good to know. Keep up the good work !
  • LordLeviathanLordLeviathan Member Posts: 97
    Do you guys are planning to finish the back stories for Rasaad, Neera and Dorn?

Because you were planning to do three chapters for each.

Also will then be back stories for the new npc thief or any new npc you put in bgee or bg2ee?

Thank you in advance.
  • GotNoUsernameGotNoUsername Member Posts: 49
    Hi
    I read that you add new contact part of the treaty was not altered if BG:EE does well may it be possible to change its and add new content too BG2:EE, new areas and quest could be a charm but they feel so pointless if not added into the game itself :-( . Also some altering of TOB would be a blessing. And an official Unfinished business for the BG:EE a dream.
    I hope you have proven yourself to the rights holder and can convince them to allow you to perfection the BG experience.
  • PadentonPadenton Member Posts: 48
    edited August 2013
    rathlord said:

@Dee If you guys control the distribution via the Apple store would you consider doing the beta there, as well? Also I'm not sure "open" beta is the correct term- that would imply the only thing needed to participate would be to want to. In reality, only a small portion of your users that fall within a certain criteria can participate, and that would be defined as a closed beta.

Generally, a closed beta is one where certain people are invited to beta test. Open beta is fairly accurate, as anyone can participate, even if you had to re-purchase the game or switch operating systems. You can participate in it if you want.
    A closed beta for example, would be if only the prominent modders could participate, like I think was done with BG:EE prior to release.
    TJ_Hookerelminster
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    edited August 2013
    edit: sorry for presuming, I was just trying to help.
    Post edited by agris on
  • GotNoUsernameGotNoUsername Member Posts: 49
    Not exactly what I wanted to say ^^""
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197

ilhdr said:

If you could change one thing in baldurs gate, what would it be?

More Noober. :P

... Where's my dislike button?... or, failing that, my "Nuke Nashkel" button?...
    MetallomanWiggles
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    I have been skimming this topic a bit here and there, mulling over my own questions. Most of my questions revolve around planned content rather than mechanics. So, I'll let fly:

1) I have to tell you guys, since I really haven't yet, that I absolutely *loved* the last update you guys put out. The new kits are great, so my first question is: are there plans to continue to put out new kits the same way you did with the February update?

1b) If the answer to the above is yes, will we see more kits in the style of the Dwarven Defender? (i.e. race-specific kits)

2) Perhaps I ought to cross-post this to the Features Request board, but are there any plans to open up the Blackguard kit to Half-Orcs? (as currently Dorn is breaking the game's rules [probably because he's evil])

3) I really like the addition of the Baeloth NPC. Are there any plans to add more NPCs to BG:EE?

4) Last question, I swear: when BG2:EE comes out, will features continue to be added to BG:EE? For example: let's say BG2:EE comes out, and it includes a new playable race, five new classes and twenty-six new kits. Would these hypothetical, as-yet-unnamed features be incorporated into both BG2:EE and its predecessor, plain-old BG:EE?
This discussion has been closed.