Skip to content

Higher plus arrows and bolts

JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
So, in BG1, archers are amazing. In BG2 and into TOB, they weaken dramatically, to the point where only the Archer kit remains viable as a primary ranged combatant. This seems to be generally accepted. There are a number of reasons for it, and fixing the problem entirely would be difficult, but there is an easy fix that'd help a lot. Add arrows and bolts +3 to BG2 (preferable available pre-underdark), and arrows and bolts +4 to TOB. This would enable archers to damage things like Balors and many TOB bosses without adding nearly enough power to bring them to their absurd BG1 levels. Adding these arrows would particularly help longbow archers (who can't fall back on the unloaded Shortbow of Gesen or the Firetooth crossbow), and therefore would make the TOB longbows slightly less terrible, but it'd help all archers at least a bit, which seems to be warranted.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    There are...they just aren't very common. About as common as the enemies they're actually needed to hurt.

Keep in mind, +2 can hit about 85% or so of enemies in the game. Only 4 (technically 5, since there's 2 demi-liches) in the game require +4 or above. and only about 12 or so require +3 or above. You get like 4 stacks of 40 +4 arrows, bolts, and bullets on the first floor of Watcher's keep alone. And more spread throughout the keep. And you can buy them in ToB at Saradush, Amekethran and that merchant in the area you warp to outside of Saradush.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited August 2013

There are...they just aren't very common. About as common as the enemies they're actually needed to hurt.

Keep in mind, +2 can hit about 85% or so of enemies in the game. Only 4 (technically 5, since there's 2 demi-liches) in the game require +4 or above. and only about 12 or so require +3 or above. You get like 4 stacks of 40 +4 arrows, bolts, and bullets on the first floor of Watcher's keep alone. And more spread throughout the keep. And you can buy them in ToB at Saradush, Amekethran and that merchant in the area you warp to outside of Saradush.

Err, I think your memory's a little rusty. Arrows and bolts +4 don't exist. I even looked using Near Infinity, and they were nowhere to be found.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There are +4 Bullets, but that's all in the way of ammunition. The earliest +3 arrows or bolts you can purchase are in Amkethran.
  • 10thLich10thLich Member Posts: 99
    And while we're at it:
    Do away with that "Oh, you found a +3 bow/arrow, pity but it doesn't grant a bonus to damage like in BG1". That was one of those decisions that baffled me the most, as it made sure that ranged damage stayed purely in a support role as an also-ran.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    actually you can buy +3 bolts and arrows at the inn in saradush, and the reason why the bows don't give that additional damage was to control them and for "balance" reasons, strong arm is still the best bow in the game for an archer with +3 to damage, which is more than enough for an archer, missile weapons are still incredibly powerful even with their reduced damage, and also, bows are very fast, I think they are more made for interruption than anything, plus one play through I did I had a custom team go straight to firkraag's lair ( so the time I fought firkraag I was level 9) and I had an archer on my team using heartseaker and arrows of piercing and I was averaging 12 damage a hit and I couldn't miss, so about 16 hits or so and he's toast, which only takes like 5 rounds, and that's only a level 9 archer taking down one of the game's strongest enemies, so I think everything is just hunky doory where it is :3
    Bows are never supposed to give a bonus to +damage from enhancement anyway. Nor slings. Only crossbows are supposed to give their bonus on plus damage, because they can never benefit from str bonuses.

What they really need to do, is tweak all the bows to give a damage bonus equal to their str requirement. Most of them are too low to have a bonus, but any bow with a 16 or above would have at least +1 damage. The Strong Arm should actually be doing +7 a hit, due to it's 19 str requirement.

In PnP bows can be specially made to benefit from str bonuses, but as a catch it also raises their str requirement to whatever amount of str you're trying to allow damage for.

16 = +1
    18 = +2 (maximum a short bow can benefit from)
    18/XX = +3-6
    19= +7
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    The one thing I suggested in the Beta phase of BGEE was that when calculating what Bows can hit, it should combine the Magic Level of the Launcher (Bow, Xbow, Sling) with that of the ammunition.

Ergo, a +2 Bow and a +2 Arrow would have a +4 Hittability.

I think this was an overlooked suggestion... but I really did push hard for Halberd's Piercing/Slashing damage change.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah, I'm inclined to say that bows do enough damage as it is, since there are some pretty good magic arrows in the game. But being unable to hurt Balors before TOB (unless you raid the first level of Watcher's Keep, which you really shouldn't have to do) would be nice, as would being able to hurt the TOB endboss. It really does hurt to not be able to damage some of the most important enemies in the game.

@Boaster: That's an interesting idea. I'd be all for it, but I don't know how easy it'd be to implement. Understand, half the reason I'm making the suggestion I am is that it'd be really easy to implement.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited August 2013
    Jarrakul said:

So, in BG1, archers are amazing. In BG2 and into TOB, they weaken dramatically, to the point where only the Archer kit remains viable as a primary ranged combatant. This seems to be generally accepted. There are a number of reasons for it, and fixing the problem entirely would be difficult, but there is an easy fix that'd help a lot. Add arrows and bolts +3 to BG2 (preferable available pre-underdark), and arrows and bolts +4 to TOB. This would enable archers to damage things like Balors and many TOB bosses without adding nearly enough power to bring them to their absurd BG1 levels. Adding these arrows would particularly help longbow archers (who can't fall back on the unloaded Shortbow of Gesen or the Firetooth crossbow), and therefore would make the TOB longbows slightly less terrible, but it'd help all archers at least a bit, which seems to be warranted.

Thoughts?

The power difference between BG and BG2 ranged efficacy is actually due to a number of other factors.

In BG, arrows applied their enchantment as both damage and thac0 bonuses (i.e. arrows +1 gave +1 damage and +1 thac0). In BG2, they no longer grant thac0 damage bonuses. Many elemental arrows had their damage severely nerfed.

In BG (and BGEE) slings applied strength bonus damage, which was dropped in BG2.

Walking speeds, in general, increased by about 25% from BG to BG2, allowing characters to get into melee range quicker.

Finally, a lot of the higher end monsters in BG2 have either AC bonuses against missiles, substantial missile damage reductions, or outright immunity (e.g. dragons can't be hit by non-magical projectiles). I think you'll find that +4 ammunition would still not help you much against the high level creatures.

The big problem with providing higher enchanted ammunition is that high end launchers stack with them. Adding +5 bolts to Firetooth would give you +10 to hit from the weapon and ammo alone, which is ridiculous at any level.
    Post edited by CamDawg on
    any fighter class that is using firetooth and level 21+ isn't going to miss regardless of +5 bolts or +1 bolts, AC's of enemies barely go pass -12, and hitting -10 thac0 with a range weapon is already extremely easy
    @Camdawg, I realize the difference is due to a number of factors. I've identified a single such factor that would be very easy to fix, and therefore I'm suggesting that it be fixed. What's the harm? Admittedly, I'd also like for magic arrows to add to damage, because they probably should and it wouldn't unbalance anything, but that's a somewhat harder fix. But hey, do them both if there's time, maybe ranged weapons will be good again.

That said, I don't get your last point at all. You're arguing that ranged weapons are too weak to be fixed, and then you turn around and argue that higher plus ammo would make them too good? Because they get an additional +1 or +2 to hit? How could that possibly be true?
    My point was that there's a lot of factors as to why ranged weapons aren't as powerful, and that your suggestion wouldn't address most of them while exacerbating one area where they're already fairly powerful.

Whether or not we should do it anyway is a different question, and one I didn't address.
    I think the ammunition in bg2 is just fine, I've never had a problem with how they dealt damage, I think more as in the bg2 stage of the game, they are made more for tactical combat, not necessarily for pure offensive damage, they are great for disrupting attacks and spells and such for enemy spell casters
    @CamDawg, I know that the difference in power is due to numerous factors. I've said that from the start. I question the assumption, though, that the ability to hurt 20-ish of the most powerful enemies in the game, including the TOB end boss, wouldn't be a significant boost. Enough to make ranged weapons as good as melee weapons? Certainly not. But it'd be something, and it'd be something in a key place where ranged weapons are uniquely and cripplingly lacking.

Now, as to your concern that an additional +1 or +2 to hit would unbalance them in some way... I just don't see it. I don't think even an additional +10 to hit would make ranged weapons nearly as good as melee weapons. THAC0 just isn't that important by mid-late BG2. I say let ranged weapons have their insane THAC0, let it get even more insane if that'd help them even a bit. Why not? Are we seriously concerned that ranged weapons might become too good because of another +2 to hit? High-level combatants don't exactly miss much. Frankly, I'd be surprised if anyone even noticed another +2 to hit by TOB. I guess it might make Imoen and Nalia marginally more effective with their bows, but I honestly don't see that as a major balance concern.

That said, I think I've argued this about as far as it's worth arguing. You've read my points, and me repeating them isn't gonna give you any more information. Given that slings already have the high plus ammo, and that shortbows and crossbows have workarounds in their infinite ammo launchers, I'm just not invested enough in this issue to argue it further than I already have. I just figured it was a very easy fix to a minor problem that would, in some small way, help to make ranged weapons less terrible.
    You know the factors, but other posters may not, so delineating them seemed to be a good idea for an informed discussion.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Maybe adding a bow that is only +1 but generates +4 or +5 arrows so it's basically a +5 bow with the ability to hit pretty much anything? This would get rid of the 'bow and arrow enchant bonus stacking for massive damage' issue. It's not really a full fix as it would be dependent on a single item but it seems like it's better than nothing.

Another alteration could could be restoring the enchantment damage bonus to arrows.
    It's the other way around. Launchers that generate their own ammo hit as their enhancement bonus with regard to what they can hit when using their generated ammo, but the damage done is determined by what ammo they generate.

Like Everard's Sling hit's as +5, but the bullets are just +2 damage.

Gesen hits as +4

That bow i can never remember the name of in trademeet hits as +3.

Or Firetooth (crossbow) hitting as +4/+5 but the bolts are just +2 fire bolts.

Essentially, Longbows are the only launcher that doesn't have option to hit +4 (and technically it does, Cattie-brie's bow hit's as +4 and is a longbow..but you have to deal that stupid Harpel if you kill them and steal it)
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up, tbh I don't often play BG2 with archers. Not sure what the answer is then, perhaps increasing fire rate and simply adding a few +5 launchers that can generate special ammo that amps damage rather than accuracy?
    edited August 2013
    Technically bows are already stronger then they should be.

They aren't supposed to benefit from any bonus attacks except from the bow having the speed property. Maybe haste.

And specialization/expertise is supposed to work completely different for bows/xbows then other weapons (** removes the to-hit penalty for firing at targets within 15 ft, and boosts damage by +1 (+2 for crossbows) for targets within 15ft (expertise doesn't get the damage bonus). And *** just adds another 15ft to maximum range that they can shoot without penalty, and removes the bonus attackers get when attempting to strike a bow/xbow wielder in melee).

From a balance perspective, the reason bows deal less damage then melee is due to melee having to accept much greater risks for it. And only having a base 1 attack, with most of it's value coming from str. A bow will perform just as well in the hands of weaker character as it will a stronger one, while melee weapons are MUCH less effective compared to someone with very high str or when used by a non-warrior class.

Getting up to +5 damage from specialization, or up to 2 extra attacks, is perfectly fine compensation.

But that only applies to warrior classes, rogues will still suck you may say? Well...yeah..cause rogues aren't meant for combat. Their only purpose in a party is utility. And I'm not making that up. It's LITERALLY their only purpose for existing. And due to the massive buff BG made to backstab, Thieves shouldn't go anywhere near a ranged weapon, unless their an assassin...and even then...darts are better for applying poison. And since bows have higher base attacks, it allows the rogues to deal more damage then they could vs BS immune enemies in melee. Barring dual-speed weapons, but with BG's nerf to rogue dual-wielding, it's not nearly as effective as it should be.